Coaching Carousel 2021

Lets talk some Hoops!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Larryl9797 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:42 pm Patrick Sellers - 1991 ECC DPOY at CCSU; former assistant at CCSU, UConn, Hofstra, and UMass; current assistant at Fairfield

Steve Curran - Former assistant at CCSU (2005-2010) and current Associate HC at St. Bona

JJ -I love your list I have always been a huge Pat Sellars fan It is time to welcome him back....
Here's my opinion of Sellers: if he's the best man for the job, by all means hire him. But if he's hired because he was the 1991 ECC DPOY at CCSU, that's incredibly short-sighted.

Without having ever met any of the people who will likely be on the interview list (IF the job opens), there are coaches who have better resumes than Sellers does, and have proven more than Sellers has. Does that mean they'd be better hires? Not necessarily. Am I suggesting he'd be a bad hire? No.

I just don't want someone to be hired because he's a "Central Guy". If there's a good process in place, and Tom Pincince thinks Sellers is the right man for the job, I'll be 100% supportive from the get-go.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:34 pm
Larryl9797 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:42 pm Patrick Sellers - 1991 ECC DPOY at CCSU; former assistant at CCSU, UConn, Hofstra, and UMass; current assistant at Fairfield

Steve Curran - Former assistant at CCSU (2005-2010) and current Associate HC at St. Bona

JJ -I love your list I have always been a huge Pat Sellars fan It is time to welcome him back....
Here's my opinion of Sellers: if he's the best man for the job, by all means hire him. But if he's hired because he was the 1991 ECC DPOY at CCSU, that's incredibly short-sighted.

Without having ever met any of the people who will likely be on the interview list (IF the job opens), there are coaches who have better resumes than Sellers does, and have proven more than Sellers has. Does that mean they'd be better hires? Not necessarily. Am I suggesting he'd be a bad hire? No.

I just don't want someone to be hired because he's a "Central Guy". If there's a good process in place, and Tom Pincince thinks Sellers is the right man for the job, I'll be 100% supportive from the get-go.
Time will tell, that's for sure...
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

It's not a northeast school, but yesterday Eastern Illinois announced that they are not renewing Jay Spoonhour's contract. Spoonhour spent 9 seasons as the HC, with just two seasons better than .500 (both 9-7) in the OVC. Their season ended 2/27, one day after CCSU's. He made $160k/season, and his contract was through 4/9/21.

https://hoopdirt.com/spoonhours-contrac ... -illinois/
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I agree, the Administration should have already made their decision by now. It's a simple choice to A) say thanks for the last 5 seasons and move on, or B) negotiate a new contract. If I were to guess the decision has been made - it is just the execution is lacking.

It has been 1 week since our final game - we should have an announcement by now. This is not a good signal to give regardless of the outcome. If we are moving on, why delay the search process? And if they plan to extend, this delay is not a sign of confidence for fans or recruits.

As disappointing as the silence from CCSU is, I'm more frustrated that we haven't had any media coverage on this topic? The MBB coach is the highest profile and paying position at the school after the President. Why hasn't the NB Herald asked the questions and published an article? Where is the Courant, WTNH, WTIC? The student newspaper should be coving this issue too.

The lack of any media icoverage of this topic (outside this message board and some blogs) is a gut-check about the insignificant public perception of CCSU program :(
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

Yeah, insignificant perception indeed. I was concerned if they retained DM, there might be a lot of ridicule because the program renewed the contact of a coach with such a record. But if virtually no one cares, what ridicule would there be? So no worries there. :) (I care and I know you all do too, but hopefully you get my point)
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

For those of you living under a rock (i.e. not on Twitter), Donyell was let go this afternoon.

And the search begins...
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:06 pm For those of you living under a rock (i.e. not on Twitter), Donyell was let go this afternoon.

And the search begins...
I truly feel bad for the entire coaching staff. Really great guys. Unfortunately, this was the only option. So now we blow it up and start over again. It’s likely gonna be an ugly couple years but there’s light at the end of the tunnel.
newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite »

WOW!

what are the next steps?
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 * 2019
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

BigBlue92 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:40 pm
CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:06 pm For those of you living under a rock (i.e. not on Twitter), Donyell was let go this afternoon.

And the search begins...
I truly feel bad for the entire coaching staff. Really great guys. Unfortunately, this was the only option. So now we blow it up and start over again. It’s likely gonna be an ugly couple years but there’s light at the end of the tunnel.
Agreed. These guys tried hard and put a lot of work on but the results weren't there.

Hopefully they all move on and find success and joy in their next role.

It is now time to look ahead to the potential of the next era.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Mid-major jobs are coming open nearly by the day as we continue the first week of March. They're also starting to close.

Saturday morning brought the first full-time mid-major hiring of this year's cycle: Northern Illinois and Rashon Burno. The Arizona State assistant is leaving the desert after six years to take his first college head coaching job. Burno, 43, formerly played at DePaul.

"I am extremely excited about this opportunity," Burno said Saturday. "I believe I am aligned with what their vision is for the future, not only for men's basketball but also for the entire student body. I was very impressed with the overall vision and that made it easy for me to want to be at NIU."

Here's what else has happened as of late. On Friday, Central Connecticut announced five-year coach Donyell Marshall -- an in-state legend from his UConn playing days -- would be stepping down. The CCSU opening comes after Eastern Illinois, UAlbany, Denver and Binghamton all severed ties with their coaches earlier in the week. At Binghamton, Tommy Dempsey's contract was not renewed after nine seasons, so assistant Levell Sanders is taking over on an interim basis for the 2021-22 season.

Industry sources tell CBS Sports that at least a dozen mid-major jobs should come open in the next two weeks. With small conference tournaments ongoing, there will be more movement over the weekend as well.
Central Connecticut never found momentum under UConn legend Donyell Marshall, going 40-104 in five seasons. This is maybe the toughest job in the NEC.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... hon-burno/

I disagree that this is the toughest job in the NEC - I think they are equally challenging for a variety of different reasons. As the only public school in the NEC, with a terrific fanbase :) I think CCSU has some of the highest potential and upside - if you can recruit well and win league games.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Year after year of putting an inferior product on the basketball court has eroded Central's MBB attendance. But I can guarantee that if a contender is put on the court, the crowds will come. Central has in many years in the not so distant past led the NEC in attendance.
Present a good product and they will come.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

To remind anyone checking in on the conversation, CCSU is still the 3rd best job in Connecticut after UConn and Yale.

Howie led Central to three NCAA Tournaments (2000, 2002, 2007), and even though the last one was 14 years ago, the "competition" hasn't done much to make it a better "basketball job." Hard Hittin' New Britain is still #HardwareCity when it comes to mid-major basketball in the state.

Fairfield also has three NCAA appearances, but their most recent is older than CCSU's first.

NCAA Appearances:
UConn - 4x National Champions - 2014, 2011, 2004, 1999
Yale (5) - 2019, 2016, 1962, 1957, 1949
CCSU (3) - 2007, 2002, 2000
Fairfield (3) - 1997, 1987, 1986
Hartford (0)
Quinnipiac (0)
Sacred Heart (0)
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

I would like someone who's won as a head coach. My first choice would be Burrell, and I like Mitch Oliver, but I'm concerned is scholarship recruiting experience is limited.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

jcframingham wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:26 pm I would like someone who's won as a head coach. My first choice would be Burrell, and I like Mitch Oliver, but I'm concerned is scholarship recruiting experience is limited.
If that's the case, you have to consider Will Brown, the former Albany head coach.

He's got 5 NCAA D-I Tournament appearances!
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/co ... own-2.html

While this really won't be a "national search" - CCSU fans shouldn't be parochial and limit our own search to those with a connection to the state or school.

Again, I think this is going to be a strong and competitive list of candidates from throughout the Northeast region.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

Would we pay Brown enough?