Is DMarshall on the hot seat????

Lets talk some Hoops!
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Is DMarshall on the hot seat????

Post by ktuck911 »

Love the guy, what he did the alma mater (UConn) as well as in the NBA... BUT... in all honesty, he seems to lose way too many players. Kids seem to be coming and going like a subway turnstyle in NYC in his program... What's going on????
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Is DMarshall on the hot seat????

Post by Skyhawkct »

I was going to make a similar comment regarding these hot new recruits but thought I was posting too much.

Yeah...he seems to get quality players but last year’s season ended in a dumpster fire.

These recruits look great on paper and perhaps they are indeed quality players but can DM coach and keep harmony in the team?
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

You can't start to build a team, then, after 2 seasons, there are always whole sale changes... How does continuity get built? hard to establish anything doing that.

I pray he's found the right chemistry to get this thing rolling finally...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ktuck911 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:16 pm Love the guy, what he did the alma mater (UConn) as well as in the NBA... BUT... in all honesty, he seems to lose way too many players. Kids seem to be coming and going like a subway turnstyle in NYC in his program... What's going on????
Some of this is accurate, and some of it is not.

He's certainly struggled in his first 3 years, as he made bets on JUCO guys and lost. But there was hardly any turnover until this spring, when more than likely he decided the existing players (minus Hugley) probably didn't fit his version of this program.

Your losing sight of the fact that CCSU has one of the lowest budgets in the NEC. No one would have won here...not Jay Young, not Pat Sellers, not Jared Grasso. It's been near impossible to recruit high school players...until this spring. Something probably changed, but I don't have that level of info.

No matter what happens this season, Marshall is not getting fired. There's no scenario in which the school is going to pay TWO head coaches.

I've certainly been critical of him, but I do sense that he's learning from mistakes and really putting in the work to be a coach and develop this program.

Everyone should give the staff a chance to develop this very talented recruiting class. If they can't, we will probably have a new head coach heading into the 21-22 season. But a lot can happen in 48 months.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Well stated 4-3. I was just very discouraged over the fiasco last year and of course I’m hoping for a huge turn around and a successful 2019-21 season.

I’ve talked to DM several times at Big Sky gym and I can tell that he is genuinely excited about being a head coach.

It looks like he’s got a talented bunch coming in and of course I’ll be hoping for nothing but the best for him and the team.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

We’re all hoping for the best for him and the school. Despite some early read flags for me, I really thought we were making progress. How last season ended and the complete turnover if the roster is very concerning.

That being said, what we have on paper for next season looks very promising. If he can put it together and win some games in the next 2 seasons, he may stay.

We can barely afford to keep the lights on, so I agree 100% with 4-3. Barring something drastic, he will be patrolling the sidelines for the next 2 seasons.

I also think he is trying and is putting the effort into this job. No complaints about what he trying to do here. And it’s certainly not personal ... as he knows DI basketball is a business too and we need better results.

Looking forward to hearing about off-season and preseason workouts with the team. We have a clean slate to start the season, so I can’t wait to see what they can do
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Part of the issue of CCSU having "the lowest budget in the NEC" is the lack of marketing your sports to fans/students/alumni ... How much of the budget would it be do simple s**t like update rosters on the athletic website and not wait til the day before the 1st game of the season to do so? How much would it cost to send social media updates thru Twitter, Instagram, Facebook?

I mean they don't even try the bare minimum...

Total joke for a D1 level college athletic department...

I hate saying that, because it'd be nice to see CCSU have success... BUT, somebody's not even trying... You can do bare minimum without expenditures being an issue... shameful....
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

For what it’s worth, I came across Murray Williams the other day. He and DM are pretty close and he told me that this years recruiting class is phenomenal and the team is “loaded”. Of course, that’s one persons opinion.

He has a lot of confidence in DM as well. 🤞