Time to Start Naming Names...

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by ccsuhoops »

J.J. wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:12 pm
UNHFan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:56 am Central Connecticut: Early names making the rounds here – Jim Ferry (interim head coach Penn State), Mike Donnelly (head coach Florida Southern / former head coach Southern Connecticut), Steve Curran (associate head coach St. Bonaventure), Ted Hotaling (head coach New Haven), Will Brown (former head coach Albany), Tom Moore (assistant coach UConn / former head coach Quinnipiac), Patrick Sellers (assistant coach Fairfield / Central Connecticut alum), Scott Burrell (head coach Southern Connecticut), and Chris Casey (assistant coach Fairfield / former CCSU assistant).
I like everyone named, except Tom Moore. I just don't think I could stomach us hiring a former Quinnipiac head coach. Ugh ....
Plus he didn’t actually get anything accomplished at QU and that’s with a fist full of dollars. What’s he gonna do with a purse full of lint at ccsu?
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

I thought I saw somewhere that Moore gets $250K/year. Would we be able to offer more even if we wanted him?
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

"Plus he didn’t actually get anything accomplished at QU and that’s with a fist full of dollars." ccsuhoops

Quite true. All he was able to achieve with all of those resources was to tie Joe DeSantis' record of one NEC title game appearance.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Shoreline wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:55 am "Plus he didn’t actually get anything accomplished at QU and that’s with a fist full of dollars." ccsuhoops

Quite true. All he was able to achieve with all of those resources was to tie Joe DeSantis' record of one NEC title game appearance.
I was at that game, totally routing against them 😝.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

UNHFan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:56 am Central Connecticut: Early names making the rounds here – Jim Ferry (interim head coach Penn State), Mike Donnelly (head coach Florida Southern / former head coach Southern Connecticut), Steve Curran (associate head coach St. Bonaventure), Ted Hotaling (head coach New Haven), Will Brown (former head coach Albany), Tom Moore (assistant coach UConn / former head coach Quinnipiac), Patrick Sellers (assistant coach Fairfield / Central Connecticut alum), Scott Burrell (head coach Southern Connecticut), and Chris Casey (assistant coach Fairfield / former CCSU assistant).
GOOD NEWS- Tobin Anderson added to the list.

From what I understand, he was involved last week but simply accidentally omitted.

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-3-15-21/
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Indiana St. (MVC) just hired a D2 coach, Josh Schertz out of Lincoln Memorial. He was super successful at the D2 level.

Tobin Anderson and Mike Donnelly should absolutely be in play at Central, as should Jack Perri. I also love Steve Curran, and Patrick Sellers is growing on me by the day.

If they'd add in high level assistants like Matt Kingsley (Yale) and Phil Martelli, Jr. (Bryant), that'd be a killer 6-man list IMO.

If Ferry and Brown remain interested once salary expectations and operating budgets are discussed, I like the idea of them too. That's a REALLY GOOD 8/9 names.

I'd be disappointed if the next coach was not included in the names I just mentioned. Scott Burrell? I'd picket.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

Is there a source with a list of who's actually applying? In other words, is Sellers not even interested in the job for all we know?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

jcframingham wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:06 am Is there a source with a list of who's actually applying? In other words, is Sellers not even interested in the job for all we know?
I guess it's within the realm of possibility that he's not interested, as I have not had a source confirm it. However, he's been mentioned by numerous insiders so I have to think there's serious mutual interest there.

Hoop Dirt has plenty of sources (many agents, I'm sure), so their stuff has been pretty good. They had Schrewsbury involved with Penn State early, and had Dwayne Killings from Marquette on the list for Albany from Day 1 (it looks like he's the front-runner at the moment).

The lists you are seeing may not be all encompassing however. Guys may get involved late. You never know.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:35 pm
hilltopper wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:20 pm Can someone tell me why I have no confidence in the ability of a "committee" to get us a winning/the right coach?
Because of what happened 5 years ago, perhaps?
New AD , New upper Management staff. There is no reason to get it wrong a 2nd time in a row and I am absolutely confidant that TP will not let a hire get pushed down.
Ive always felt that Former NBA talent never really works out in NCAA coaching. AMIRITE?
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

UNHFan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:02 pm I hope you don't mind an outsider joining your board. I've always hoped that CCSU would join the America East and have been a fan of a poster on the AE board named Ace who is a fan of your fine school. From looking at the list Hoopdirt posted I think CCSU is going to get a great coach and be right back in the hunt for the NEC title. I would love to see Ferry or Will Brown be hired for you guys.
NOT AT ALL!!! I was happy that UH made it.. lets hear it for BRL Schools!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Larryl9797 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:57 am New AD , New upper Management staff. There is no reason to get it wrong a 2nd time in a row and I am absolutely confidant that TP will not let a hire get pushed down.
Ive always felt that Former NBA talent never really works out in NCAA coaching. AMIRITE?
There's plenty of examples that show this is absolutely the case. Generally speaking, NBA players make terrible college head coaches. There are some exceptions for sure, but largely they fail.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I've been thinking a lot about the names we've heard (and names I pulled out of thin air), and I felt compelled to compile a list of "tiers".

Tier I- Steve Curran, Tobin Anderson. I think both would be home run hires, and would have us competing for titles within 3-5 years.
Tier II- Pat Sellers, Mike Donnelly. Both guys have been incredibly successful and would likely build something special here, perhaps long-term?
Tier III- Will Brown, Jim Ferry, Jack Perri (I haven't seen him tied to this job FWIW), Matt Kingsley, Phil Martelli Jr., Antoni Wyche- Mixed back of guys with D1 HC experience and highly respected assistants with ties to the area.

This assumes high-level assistants who were involved with Albany such as Kyle Neptune (Villanova) and Desmond Oliver (Tennessee) would not be interested in Central. If they are, put them in Tier I.

I'd be happy with anyone on this list, and would be doing back-flips if Curran or Anderson are the guys.

I have been critical of Sellers previously, but I did my research and am now fully on board with him as a guy would come here and build something special. You should all go listen to this interview Sellers did on the Greg Herenda show: https://static.fduknights.com/custompag ... %20(1).mp3

Anyone else? I'd have to be convinced.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:01 am I've been thinking a lot about the names we've heard (and names I pulled out of thin air), and I felt compelled to compile a list of "tiers".

Tier I- Steve Curran, Tobin Anderson. I think both would be home run hires, and would have us competing for titles within 3-5 years.
Tier II- Pat Sellers, Mike Donnelly. Both guys have been incredibly successful and would likely build something special here, perhaps long-term?
Tier III- Will Brown, Jim Ferry, Jack Perri (I haven't seen him tied to this job FWIW), Matt Kingsley, Phil Martelli Jr., Antoni Wyche- Mixed back of guys with D1 HC experience and highly respected assistants with ties to the area.

This assumes high-level assistants who were involved with Albany such as Kyle Neptune (Villanova) and Desmond Oliver (Tennessee) would not be interested in Central. If they are, put them in Tier I.

I'd be happy with anyone on this list, and would be doing back-flips if Curran or Anderson are the guys.

I have been critical of Sellers previously, but I did my research and am now fully on board with him as a guy would come here and build something special. You should all go listen to this interview Sellers did on the Greg Herenda show: https://static.fduknights.com/custompag ... %20(1).mp3

Anyone else? I'd have to be convinced.
Just wondering why Pat is a Tier II? is it their past record? or something else?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Larryl9797 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:33 am Just wondering why Pat is a Tier II? is it their past record? or something else?
It has nothing to do with Pat, I just think Curran and Anderson have superior (albeit completely different) track records.

It may mean nothing, but last July Stadium did rankings of the top assistants in each league as voted on by their peers. Curran was #1 voted as the best assistant in the A-10. https://watchstadium.com/top-mens-baske ... 7-07-2020/

He's been at St. Bonaventure since 2010, and in that time they've made 3 NCAA Tournaments and have a 121-82 record in the A-10. AT ST. BONAVENTURE, where they have limited resources compared to the rest of the league, and where there's nothing to do in the area (Olean). In the 6 seasons prior to Curran getting there, the Bonnies were 18-78 in the A-10. He's gotten a lot of credit for developing all-league players, and recruiting. PLUS, I love the analytics on St. Bona- Schmidt is defense oriented, slow-tempo, and get good shots offensively. When you factor in that Curran spent time here and in the northeast, I just think he's the perfect fit.

Anderson? He was 142-50 at STAC coming into this season and has his team as a #1 seed in the D2 NCAA Tournament. In the 6 years prior to him arriving at STAC, the program was 46-113. Quite the turnaround...plus he did really well at D3 schools Hamilton and Clarkson before, and also was an assistant at Siena. Unique style (uptempo, full-court press), well regarded in the area...might have gotten the Iona job if Rick Pitino hadn't shown up.

Sellers wasn't one of the top assistants listed in the MAAC...which doesn't mean he's not REALLY GOOD...and I still think he's a great fit here, and would likely do a wonderful job. And who knows, maybe Sellers knocks your socks off in an interview while the other guys are just ok, and I think that matters. But without meeting them, Sellers would be my Plan C...and I think that's a REALLY GOOD Plan C.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:50 am
Larryl9797 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:33 am Just wondering why Pat is a Tier II? is it their past record? or something else?
It has nothing to do with Pat, I just think Curran and Anderson have superior (albeit completely different) track records.

It may mean nothing, but last July Stadium did rankings of the top assistants in each league as voted on by their peers. Curran was #1 voted as the best assistant in the A-10. https://watchstadium.com/top-mens-baske ... 7-07-2020/

He's been at St. Bonaventure since 2010, and in that time they've made 3 NCAA Tournaments and have a 121-82 record in the A-10. AT ST. BONAVENTURE, where they have limited resources compared to the rest of the league, and where there's nothing to do in the area (Olean). In the 6 seasons prior to Curran getting there, the Bonnies were 18-78 in the A-10. He's gotten a lot of credit for developing all-league players, and recruiting. PLUS, I love the analytics on St. Bona- Schmidt is defense oriented, slow-tempo, and get good shots offensively. When you factor in that Curran spent time here and in the northeast, I just think he's the perfect fit.
Great info! I think Curran would be a great hire... I wonder how long till we get a list of candidates?