2020 NEC Tournament

Lets talk some Hoops!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2020 NEC Tournament

Post by hilltopper »

I watched the NEC Championship game. It was domination by RMU. Either SFU just did not bring their A game or RMU has just improved to the point where they are the clearly the dominant team in NEC MBB.
One thing for sure, they have a great Coach.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Just curious

Will MC receive a bid to the NIT since they are the regular season NEC champs? Or do they have to complete the transition?

It’s my understanding that the NIT can invite any team the committee agrees to...hence the word “Invitational”.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

hilltopper wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:17 pm I watched the NEC Championship game. It was domination by RMU. Either SFU just did not bring their A game or RMU has just improved to the point where they are the clearly the dominant team in NEC MBB.
One thing for sure, they have a great Coach.
I think it was a little of everything you typed. Three pointers I believe was the difference in the game. Everything else appeared close. They are clearly the class of the NEC as is their coach. It's such a colossal pain to travel there and no teams in the NEC fly to my knowledge so that makes it even worse. Each team has to take the dreaded trip to the "Northeast" to go there via bus, play two games and shlep home, usually with at least one loss. Heck even SFPA is 100 miles away from them, although I think they are further west. Never thought either team were a good fit but they've been here forever and I'll assume are staying here as I would have put money on RMU leaving after that new arena and I'm shocked that their coach has been there 10 years. Can't believe he hasn't had bigger offers. I'm assuming he has. So, really no reason to believe they wont continue in their domination and maybe that answers all my questions above.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Both schools were indeed in the conference forever. In fact, they were in the old ECAC Metro which is the NEC’s predecessor.

I still think though that RMU will be gone someday. I’m not sure how imminent that is because I don’t see any other reasonably considered conference that is geographically fit and/or that is looking to expand.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Skyhawkct wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:50 pm Just curious

Will MC receive a bid to the NIT since they are the regular season NEC champs? Or do they have to complete the transition?

It’s my understanding that the NIT can invite any team the committee agrees to...hence the word “Invitational”.
The NCAA bought out the NIT a few years ago. It is run by the NCAA hence, why the Regular Season champs who don't win the AQ are given a bid to the NIT.

Bottom line is Merrimack is ineligible for both the NCAA and NIT during their 4-season transition.

I think they have already been offered and will accepts a bid to the CIT.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

That’s right JJ. I forgot that the NCAA runs the NIT now.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

NEC and RMU got that game over just in time.

Conference tourneys and NCAA canceled ...

At least Hartford can't upset Vermont and earn their first NCAA bid :lol:
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Misery does love company doesn’t it? 😂
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

You guys are so right.

A lot of us said our program is jinxed after the EMU football game.

If we had a 20 win MBB season and won the conference tourney this year, there would have been no doubt.