Post by ctbludevil »

OK for all those reason, he will be our next coach. LOL
Palm Beach Florida
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ctbludevil wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:07 am OK for all those reason, he will be our next coach. LOL
haha

Honestly, we should trust the process. If Tom is seriously looking at him (I have no idea), then it's because they have solid intel to suggest he's a viable candidate.

Same with Pat Sellers and anyone else. Whoever is named the next coach will be a very good option.
UNHFan
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by UNHFan »

Central Connecticut: Early names making the rounds here – Jim Ferry (interim head coach Penn State), Mike Donnelly (head coach Florida Southern / former head coach Southern Connecticut), Steve Curran (associate head coach St. Bonaventure), Ted Hotaling (head coach New Haven), Will Brown (former head coach Albany), Tom Moore (assistant coach UConn / former head coach Quinnipiac), Patrick Sellers (assistant coach Fairfield / Central Connecticut alum), Scott Burrell (head coach Southern Connecticut), and Chris Casey (assistant coach Fairfield / former CCSU assistant).
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: CCSU MBB Coaching Search

Post by CCSU4-3 »

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-3-12-21/

Many names we've seen mentioned. One (Donnelly) we haven't, but he makes a lot of sense. Burrell won with Donnelly's roster in his first 2 seasons as HC at SCSU.

No mention of some guys I really like, such as Tobin Anderson, Matt Kingsley, Phil Martelli Jr., or Jack Perri.
UNHFan
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by UNHFan »

I hope you don't mind an outsider joining your board. I've always hoped that CCSU would join the America East and have been a fan of a poster on the AE board named Ace who is a fan of your fine school. From looking at the list Hoopdirt posted I think CCSU is going to get a great coach and be right back in the hunt for the NEC title. I would love to see Ferry or Will Brown be hired for you guys.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Can someone tell me why I have no confidence in the ability of a "committee" to get us a winning/the right coach?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:20 pm Can someone tell me why I have no confidence in the ability of a "committee" to get us a winning/the right coach?
Because of what happened 5 years ago, perhaps?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: CCSU MBB Coaching Search

Post by CCSU4-3 »

If you want to read up on Donnelly:

"In his time at the helm of the program, the Moccasins have defeated nine nationally-ranked opponents and have ascended as high as No. 5 in the NABC Coaches Poll. In 2020, the team posted a record of 29-2, and was the No. 1 seed in the upcoming NCAA Championships tournament. Known for an up-tempo, high-scoring offensive system, Donnelly's Florida Southern squads have ranked among the top 50 nationally in scoring offense four times in his first five seasons. He helped develop Brett Hanson '20, who was named the National Player of the Year by both the NABC and D2ADA, and was a finalist for the Bevo Francis National Small College Player of the Year. Hanson scored 2,238 career points, the third highest total in school history."

https://fscmocs.prestosports.com/sports ... e?view=bio

Edit: He played at CCSU for 3 years in the 90s then transferred to SHU for his senior year. I had no idea. Before my time.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

Pat Sellers
Steve Curran
Phil Martelli Jr.
Matt Kingsley (Yale)
Antoni Wyche (Siena)
Tobin Anderson
Mitch Oliver
Gus Argenal (Cal St Fullerton)
Scott Burrell
Jim Ferry (Penn St.)
Mike Donnelly (Fla Southern)
Ted Hotaling (New Haven)
Will Brown (Albany)
Tom Moore (Uconn)
Chris Casey (Faitfield)
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I get the sense they are putting a premium on previous HC experience.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

In a perfect world, what’s our ideal candidate look like?
Young
Experience at the D1 level or HC at D2
Familiar with the NEC
Has some connection to CCSU
Reputation as a great recruiter
Innovative
Dynamic
An A+ person
Has a detailed plan for doing more with less
And I’ll say it again, has embraced the modern game!

This would be my ideal candidate.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

UNHFan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:56 am Central Connecticut: Early names making the rounds here – Jim Ferry (interim head coach Penn State), Mike Donnelly (head coach Florida Southern / former head coach Southern Connecticut), Steve Curran (associate head coach St. Bonaventure), Ted Hotaling (head coach New Haven), Will Brown (former head coach Albany), Tom Moore (assistant coach UConn / former head coach Quinnipiac), Patrick Sellers (assistant coach Fairfield / Central Connecticut alum), Scott Burrell (head coach Southern Connecticut), and Chris Casey (assistant coach Fairfield / former CCSU assistant).
I like everyone named, except Tom Moore. I just don't think I could stomach us hiring a former Quinnipiac head coach. Ugh ....
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

CCSU4-3 wrote:
hilltopper wrote:Can someone tell me why I have no confidence in the ability of a "committee" to get us a winning/the right coach?
Because of what happened 5 years ago, perhaps?
Bingo =D>
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

UNHFan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:56 am Central Connecticut: Early names making the rounds here – Jim Ferry (interim head coach Penn State), Mike Donnelly (head coach Florida Southern / former head coach Southern Connecticut), Steve Curran (associate head coach St. Bonaventure), Ted Hotaling (head coach New Haven), Will Brown (former head coach Albany), Tom Moore (assistant coach UConn / former head coach Quinnipiac), Patrick Sellers (assistant coach Fairfield / Central Connecticut alum), Scott Burrell (head coach Southern Connecticut), and Chris Casey (assistant coach Fairfield / former CCSU assistant).
I've heard that because of the salary expectation and small budget, this list will change quite a bit.

I'd expect guys like Ferry, Brown, Moore, and possibly Donnelly to pull themselves out of the running. Call that an educated guess based on what I've heard behind the scenes.

Many are interested. But once we get down to brass tax, the lack of resources will absolutely affect who we can get here. With that said, there will still be plenty of good candidates, and we will still likely end up with a good hire.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

Ya got $20 burning a hole in your pocket, who you betting on?
Pat Sellers 3-1
Steve Curran 5-1
Chris Casey 10-1
Jim Ferry 12-1
Tobin Anderson 12-1
Will Brown 14-1
Mike Donnelly 16-1
Ted Hotaling 18-1
Matt Kingsley 20–1
Tom Moore 30-1
Scott Burrell 75-1
Other 8-1