Time to Start Naming Names...

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by ccsuhoops »

Looks like Dave Leitao is available now...
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Looks like Dave Leitao is available now...
Let's see Leitao or Sellers, hmmm? If it comes down to that its a no contest. Its Sellers... or one of the other (non former D1 HC) candidates.
I don't want an experienced D1 HC who has gotten fired for being unsuccessful. I would choose to go with potential rather than to settle for a known quantity.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Since I don't know any of these guys, it is really hard to do anything but look at resumes and compare what they did and what needs to be done here. Again, there isn't a name I heard seriously linked to the job that I would be disappointed in - except Tom Moore.

Five years ago, I would have supported the AD's pick (Young), the "fan favorite' (Sellers), or the young up-and-comer (Holloway). I had Grasso in a 'lower tier" specifically because of his QU pedigree and the both UConn guys (Marshall and LaFluer) lower down based on lack of experience.

Right now I would go with Curran and Sellers as my top-2, no questions asked. Not only do they have a great resumes and reputations, they know what they are getting into at CCSU because they've been here before. Let's not sugar coat this - this job at CCSU is tough. It is attractive and has potential - but we know it has challenges. These two guys know the reality because they've been on the bench at Detrick and on the CCSU payroll.

As much as I want some fresh blood and outside perspective - that didn't work out for our last two AD hires. Paul rightfully left after the Marshall debacle, and Brian lasted no time and left for UMBC. Something tells me that the university hired two very good ADs with strong resumes, but they couldn't make it work at Central. (On a side note, this is why we need to lock Tom P. in that role YESTERDAY).

I'm not sure I like the idea of a "retread HC" like Ferry, Perri, or Brown that likely won't have the support/resources they had elswhere. It seems like a recipe for a short and unproductive tenure.

I am skittish about giving the job to a first time HC like Matt Kingsley, Phil Martelli Jr., Antoni Wyche - but I recognize that is untapped potential. High risk -high reward.

The D-II coaches (Tobin Anderson, Mike Donnelly, and Scott Burrell) probably have the right mix of experiences, just have to see how they might mesh with the interview panel and Administration.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: CCSU MBB Coaching Search

Post by ktuck911 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:00 pm https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-3-12-21/

Many names we've seen mentioned. One (Donnelly) we haven't, but he makes a lot of sense. Burrell won with Donnelly's roster in his first 2 seasons as HC at SCSU.

No mention of some guys I really like, such as Tobin Anderson, Matt Kingsley, Phil Martelli Jr., or Jack Perri.
I like the Tom Moore mention too even though things didn't work out in the end at Quinnipiac for him... He can recruit.... He did GREAT while Quinnipiac was in the NEC, so, maybe, just maybe, he's a guy that simply fits perfectly at this level of D1 basketball???? Proof is in the pudding here gents...

But still, my money'son Sellers as top guy... just makes too much sense...

Moore would e an extremely strong strong strong option for CCSU though....
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Re: CCSU MBB Coaching Search

Post by jcframingham »

I think salary would be a concern for Moore and Brown.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

My morning line (3/17/21):
Pat Sellers 2-1
Steve Curran 7-2
Chris Casey 5-1
Tobin Anderson 9-1
Mike Donnelly 11-1
Jim Ferry 12-1
Will Brown 14-1
Matt Kingsley 16-1
Mitch Oliver 18-1
Ted Hotaling 19-1
Antoni Wyche 20-1
Mitch Oliver 20-1
Phil Martelli Jr 20-1
Gus Argenal 25-1
TomMoore 25-1
Scott Burrell 50-1
All others 8-1
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:42 pm Since I don't know any of these guys, it is really hard to do anything but look at resumes and compare what they did and what needs to be done here. Again, there isn't a name I heard seriously linked to the job that I would be disappointed in - except Tom Moore.

Five years ago, I would have supported the AD's pick (Young), the "fan favorite' (Sellers), or the young up-and-comer (Holloway). I had Grasso in a 'lower tier" specifically because of his QU pedigree and the both UConn guys (Marshall and LaFluer) lower down based on lack of experience.

Right now I would go with Curran and Sellers as my top-2, no questions asked. Not only do they have a great resumes and reputations, they know what they are getting into at CCSU because they've been here before. Let's not sugar coat this - this job at CCSU is tough. It is attractive and has potential - but we know it has challenges. These two guys know the reality because they've been on the bench at Detrick and on the CCSU payroll.

As much as I want some fresh blood and outside perspective - that didn't work out for our last two AD hires. Paul rightfully left after the Marshall debacle, and Brian lasted no time and left for UMBC. Something tells me that the university hired two very good ADs with strong resumes, but they couldn't make it work at Central. (On a side note, this is why we need to lock Tom P. in that role YESTERDAY).

I'm not sure I like the idea of a "retread HC" like Ferry, Perri, or Brown that likely won't have the support/resources they had elswhere. It seems like a recipe for a short and unproductive tenure.

I am skittish about giving the job to a first time HC like Matt Kingsley, Phil Martelli Jr., Antoni Wyche - but I recognize that is untapped potential. High risk -high reward.

The D-II coaches (Tobin Anderson, Mike Donnelly, and Scott Burrell) probably have the right mix of experiences, just have to see how they might mesh with the interview panel and Administration.
I agree with pretty much everything here.

The more I've spoken to people "in the know", the more I've become convinced that Sellers is really an ideal fit, though I still contend that Curran would be the better option (though it's probably nit-picking). One thing I've been saying since the beginning; the next coach HAS to be able to recruit the New England preps to succeed here given the small budget. Curran has made a career of recruiting New England (at multiple schools including St. Bonaventure), and Fairfield had 6 players who played at a NE prep on their roster last season. I can't speak to how many of those kids were specifically recruited by Sellers, but I'd bet at least a few. In contrast, Central had just 2 NE prep kids last year (Krishnan and Xavier Wilson), as Marshall tended to focus on Philly.

I also feel like bringing in a guy like Ferry, Perri, Brown, or even Dave Paulsen (fired by George Mason yesterday, previously brought Bucknell to the NCAAT, and coached at places like Williams and Le Moyne) isn't ideal. Those guys would probably do "well", but I feel like there's not a lot of upside.

I do feel like Tobin Anderson and possibly Mike Donnelly would be "Boom or Bust" candidates that could either be total home runs, or go absolutely nowhere. I'd rather take a shot with Anderson then, say, Ferry.

Anyway- based on conversations I've had, I believe Sellers is the leader in the clubhouse with Curran right there while everyone else is well below those two. Call it a bit more than a gut feeling, but it's certainly not something I've confirmed in any way.

Another nugget; from what I understand, Baba Diallo will be back as an assistant as he still has 1 more year remaining on his contract (Witcoskie and Ross have their contracts expire at the end of the month). Diallo is young and bright, and his familiarity with the school should help the next HC. One guy to watch going forward is Tyson Batiste; he's a Grad Assistant at Arkansas and he could potentially be a nice add for a coach looking for someone with ties to New England preps.
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

" the more I've become convinced that Sellers is really an ideal fit," CCSU 4-3

Absolutely. There are many decisions in life that are very difficult. This, however, is not one of them.

With a nod to the upcoming Formula 1 season in two weeks, here is how I see the post race podium in our Coaching Grand Prix:
1. Patrick Sellers
2. Steve Curran
3. Mitch Oliver
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

The situation IMO has changed since Curran, Sellers and Casey left. Has it changed enough that it would be an entirely different place to them? Probably not. But it sure is different to the point that CCSU experience can only go so far in picking the right guy.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Shoreline wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:52 am " the more I've become convinced that Sellers is really an ideal fit," CCSU 4-3

Absolutely. There are many decisions in life that are very difficult. This, however, is not one of them.

With a nod to the upcoming Formula 1 season in two weeks, here is how I see the post race podium in our Coaching Grand Prix:
1. Patrick Sellers
2. Steve Curran
3. Mitch Oliver
I have not seen Mitch Oliver mentioned anywhere except on these boards. He MIGHT be involved, but I haven't seen any evidence of it.

I also don't think it's easy.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

Indiana State just hired Josh Schertz, a successful D2 coach. Just something to think about.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Sellers has a lot going for him as far as "fit" goes.

1. His career suffered a severe setback by being associated with a scandal for which he was eventually cleared. Without this scandal there is no doubt in my mind that Sellers would have been offered a D1 HC coaching job years ago.
I see this as an opportunity for Central to get a guy who would not normally be available to them.

2. He is a Central alum. Of course this is only a factor in an "all else being equal" situation. But lets not forget that Central has somewhat of reputation as a medium sized school, for producing coaches....in a variety of sports.

3.If you look at Sellers' resume, it is impressive. He has been an assistant at majors like UConn and Creighton, as well as UMass and an assortment of mid majors, a couple of years as a pro player in Europe, and a couple of years with success as a HS school head coach. There is a reason that this guy can have such a nice career as an assistant coach, because he does a good job. And there is a reason that he has never become an HC, see #1

I think that he is a good fit because he is a bargain, that would not normally be available to Central. Also he has earned a shot at being a D1 HC. Why not us?
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Indiana State just hired Josh Schertz, a successful D2 coach. Just something to think about.
My first choice is Sellers, but other than that I would be receptive to a highly successful D2 or 3 coach who had some experience as a D1 assistant.
I would be very cautious about hiring a former D1 HC. If that coach were successful as a D1 coach, why would he take a low major job?
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

CCSU MBB Coaching Search

Post by Larryl9797 »

I have merged the 2 Coaching threads. Lets keep talking!
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:48 am
I would be very cautious about hiring a former D1 HC. If that coach were successful as a D1 coach, why would he take a low major job?
I think 'cautious' is a fair word, as I feel the same way. Though I will say; every story is different.

Some guys have been ultra successful at the mid-major level but were less successful when they moved up a level. Take Jim Ferry- had back-to-back champs at LIU (both years they were 16-2 in the league), did terribly at Duquesne, then helped keep things together this year at Penn State as the interim HC. Duquesne is a tough job, but he's proven he could win in the NEC.

Dave Paulsen took Bucknell to 2 NCAA Tournaments, and in his final 5 seasons didn't finish worse than 11-7 in the Patriot League. bounced to George Mason and was just "OK", but don't forget they jumped levels from the CAA to the A-10 two years prior (and Paul Hewitt was worse with Mason in the A10).

Jack Perri brought LIU to the tourney in his first season at LIU after Ferry left (Ferry's roster, to be fair), and finished 13-5 in his 5th year before being let go by a new AD who wanted to put his stamp on the program. Kellogg came in and made the NCAA Tournament with Perri's roster and has been .500 in all three seasons since.

Will Brown had it ROLLING at Albany, taking them to three straight NCAA Tournaments 2013-15 (5 overall). The last 3 years haven't been great, but he built that program from nothing (independent, transitioning from D2) into an annual title contender.

There are plenty of failed D1 coaches that I'd say "no thanks" to. To use a baseball analogy, are you looking for a single or a home run? These guys probably aren't home runs, but they are guys who would likely come in and get the program to respectability.

None are my preferred candidates (again, my guys are; Curran, Sellers, and Tobin Anderson), but I absolutely think they deserve interviews, and I'd be very supportive if Tom and Company decided that one of them was the best man for the job.