I know things are bad

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I know things are bad

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:58 pm Why is the NEC straying away from Thursday/ Saturday? I get Presidents’ Day Tuesday but what’s with the Friday Sunday games?
It is due to the odd number of teams (11) in the league. When we had 10 teams everyone would play Thursday/Saturday. Additionally, we played a 18-game full round robin schedule bb

Now, we have to rotate a "bye" through the league schedule and we play 2 of 10 teams just once.

I'm not in favor of adding New Haven (or really anyone else) but a 10- or 12-team basketball league is better than 11 for scheduling purposes.
GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay »

I know things are bad when die hard fans post under topic called " I know things are bad" after a win.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Sad fact is there is just no reason to start new threads for each game. Congrats to the kids on the win vs Bryant, but I just can't wait for the season to end so we can move on.

The WBB coach (a CCSU alum) is still on Admin leave with no explanation. The basketball programs are in really bad shape.

I don't envy Tom P. right now. He is basically taking over in the absolutely lowest point in our athletic history. The department is a mess and he's got to fix it with limited resources, a broken bureaucracy, and an apathetic fan base. I don't know what we can do but to move on.

We need to thank Beryl and Donyell for their efforts and move on. We can't judge these programs by games and wins anymore. Things are still really bad ...

I'm waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

GameDay wrote:I know things are bad when die hard fans post under topic called " I know things are bad" after a win.
Sad but true. As the game had 7 seconds left and a 6 point lead, the realization that it was now almost impossible to lose this one, sunk in. What a strange feeling... that only highlighted that things are still bad.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

Man, some people on this site have certainly changed their tune on some things. Some of the same people who were arguing with me and 4-3 about analytics only a year ago—ie It’s “not important” that Donyell and his staff don’t utilize analytics...Analytics should “be taken with a grain of salt”...and a You “don’t need a math degree” to understand basketball—are now quoting stats such as PPP, railing against the high number of mid-range jumpers, and complaining about the lack of offensive efficiency.
GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay »

Does DM now use analytics?
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

GameDay wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:41 pm Does DM now use analytics?
Apparently not.
7E21C784-CAB0-46BC-9C79-AECF1D6FACC0.jpeg
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

GameDay wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:41 pm Does DM now use analytics?
Who knows, but I wouldn't think so, most notably because their shot quality metrics on both sides of the ball are rated near the bottom of the country (#351 offensively, #342 defensively). I wouldn't think any coaches utilizing analytics would devalue the three-point shot that much.

Plus the data says that Rowe and Newkirk have been the teams worst two players, yet one of them is always on the floor. I get that most coaches want a "true point guard" on the floor, but the team would be better with a lineup of something like Baker, Krishnan, Reed, Outlaw and a big. What you lose in ball handling you more than make up for it in shooting.

Outside of that, it's tough to look at stats and figure out if they're using analytics. But they don't strike me as being super-progressive (it's not like they are utilizing 2-for-1s or fouling bad free throw shooters to get they ball back at the end of the 1st half).
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

BigBlue92 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:35 pm Man, some people on this site have certainly changed their tune on some things. Some of the same people who were arguing with me and 4-3 about analytics only a year ago—ie It’s “not important” that Donyell and his staff don’t utilize analytics...Analytics should “be taken with a grain of salt”...and a You “don’t need a math degree” to understand basketball—are now quoting stats such as PPP, railing against the high number of mid-range jumpers, and complaining about the lack of offensive efficiency.
Guilty and I still don't like them. Like anything else with technology, it takes some of the fun out of it. Knowing exactly what your opponent do and does, takes away from the old school game of scouting, playing and coaching. BUT, considering EVERYONE is doing it and we are obviously one of the worst teams in the country, its hard not to get on board. Like anything else, the game isn't the same any more but winning and losing is so may as well jump on board. Death to the mid range jumper! :twisted:
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:24 am
Guilty and I still don't like them. Like anything else with technology, it takes some of the fun out of it. Knowing exactly what your opponent do and does, takes away from the old school game of scouting, playing and coaching. BUT, considering EVERYONE is doing it and we are obviously one of the worst team in the country, its hard not to get on board. Like anything else, the game isn't the same any more but winning and losing is so may as well jump on board. Death to the mid range jumper! :twisted:
Hoops...that makes complete sense. If I could put it as succinctly as possible: analytics is using the data to slightly increase the odds of winning. It's never going to get you from 0% to 100%, but could help you go from 48% win expectancy to 52%. That's not nothing.

Most coaches who are using analytics are balancing the data with video. Some first look at the data, then dive into video trying to confirm the data, while others do the opposite. I do not think our staff is using advanced data to scout opponents.

But it's also a tool to help develop players, and that's the thing I worry about most with this staff. I have, obviously, no way of knowing if the CCSU staff is doing this, but there are programs out there that are logging every shot attempted in practice. Imagine knowing that (hypothetically) Greg Outlaw shoots 40% from three in the left corner on catch-and-shoots, while he only shoots 32% from the right corner? Or that off the dribble he's x% worse than on a catch-and- shoot. Then you can tailor your offensive system toward your players strengths. But the fact that Outlaw continues to shoot runners (I'm not sure he's made one this year) tells me that the staff is not telling him to avoid those shots. Bad shot selection for him may single-handedly be the reason he doesn't make the All-Rookie team.

There are a lot of good shooters on this team, but no players with strong eFG% because of shot selection. Not only does that hurt the team, but it hurts these players who have a shot to play pro ball.

You can also use analytics to know which lineups play best together, and why? Which combination is our best rebounding group? Transition? This stuff isn't publically available, but it's out there. Are we subscribing to this software? I doubt it.

Who knows, maybe the staff is doing this kind of analytic work behind the scenes. I certainly hope so, because if not they are doing the players a disservice. I'm sure the staff knows all the drills in the world to get players better. But perhaps it's best to use a baseball metaphor- no matter how much you work on your swing, if you swing at bad pitches you'll never be a good hitter. This team has a bunch of guys with great swings who are swinging at sliders in the dirt.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:24 am
BigBlue92 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:35 pm Man, some people on this site have certainly changed their tune on some things. Some of the same people who were arguing with me and 4-3 about analytics only a year ago—ie It’s “not important” that Donyell and his staff don’t utilize analytics...Analytics should “be taken with a grain of salt”...and a You “don’t need a math degree” to understand basketball—are now quoting stats such as PPP, railing against the high number of mid-range jumpers, and complaining about the lack of offensive efficiency.
Guilty and I still don't like them. Like anything else with technology, it takes some of the fun out of it. Knowing exactly what your opponent do and does, takes away from the old school game of scouting, playing and coaching. BUT, considering EVERYONE is doing it and we are obviously one of the worst teams in the country, its hard not to get on board. Like anything else, the game isn't the same any more but winning and losing is so may as well jump on board. Death to the mid range jumper! :twisted:
Does checking the box score take the fun out of the game? Does reading the Daily Racing Form take the fun out of picking a horse to win a race? I’d argue that those are the things that make sports MORE fun—reading between the lines, analyzing the info, trying to extrapolate info from the data.
And it definitely shouldn’t take away from the coaching or recruiting. On the contrary, it should ADD to the process. It’s just another evaluation tool. EVERY coach has used stats since the beginning of sports. And they use those stats by ANALYZING them. How many times do you hear a coach yell out, “That’s a bad shot!” Of “That’s not the shot we want you taking!” Now coaches can actually SHOW players which shots are most efficient for them.
Programs that have embraced this approach say that players love it. It’s a motivator, teaching tool, and goal-setting technique. And eventually leads to better basketball.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

One more game! THANK GOD!!!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

THANK GOD!

Glad to see what Coleman can do when he tries huh? Would have been nice to see some effort like that during the season. Don’t need that kind of player, have a nice life son. 3-27. Wow. Is that the worst season ever? Has to be. Just saw the other post on the out the door list. I’d be shocked if he didn’t return.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

I know things are bad when the best team in the conference is in it’s first year of a D-1 transition period.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

I know things are bad when the highlight of the last game of the MBB season is that we had the opportunity give a standing ovation to the 2019 Football team!