I know things are bad

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: I know things are bad

Post by ccsuhoops »

Totally agree hill but isn't that what most on this board wanted? Small wins the NEC right? Big men are a waste in the NEC right? We'll were small af and we aren't winning. DM brought in bigs for the first 3 years and guess what? Calgon take me away...
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

I think some of us are misremembering things. First off, this year’s team goes 6’9” and three guys who are 6’7”. In other words, basically the same size as last year. Secondly, Kohl was 6’5” and the best player on the team. He wasn’t a big. He was small forward who could play inside and outside; he was our leading rebounder in many games last year. Kohl averaged 18 and 7. Bute, at 6’9”, averaged 10 and 5. Who was more effective? I’ll take the 6’5” swing man any day.
The problem with this year’s team is inexperience, injuries, academics (Krishnan), and perimeter D. Trust me, throwing a 2-star 6’10 guy in the paint ain’t changing anything.
To paraphrase Rick Patino, “Corsley Edwards ain’t walking through that door, folks...”
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

BigBlue92 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:46 am I think some of us are misremembering things. First off, this year’s team goes, 6’9” and three guys who are 6’7”. In other words, basically the same size as last year. Secondly, Kohl was 6’5” and the best player on the team. He wasn’t a big. He was small forward who could play inside and outside; he was our leading rebounder in many games last year. Kohl averaged 18 and 7. Bute, at 6’9”, averaged 10 and 5. Who was more effective? I’ll take the 6’5” swing man any day.
The problem with this year’s team is inexperience, injuries, academics (Krishnan), and perimeter D. Trust me, throwing a 2-star 6’10 guy in the paint ain’t changing anything.
To paraphrase Rick Patino, “Corsley Edwards ain’t walking through that door, folks...”
Oh I want everyone of quality and size, I know we wont get it but drives me nuts w/ all the losing. Bottom line, last night was actually a great game minus the last 3/4 minutes. What made me the most mad was it was winnable, an adjustment here or there on d and we could have taken them. But alas, 0-15 bout to be 0-16 tomorrow. Don't forget SHU and our immense losing streak down there so dare I say 0-17 by the 15th...
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

But let's look on the bright side! We are up a spot on the net. 351 up from 352! Wooooooohooo! "Rebuilding" #-o
The Unknown Fan
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by The Unknown Fan »

With a little over 3 minutes left it was a one possession game and Donyell had 3 timeouts in his pocket. He did not call a timeout until about a minute left and Central was down by 11. Need I say more.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

BigBlue92 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:46 am I think some of us are misremembering things. First off, this year’s team goes 6’9” and three guys who are 6’7”. In other words, basically the same size as last year. Secondly, Kohl was 6’5” and the best player on the team. He wasn’t a big. He was small forward who could play inside and outside; he was our leading rebounder in many games last year. Kohl averaged 18 and 7. Bute, at 6’9”, averaged 10 and 5. Who was more effective? I’ll take the 6’5” swing man any day.
I'll second this...this team is NOT small, at least for an NEC team. Their effective height is 251st according to Kenpom, which is 3rd biggest in the NEC.

Last night LIU played effectively one player bigger than 6'6", and he (Flowers) is a perimeter oriented forward. CCSU killed it on the boards (allowed just 3 ORs) and they outscored LIU 30-24 in the paint.

There are plenty of issues with this program, but I'd put a lack of size near the bottom of things that need to be addressed.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

BB,
You are right Kohl was 6' 5" but he was a better PF than anyone there now. He led the team in rebounds. He was an exceptional talent in that he really could play four positions. Too bad, there was a big negative side.
Again, it is not all about height. If you note, I wrote about the "eyeball" test. You cannot possibly look at Central's front court versus almost any NEC front court and not say we are at a great disadvantage!
Don't get me wrong I think Wilson, Wallace, and Ayagama, are very good players who have a good upside. But despite the size they do not play like power forwards. They look like very good small forwards and would be great in conjunction with a legit NEC big man, like Bute.
Same with Coleman, he is a talented finesse player, but not really a PF.
My point is these guys are, because of necessity, playing out of position.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:57 pm My point is these guys are, because of necessity, playing out of position.
They're not though.

There's no team in the NEC that would be playing players like Wilson, Ayangma, Wallace and Coleman at the 3.

Just about every team plays 3 guards, a small-ball 4 (like Coleman), and a big. And some (like Bryant and Robert Morris) often have 4 guards on the floor at once.

Central is allowing opponents to shoot 51% from 3. That's not a size problem.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Central is allowing opponents to shoot 51% from 3. That's not a size problem.

Amen, its a DM problem.

Also, what do you guys think of Ola, serviceable? Kay type player that wont work out? Doesn't really play unless someone is in foul trouble or garbage time w/ DM Jr.
GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay »

I had a great time watching the game yesterday. You can analyze the hell out of the game but there were two teams on the court trying to win. Central has opportunities to pull ahead and just didn't make the baskets. Not because they were out sized not because of DM but rather just because they missed. I love the analysis of the game because I don't see the game in depth as others do but would love it more if it came before the game. Let's have some fun, put our necks and reputation on the line predict the score, the starters and out line how they need to yo set the offense and defense.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Rebound Margin per Game...... -8.7 (Overall) -------------------------- -9.7 (Conference)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is really bad! These so called "Power Forwards" are getting dominated in the interior.

And yes, the three point defense is atrocious! but so is the offense:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CCSU FG Pct........................... 39.3 (Overall) ------------ 44.7 (Conference)

Opponents' Field goal percentage..... 48.2 ----------------------- 52.5

CCSU 3PT Pct ------------------------- 33.9 ----------------------- 30.0

Opponents' 3PT percentage .......... 37.6------------------------ 50.6

NEC opponents (and admittedly RMU, SFU, amd LIU are top half of the league) are shooting a better 3PT Pct than Central's FG Pct!!!
If I am an opposing coach about to play Central, I am telling my three point shooters to loosen up their arms because they are going get a lot of use today.
Lovethat0
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by Lovethat0 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:28 pm Central is allowing opponents to shoot 51% from 3. That's not a size problem.

Amen, its a DM problem.

Also, what do you guys think of Ola, serviceable? Kay type player that wont work out? Doesn't really play unless someone is in foul trouble or garbage time w/ DM Jr.
Newsflash... Big Men take 2 years to fully develop at the collegiate level. EVERYONE knows that. If you’re not willing to invest the time and effort into doing that, don’t lie to them in the recruiting process and ruin their careers and overall love for the game. Let another coach who sees their upside have them and give the athlete the opportunity that they deserve and what they were promised. Kay for one was never allowed that luxury. Coming in he was “way ahead of where we expected him to be” said the Coaching Staff - until he didn’t keep up and they didn’t hold up their end of the deal by investing in him. #wittingham. Promised more of a leading role in Year 2, enter JUCO transfer Bute. Anyone remember how long it took him to settle in?? How many travels, fouls, missed lay-ups game after game? Yet he was allowed to make mistakes and get comfortable and eventually became a great Big for Central. But he was graced with patience from the staff. Promised to back-up Bute should he get injured or sick? Enter Hugely and in year 3, Wallace. Really??? Wallace a Big? Do you see how he gets bounced around by anyone with size? Bet they’d love to have a true big body in there now, right? Someone who could actually play some D? If you’re interested in what Kay had to offer, get film from the Oregon State game where DM allowed a 24-0 run until he played Kay who stopped the bleeding immediately. Or, the LMU game where he did the same.Who shut down Anosike at Sacred Heart with a double-block and steal plus?? Anytime there was significant size needed, they would use him but pull him when he started to impact the game. But, no one ever got to see what he really had because they had no idea how to use him. No idea. He was a skilled big man and they let him rot on the bench. So do I think Ola’s going to thrive at CCSU?? No chance. Not because he can’t do it, but because they don’t want to wait for him to develop or help him to get there. Somebody please explain to DM and Co. what rebuilding means. It’s obvious that they do not understand the concept. So confused why they would ever bring Ola on in the first place. Show him some respect and common decency and find him a new home for next season where they will put some effort into him.
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 »

hilltopper wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:37 pm Rebound Margin per Game...... -8.7 (Overall) -------------------------- -9.7 (Conference)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is really bad! These so called "Power Forwards" are getting dominated in the interior.

And yes, the three point defense is atrocious! but so is the offense:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CCSU FG Pct........................... 39.3 (Overall) ------------ 44.7 (Conference)

Opponents' Field goal percentage..... 48.2 ----------------------- 52.5

CCSU 3PT Pct ------------------------- 33.9 ----------------------- 30.0

Opponents' 3PT percentage .......... 37.6------------------------ 50.6

NEC opponents (and admittedly RMU, SFU, amd LIU are top half of the league) are shooting a better 3PT Pct than Central's FG Pct!!!
If I am an opposing coach about to play Central, I am telling my three point shooters to loosen up their arms because they are going get a lot of use today.
Of course you get outrebounded when you can’t shoot and the other teams don’t miss. You need to look at rebounding percentages.
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 »

I turned on LIU at 63-60 and it fell apart from there.

Anyone who can watch these games close enough to analyze them. Kudos. It’s impossible to watch for more than a few minutes at a time.
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 »

If anyone at Central pretends to give a damn about basketball..

https://twitter.com/Dmarsh42/status/1215822965373313024

If they don’t blow this thing up they should smother it under a pillow.