Time to Start Naming Names...

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by J.J. »

Yeah, I concur with everyone on the "caution" on former D-I HCs, but I wouldn't totally exclude them from consideration.

Guys like Ferry, Perri, Paulson, and Brown are proven winners with NCAA trips under their belts. That experience and accomplishment shouldn't be ignored. I think Will Brown is a very interesting option for Central, if he's even interested to come here.

I guess I just have a hard time comparing their previous situations at LIU, Bucknell, Albany, Duquesne, George Mason, etc. to what they likely face at CCSU and how they translate that into championships here.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Re: Will Brown

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/sta ... 96355?s=20

Perhaps he's not much of a Player's Coach?
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:28 am Re: Will Brown

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/sta ... 96355?s=20

Perhaps he's not much of a Player's Coach?
Being their friend clearly doesn’t work....104 losses
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Yeah, and I don't trust an twitter post from a nobody.

Brown built a great program and was very respected in the community.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:40 pm Yeah, and I don't trust an twitter post from a nobody.

Brown built a great program and was very respected in the community.
19,400 followers and plenty of scoops already during this year's version of the coaching carousel. Definitely not a nobody.

But I also don't think it means anything noteworthy. But I figure all data points are worth sharing.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CCSU MBB Coaching Search

Post by J.J. »

Skyhawkct wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:27 pm
J.J. wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:00 am For the CCSU "old timers," just wondering if anyone remembers who were some of the candidates from our two previous head coaching searches in 1988 and 1991.

1988 - When Bill Detrick retired/stepped down during the 1987-88 season, C.J. Jones took over as the "interim" head coach. I think that C.J. wanted the job, but didn't get it. The AD at the time (Judith Davidson) selected Mike Brown, an assistant coach to P.J. Carlesimo at Seton Hall.

1991 - After the disastrous 3-year Mike Brown era, CCSU was again in the market for a new head coach. This time Davidson hired Mark Adams, an assistant to Kelvin Sampson at Washington State.

1996 - Athletic Director C.J. Jones offers the position to his college roommate and best friend, CCSU All-American Howie Dickenman, who was working as Jim Calhoun's top assistant at UConn. There were no other candidates.

2016 - Athletics Director Paul Schlickmann selects Jay Young, an assistant to Steve Pikell at Stony Brook. Paul's boss, Chief Administrative Officer Richard Bachoo, does not concur and puts forward Donyell Marshall, an assistant to Nate Oats at Buffalo, to be the head coach. Other candidates included: Steve Curran, Jared Grasso, Shaheen Holloway, Andre LaFleur, and Patrick Sellers.
Yup...I was there JJ. In fact, I was on a panel with Dr. Davidson to determine if we should stay D-1 or drop back down.

I think CJ was overlooked because they saw the bright shiny object of an assistant coach from a big time program coming over to the new kid on the block. I talked to Coach Brown several times and as nice a guy as he was, he didn’t have the “fire in his eyes” to build the program.

Don’t get me started on Adams. Ok...too late. He was and still is a smooth talker. I lost faith in him when attending a fund raiser golf tournament (and I don’t play golf), he literally said a disparaging remark about my knowledge of the game during his speech at the reception dinner after. After that it was a big F.U. To him. And when he deliberately let that bad game against UC become an embarrassing blow out...

Howie...well we all know his record. What I don’t understand is what happened towards the end. From three NCAA appearances to sub 500 seasons. 🤔

As far as Bachoo goes...he has his own issues too. I worked with him professionally on the campus master plan that had to be approved by my office at the CTDOT. He was pissed when he had to come to my office and explain why the plan totally sucked and could not be approved until it didn’t.

Let’s hope to God that all this BS can be put away and a coach is selected that really wants to do the job.
For a "what could have been" moment, I was doing some digging and here were the 6 finalists during the 1991 CCSU head coaching search:

1. Mark Adams, Washington State assistant
2. Dave Rybczyk, CCSU assistant
3. Dave Bike, SHU coach and AD
4. Tom Abatemarco, Colorado assistant
5. Marty Gillespie, Bradley assistant
6. Dennis Walsh, Northeastern assistant
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

And according to media reports in 1988, the finalist were:

1. Mike Brown, Seton Hall assistant
2. Tom Barrise, Fairfield assistant
3. C.J. Jones, CCSU interim coach

Sacred Heart coach/AD Dave Bike and UMass-Lowell coach Don Doucette also applied.

The search committee asked Howie Dickenman to apply - he declined.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:09 pm And according to media reports in 1998, the finalist were:

Sacred Heart coach/AD Dave Bike and UMass-Lowell coach Don Doucette also applied.

I'm confused. Is 1998 a typo?

Edit: You meant 1988. Got it.

Crazy that he didn't apply at the time. I wonder what the story was there.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 pm
J.J. wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:09 pm And according to media reports in 1998, the finalist were:

I'm confused. Is 1998 a typo?

Edit: You meant 1988. Got it.

Crazy that he didn't apply at the time. I wonder what the story was there.
Yes, 1988 when they hired Mike Brown.

Re: Dickenman. UConn was just getting good under Calhoun and they had a lot of potential in front of them. I would also guess he would have liked to see his friend and teammate CJ get the job back then. I guess it just wasn't the right time professionally. He was the right guy in 1996!
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

So Baba is the only one left of DM staff? Would that mean the other two probably landed gigs?
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

jcframingham wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:32 am So Baba is the only one left of DM staff? Would that mean the other two probably landed gigs?
Unfortunately, no. Their contacts were not renewed and they were let go. Baba's contact was still active, and I'm sure that Central thought he might be a good "transition" person.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

BigBlue92 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:37 am
jcframingham wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:32 am So Baba is the only one left of DM staff? Would that mean the other two probably landed gigs?
Unfortunately, no. Their contacts were not renewed and they were let go. Baba's contact was still active, and I'm sure that Central thought he might be a good "transition" person.
FWIW, at least one former player has told me that Baba is a really good young coach who tried to change things there.

It's probably somewhat rare that assistants from a previous regime are forced onto a new head coach, but it is what it is. Hopefully the new coach will take it as an opportunity, and perhaps will help retain some of the talent that hasn't entered the Transfer Portal (Outlaw, Krishnan, Wallace, Baker, Newkirk).
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Agreed. Surprised that his contract wasn't annual like most assistants. But if, as you say, he's well respected by coaches and liked by the players, he may be a good bridge for the new staff.

Also, if a certain person gets the CCSU job, Baba worked with Dave Leiteo. 😁

Howie was the only assistant from the Don Perno staff that Calhoun kept when he took over at UConn in 1986.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

CCSU4-3 wrote:It's probably somewhat rare that assistants from a previous regime are forced onto a new head coach, but it is what it is.
True, but it does happen. Obie Nwadike was Howie's assistant and transitioned into DM's first year. I don't know if he was "forced" on DM.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Here's a guy that's a bit of a retread, but he's been doing this thing for 30 years. He's coached at all D1 levels and was on Archie Miller's Indiana staff this past season (Miller got canned this year)... (gulp, dare I say it, BUT he kinda makes sense): Bruiser Flint