Around the NEC 2020

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Around the NEC 2020

Post by ccsuhoops »

Looks like Wagner is taking it to SHU, up 23 with 12 min left...
SHU goes down by 28, Wagner pulls out their first win. We were picked in the middle of them. Wagner looked good but I think a lot of that was how bad SHU is...
Last edited by ccsuhoops on Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Around the NEC 2020

Post by ccsuhoops »

Looks like Bryant beat UMass. They are starting to do the things we couldn’t. That guys a good coach...
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

AND...They lost to Syracuse by just ONE earlier in the season. :shock:
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

That’s all I ask, to be relevant and headed in the right direction. See football as an example...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Bryant is 6-2 against D1 teams with a 1-point loss to Syracuse and a 2-point loss to St. Francis-Brooklyn. 3 points away from being 8-0. Oh and they lost one of their best players (incoming transfer Melo Eggleston) in the 1st half of their 1st game to a ruptured achilles.

They are 100% the team to beat. But after them? The Mount just lost their best scorer to an opt out (Jalen Gibbs), FDU lost two starters to opt-outs (Malone-Key and Devon Dunn), LIU just lost to Sacred Heart, and only the Mount (1-0) and Bryant (3-1) are above .500 in the league.

I'm not suggesting CCSU is likely to get into the Top 4 and qualify for the NEC Tournament. But it's certainly possible.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

CCSU4-3 wrote: I'm not suggesting CCSU is likely to get into the Top 4 and qualify for the NEC Tournament. But it's certainly possible.

So you are saying that there is still a chance!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

I'd agree here. Per usual, they are a Jekyll and Hyde team but Jekyll this year looks much better than the past 4. This season is just such a bummer and technically doesn't even really count does it? I mean all the players get another year tacked on which is good or bad depending on how you look at it, solid players are opting out which right there doesn't provide a true sense of what the league would look like if it were a normal year. Of course this would be the year that we make the NCAA's after 14 years and we can't even go, lol.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Much better game today for SHU.

You guys got me all aggravated now when I see an open three get ignored in favor of a crap two, 😂
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Good Lord, Bryant has cracked the top 100 , sitting at 91. Looks like 2-7 is in our future. 🤦🏻‍♂️ How far down the rabbit hole is CCSU? 267. Hopefully the team doesn’t look flat after all this time off and can get the split.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:19 pm Good Lord, Bryant has cracked the top 100 , sitting at 91. Looks like 2-7 is in our future. 🤦🏻‍♂️ How far down the rabbit hole is CCSU? 267. Hopefully the team doesn’t look flat after all this time off and can get the split.
Bryant is really good.

Kenpom has Bryant -12, or 85% to win each game against CCSU (72% to sweep, for you math nerds). CCSU splitting these games would be HUGE.

Given that FDU is without two expected starters in the pre-season, and Mount St. Mary's just lost their leading scorer (Jalen Gibbs), it's not unreasonable to suggest that CCSU has a shot to get into the top 4 and qualify for the NEC Tournament.

Bryant is the clear leader, and I still expect LIU to be in the thick of things. SFU looked good when they beat Pitt but have played since then without their starting PG (Ramiir Dixon-Conover) who will probably be back this week. I think right now those three are the three best teams in the league.

Who's #4? Anyone's guess. SFC has looked good, and we split with them. The Mount looked good before Gibbs left, it remains to be seen how they will play going forward. Wagner played Bryant tough but lost two. Merrimack has yet to play a game, and lost a ton from last season but have a really good coach.

FWIW Kenpom has only Bryant (duh) and Mount St. Mary's finishing better than 9-9 in the league, though it's system clearly isn't aware of Gibbs. Simply put- 9-9 with the right tie-breakers could get you into the NECT.

Central's next 5 games are 2 at Bryant, at SHU, 2 at home vs. Mount St. Mary's. Even going 2-3 during that period would put them at 4-5 and still very much in the hunt.