The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Lets talk some Hoops!
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Post by RonnyRob15 »

Wait... they might not make a coaching change? That’s impossible. Just shut down the program if that is in play.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Post by ccsuhoops »

Just speculation is all but imho, I see no way that he can be considered a rehire candidate, covid or not, 39 and 105 in five seasons is simply not getting it done.
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

"Would that D2 coach be a former Quinnipiac assistant?"
My error. The coach I am referring to is at a DIII program.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 pm Just speculation is all but imho, I see no way that he can be considered a rehire candidate, covid or not, 39 and 105 in five seasons is simply not getting it done.
Is it a reasonable expectation that they could prefer to keep Marshall until they identify a permanent Athletic Director?

I honestly have no idea, just asking the question. But I wouldn't think it's completely off the table.

Of course, as I've said 100 times by now; they should have had a final decision made 1 month ago, even if it hasn't been communicated to anyone. If the administration is having meetings this week to decide Marshall's fate, they've already failed the program.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

CCSU4-3 wrote:Is it a reasonable expectation that they could prefer to keep Marshall until they identify a permanent Athletic Director?
No, I don't think that is reasonable. If you have an acting AD then he should do the job of AD until told otherwise by his superiors, and there isn't anyway one can justify rehiring a head coach who has averaged 20 losses per year. An acting AD who is a viable candidate for the permanent AD position needs to do what an AD is supposed to do in order to show that he can be the permanent AD. If he opts to rehire he is only showing that he is not ready to make the decisions an AD is supposed to make.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:42 am
CCSU4-3 wrote:Is it a reasonable expectation that they could prefer to keep Marshall until they identify a permanent Athletic Director?
No, I don't think that is reasonable. If you have an acting AD then he should do the job of AD until told otherwise by his superiors, and there isn't anyway one can justify rehiring a head coach who has averaged 20 losses per year. An acting AD who is a viable candidate for the permanent AD position needs to do what an AD is supposed to do in order to show that he can be the permanent AD. If he opts to rehire he is only showing that he is not ready to make the decisions an AD is supposed to make.
I don't disagree with the general idea, but there's no way this is Tom's call. I'm sure he has a voice, and his recommendation has a lot of value, but he's not the one making the final decision.

Hell, 5 years ago we had a permanent AD and HE didn't even get to make the final call on the MBB hire.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Agreed with a BUT, and that but is, what if his boss won’t let him.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

We need a head coach who believes in math and accepts the modern game.
From “Shot Quality”:
Furman is 1st in NCAA in quality of midrange looks at .97 SQ PPP, and Mississippi Valley State is 333nd in 3PT shooting, but has the same SQ PPP of .97 on that shot!
Midrange shot = Not very good!
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

Shoreline wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:04 pm "Would that D2 coach be a former Quinnipiac assistant?"
My error. The coach I am referring to is at a DIII program.
I'm hesitant to mention this because I agreed earlier that we shouldn't get too deep into a conversation about a potential replacement. After all, we're not sure there will be a coaching change.

But I feel compelled to make a general comment about DIII coaches. When Howie left, I suggested a DIII coach and someone on this board made a good point - DIII recruiting is a whole different ball game than D1. With scholarships being the biggest factor.

The most successful coach I can think of who went from DIII to DI was Mike Longergan, who had head stints at Catholic, Vermont and George Washington, where I believe he won an NIT. He had some D1 success, but between Catholic and Vermont, he was an assistant at Maryland, where I suspect he learned the DI recruiting ropes. Basically, a D1 team hiring a DIII coach is a bold move. (When Lonergan was at Catholic, they came to CCSU to play in a tournament and I saw a DIII team, Catholic, beat a DI team, Albany)
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

I for one was rooting for my childhood buddy Kelvin Jefferson (former ODU assistant, now D2 Gannon HC... and has them Ballin out.)... coaching wise he simply had a better resume.

Love fellow UConn alumn Dontell Marshall, but this ain't for him. When you rebuild just about every year at this level, how can you win?

There's some real talent on this team, but "you play to win the game"... and no way does he have a leash as long as WBB Coach Piper. Unacceptable at this point.
BTW, I'm a huge Piper fan too, but that ship might've sailed as well.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Piper retired last year. Very few know what happened I sure ain’t one of them 😂
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I agree. We have a AD and I would hope the Administration (President and COO) let him do his job. He might retain the "interim" title, but he is in the best position to make a decision.

A DECISION ON THE CCSU MEN'S BASKETBALL HEAD COACH POSITION WILL BE MADE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

Remember, DM's contract expires at the end of this season, so he will not be FIRED. The school must decide to RE-HIRE him and offer a new contract.

My gut tells me he will NOT be renewed and we will start a process to hire a new head coach. However, we've seen this Administration drag their feet on selecting the AD (just to save budget money), so I would not be suspired if the announce and the process dragged on behind the scenes for weeks.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

My bad on Piper guys. Didn't know she'd already been gone.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

ktuck911 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:40 pm My bad on Piper guys. Didn't know she'd already been gone.
No problemo. It was all very weird honestly. She suddenly disappeared and then was on leave but nobody knew why but it felt like it wasn’t good...
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 »

Every 90 days we don’t hire someone we save 45k! That’s where this mess is.