11/25 @ UConn

Lets talk some Hoops!
User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 4250
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

11/25 @ UConn

Post by ccsuhoops »

Ugh. Here we go. It’s no secret I’m not a fan of this game. I can see this easily being a 60 point blow out.

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2020/11/25 ... J-Y4iMdOa8
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by J.J. »

I hear you, but I totally disagree. This is a game that needs to be played annually. We play multiple "guarantee" games every season and there is no reason we shouldn't cash a check from UConn every year. As lopsided as this game is, this is a rival - the only other public DI program in the state. This game is one of the reasons the school made the jump to D-I status in the mid 1980s.

Yes, it is depressing to watch us lose by 20, 30, 40 ... 70 points, but it doesn't have to be that way!

In 1980, Central was a D-II team and lost by just 12 points to D-I UConn. That was the Huskies inaugural year in the Big East and they went to earn a bid to the NIT that year.

In Jim Calhoun's first season at UConn and CCSU's first season at the D-I level, the Blue Devils lost by just 10 points (62-52) to the Huskies.

Overall, I agree that we have to be more competitive in these games. It looks horrible for the program and almost every one of the 14 losses haven't been close. This is our flagship program and we need to find a way to make these games bigger and better for the school. It is a spotlight game across the State and often times, is nationally televised (like today).

We can back down and avoid UConn and let them play games vs. Hartford, Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, Yale, and Fairfield, but I think that is the wrong signal to send to the players, students, fans, and alumni.
User avatar
ctbludevil
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Palm Beach Gardens Florida

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by ctbludevil »

Back when we we DI, they had shirts that said: "It's not Why, it's Why Not?". That should be reveres for this: It's not why not, it's why? Why subject ourselves tot his humiliations. DM has taken CCSU b-Ball to new lows. To see what Howie built destroyed by a a huskie is dark irony.
Palm Beach Florida
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by J.J. »

Central Connecticut stinks. A 4-27 record isn’t what you want, and the roster will need to make significant improvements in order to have much of a chance in the Northeast Conference this year.

The good news is that the Blue Devils basically have nowhere to go but up.
Also, I hate to say it, but nothing in that post was inaccurate or unfair. And that is the storyline you will get from anyone looking at CCSU right now. Doesn't matter if we are playing UConn, Rutgers, Maine, or Sacred Heart - we have a lot of work to do to turn things around.

Hopefully, that starts tonight! :)
User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 4250
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by ccsuhoops »

I agree on cashing the checks, no doubt. It’s just the humiliation that gets me from literally every sports fan I know. My phone will blow up tonight with people busting my stones 😂. Sick of losing and sick of DM making it worse instead of better. His quote about how you can’t judge him based on this year aggravated me. It’s the last 4 seasons, only one that showed slight improvement followed by a disaster instead of improvement. Kills me. I pray he turns us around starting tonight but I can’t see it based on the body of work to date...
User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 4250
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by ccsuhoops »

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by J.J. »

ctbludevil wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 am Back when we we DI, they had shirts that said: "It's not Why, it's Why Not?". That should be reveres for this: It's not why not, it's why? Why subject ourselves tot his humiliations. DM has taken CCSU b-Ball to new lows. To see what Howie built destroyed by a a huskie is dark irony.
If you look at the CCSU-UCONN series somewhat objectively, we've made the move to D-I very late (should have done it when Fairfield did in 1965).

In the first 3 games, during the end of the Perno era/Calhoun's first season, they were closer games. Those UConn teams weren't great, they were just making their way into the Big East and didn't have of a reputation outside of New England.

[1986-87] 12/4/86 at UConn - L, 52-62 (FH)
[1985-86] 1/29/86 at UConn - L, 69-86 (FH)
[1979-80] 2/16/80 at UConn - L, 58-66 (FH)

Beginning with the 1987-88 season, Calhoun led UConn to National prominence. It remains one of the most impressive coaching accomplishments in college basketball history. Simply put, Jim Calhoun built a Top-10 program and we were in their backyard. CCSU (or any mid/low-major) had no chance to be very competitive.

CCSU was the last opponent UConn played in the Storrs Field House (L, 77-99). UConn was ranked #20 (the first time we played UConn as a rationally ranked program) and they fished that season in the NCAA Elite Eight.

In the next 6 matchups the Huskies were ranked (#5, #9, #21, #4, #6, #11) at the time time of the game vs. CCSU.

Even in the last 2 matchups (Howie vs. Olie), while UConn wasn't ranked they were still were post season teams.

UConn remains a powerhouse in our State and Nationally. UConn is a perennial Top-25 program and we will go into every game as David vs. Goliath, but isn't that what CCSU is all about? Scrappy underdog, underfunded and under appreciated. The blue collar college from New Britain that won't be outworked.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 am

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ctbludevil wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 am To see what Howie built destroyed by a a huskie is dark irony.
We finished #344 and #351 at Kenpom is Howie's final two seasons.

Howie built a great program, but it was destroyed at some point during the 2015 season. I'm not sure why (not suggesting it was Howie's doing, I still revere the man), but it starts with the fact that our budget has been one of the smallest in the NEC for the past 7 or 8 years. If you're pointing the finger at Donyell Marshall you're just looking for a comfortable scapegoat. The issues go well beyond who is the head coach.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:37 am I agree on cashing the checks, no doubt. It’s just the humiliation that gets me from literally every sports fan I know. My phone will blow up tonight with people busting my stones 😂. Sick of losing and sick of DM making it worse instead of better. His quote about how you can’t judge him based on this year aggravated me. It’s the last 4 seasons, only one that showed slight improvement followed by a disaster instead of improvement. Kills me. I pray he turns us around starting tonight but I can’t see it based on the body of work to date...
I agree. Listen, I think DM is doing a good job being a mentor to these kids. He's recruited great kids with talent. I give him a B+ on recruiting.

I do agree we shouldn't judge his record this year. With COVID, his #1 responsibility is keeping his kids safe and healthy (both physically and mentally). I have no doubt he's going to have a great season. He's got the right attitude about that.

I know where I stand on the issue of resigning him to a new contract - NO. The record and results over the first 4 years speak for themselves. There is likely nothing that will happen this year that will change my mind. That being said, it is going to be a strange year and I want to fully embrace this season and DM. When things bigger than basketball are effecting everyone, let's just be happy for the games that are played. I vow not to discuss new coaching options until the season is completed. I think we owe DM and the team our full support throughout the year!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:52 am
ctbludevil wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 am To see what Howie built destroyed by a a huskie is dark irony.
We finished #344 and #351 at Kenpom is Howie's final two seasons.

Howie built a great program, but it was destroyed at some point during the 2015 season. I'm not sure why (not suggesting it was Howie's doing, I still revere the man), but it starts with the fact that our budget has been one of the smallest in the NEC for the past 7 or 8 years. If you're pointing the finger at Donyell Marshall you're just looking for a comfortable scapegoat. The issues go well beyond who is the head coach.
Agree somewhat. Our budget is definitely a factor, but honestly I don't blame spreadsheets for what happened between the lines on the court.

Howie was great, but in his later seasons his offensive plans were horrible. I don't know if it was age, stubbornness, or just different assistants that didn't push back, but things were pretty bad the last 5 years.

The actual turning point was when we lost Vinales. We don't have to rehash the decision (it is what it is), but we just never recovered. DM inherited a disaster for sure, but his lack of experience as a head coach was going to be an issue and we haven't grown as a program. Hard to say we regressed, because as you point out those last 2 seasons under Howie were atrocious. Fact is that DM has produced results equally horrible as Mike Brown, Mark Adams, and Howie - and that's not a good enough reason to stay,
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 am

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 pm DM inherited a disaster for sure, but his lack of experience as a head coach was going to be an issue and we haven't grown as a program. Hard to say we regressed, because as you point out those last 2 seasons under Howie were atrocious. Fact is that DM has produced results equally horrible as Mike Brown, Mark Adams, and Howie - and that's not a good enough reason to stay,
Nothing you say is wrong- but it's not DM's fault he was hired.

There were more experienced, and probably more qualified, candidates for the opening back in 2016. That's the administration's fault, not Donyell Marshall's.

No, things haven't been good. But I don't think Jay Young would have had a ton of success here either, and I bet he's glad things worked out the way they have because he's going to have things rolling at Fairfield in short order.
User avatar
ctbludevil
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Palm Beach Gardens Florida

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by ctbludevil »

True that it is not all DM's fault but, even in Howie's worst days, I felt they were playing hard and had some hope. It may just be perspective, but it seems like DM's teams just don't have the "blue collar college from New Britain that won't be outworked" mentality. While DM did not have the experience, many coaches have had success without the pedigree DM had (look at Tim Clues at Iona) The deck is stacked against CCSU in CT but it always has been. Not saying we should go the the Tourney every year but we should be cellar dweller every year either. Time for a change.
Palm Beach Florida
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:54 pm
J.J. wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 pm DM inherited a disaster for sure, but his lack of experience as a head coach was going to be an issue and we haven't grown as a program. Hard to say we regressed, because as you point out those last 2 seasons under Howie were atrocious. Fact is that DM has produced results equally horrible as Mike Brown, Mark Adams, and Howie - and that's not a good enough reason to stay,
Nothing you say is wrong- but it's not DM's fault he was hired.

There were more experienced, and probably more qualified, candidates for the opening back in 2016. That's the administration's fault, not Donyell Marshall's.

No, things haven't been good. But I don't think Jay Young would have had a ton of success here either, and I bet he's glad things worked out the way they have because he's going to have things rolling at Fairfield in short order.
Preaching to the choir 4-3. :). And Bachoo is long gone and is cashing state pensions checks. The mistake was his and Jack caved.

Of course there was no guarantee that Jay Young and Paul would be in a better position today at Central, but I have no doubt they are thanking their lucky stars they are at Fairfield and not in New Britain anymore. Sad state of affairs.

I think we are very lucky to have Tom P. right now, but how much longer can the Admin keep the interim tag on him? We need formal leadership and resources to revive this program. An influx of new, fresh thinking from Davidson Hall and the budget to back it up. I’m not holding my breath ...
User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 4250
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by ccsuhoops »

Is there a list somewhere that depicts our budget or lack there of as opposed to the NEC teams? AE teams would be interesting to look at.

There is a survey floating around on how to make things better, Perhaps we all pay it a visit and make that point in the comments section.
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 618
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:35 am

Re: 11/25 @ UConn

Post by RonnyRob15 »

While DM has been a trainwreck in a number of ways - the program has sunk because it doesn’t have the resources to compete.

You don’t have to look to hard to see that they are running this on a shoestring. It actually looks exactly like UConn’s football program.

I can’t imagine how ugly it is under the covers.
Post Reply