Time to Start Naming Names...

Lets talk some Hoops!
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: CCSU MBB Coaching Search

Post by BigBlue92 »

[/quote]

My theory is that with everyone having another year of eligibility and all transfers being immediately eligible, people are looking at this as an opportunity to rebuild extremely quickly.

[/quote]

As of yesterday, over 315 in the transfer portal. Insane!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:19 am
jcframingham wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:13 am I'm willing to bet Sellers is the consensus CCSU fans' choice. How much, if any, would that influence the decision?
I’d be willing to bet literally not at all 😂
If it were, that'd be incredibly short-sighted.

If the next coach wins, we will all be happy.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

No CCSU update, but some interesting infor here:

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-d1-sear ... s-3-11-21/

I continue to think that there will be some level of similarities between the Albany and Central searches (Albany is a better job for sure, but comparable in many ways). Three high level assistants, with my guy Tobin Anderson in the "next group".
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:01 am No CCSU update, but some interesting infor here:

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-d1-sear ... s-3-11-21/

I continue to think that there will be some level of similarities between the Albany and Central searches (Albany is a better job for sure, but comparable in many ways). Three high level assistants, with my guy Tobin Anderson in the "next group".
I think it will be interesting to compare Fordham, Albany, and CCSU this time around.

Fordham is just such a tough gig, I don't think it will get a lot of "established" candidates. Speaks volumes that "new" head coaches like Grasso and Holloway are at the top of the list right now, and just 5 years ago they were looking for their first HC position at CCSU. Fordham has ancient history (kinda like LIU), but that's still an A-10 program in NYC. It will be very interesting to see how that staff fills out.

Albany is a higher paying job than CCSU and AE qualifiers typically earns higher seeds in the tourney than the NEC programs, but these are much more comparable job opportunities. Both schools were also searching for a head football coach at the same time. CCSU picked Rossomando, a former UAlbany assistant under legendry coach Bob Ford; which of course led to McCarthy, who also spent time at UAlbany. The Danes went with a Big Ten assistant, Greg Gattuso, an assistant under Randy Edsall at Maryland. Salary will be a factor to some degree, and I think former Albany coach WIll Brown is an interesting candidate for Central to some degree. Not sure how much overlap in candidates, but it seems reasonable to think it will be pulling from the same pool.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

If Sellers isn't given the red carpet home CCSU Men's Basketball will wait another generation before they see another hay day moment that Howie and company had with you guys... God willing, that won't happen.. You guys deserve much better. There can't be a more perfect fit.
I love D Marshall, but, dude was bringing in 5 new recruits (and lose 5 to transfer) every year... The majority of the players would leave in 2 years... You can't built anything at this level of D1 basketball doing that year in and year out...
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by BigBlue92 »

Ok, these are some of the names on "The List" from what I've been able to piece together:
Pat Sellers
Steve Curran
Phil Martelli Jr.
Matt Kingsley (Yale)
Antoni Wyche (Siena)
Tobin Anderson
Mitch Oliver
Gus Argenal (Cal St Fullerton)
Scott Burrell

Again, from what I've heard, agents are calling from all over the country--including quite a few from the West Coast.

If you know of other names, please add them! This is an exciting time!
Last edited by BigBlue92 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

ktuck911 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:48 pm If Sellers isn't given the red carpet home CCSU Men's Basketball will wait another generation before they see another hay day moment that Howie and company had with you guys... God willing, that won't happen.. You guys deserve much better. There can't be a more perfect fit.
I love D Marshall, but, dude was bringing in 5 new recruits (and lose 5 to transfer) every year... The majority of the players would leave in 2 years... You can't built anything at this level of D1 basketball doing that year in and year out...
I love Pat but I'm not sold on him at all. Not sure what about Pat convinces you that he's the best candidate. Being a former Blue Devil doesn't mean squat. As I've said 100 times, my first 2 questions would be:

1. The program has been down. There's been cuts to the budget. You'll need to utilize every advantage and do more with less. Therefore, how would you use analytics as a recruiting tool, and evaluation barometer, and a player motivator?

2. Our offensive efficiency numbers have been at the bottom of the league for years. SPECIFICALLY, what would be your plan to improve offensive efficiency at CCSU?

If Pat, or any other candidate, couldn't knock those questions out of the park with answers that show he has embraced the modern game, he will not succeed here.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

BigBlue92 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:34 pm
ktuck911 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:48 pm If Sellers isn't given the red carpet home CCSU Men's Basketball will wait another generation before they see another hay day moment that Howie and company had with you guys... God willing, that won't happen.. You guys deserve much better. There can't be a more perfect fit.
I love Pat but I'm not sold on him at all. Not sure what about Pat convinces you that he's the best candidate. Being a former Blue Devil doesn't mean squat. As I've said 100 times, my first 2 questions would be:

1. The program has been down. There's been cuts to the budget. You'll need to utilize every advantage and do more with less. Therefore, how would you use analytics as a recruiting tool, and evaluation barometer, and a player motivator?

2. Our offensive efficiency numbers have been at the bottom of the league for years. SPECIFICALLY, what would be your plan to improve offensive efficiency at CCSU?

If Pat, or any other candidate, couldn't knock those questions out of the park with answers that show he has embraced the modern game, he will not succeed here.
So you don't think he has the ability to address those questions after all he's seen, where he's been, who he's recruited and coached? If you look at his portfolio compared to D Marshall's, other than the fact that Marshall got the opportunity to coach the program for 5 unsuccessful years, Sellers is a better fit. I think he understands the type of players you need to win...

The bigger problem you'd have with him is how to keep him after 5 years (if that long)....
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

I was rooting hard for you guys to look into childhood/neighborhood friend Kelvin Jefferson (now Head Coach at D2 Gannon) because of all he's done and who he coached (at S. Kent, prep school up state, which has produced quite a bit of NBA talent), but I don't think he'd want to come back here for this job... Just not a good fit... Sellers is the better fit...
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

ktuck911 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:44 pm
BigBlue92 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:34 pm

So you don't think he has the ability to address those questions after all he's seen, where he's been, who he's recruited and coached? If you look at his portfolio compared to D Marshall's, other than the fact that Marshall got the opportunity to coach the program for 5 unsuccessful years, Sellers is a better fit. I think he understands the type of players you need to win...

The bigger problem you'd have with him is how to keep him after 5 years (if that long)....
That's correct--I'm not convinced at this point. As a matter of fact, Fairfield's offensive and defensive efficiency #s AND shot quality #s were almost identical to Central's, which would lead me to believe that their program doesn't rely on analytics. We just wrapped up 5 years with a coach who openly mocked analytics, while guys like Latina--who seems to overachieve every year--describes analytics as "huge...everything we do is based on analytics". If you think Pat would suddenly win here because he's a "Central guy" and can draw up good plays, you're mistaken. We need a guy who can do things DIFFERENTLY.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I think a head coach is more of a CEO for the program. He has to wear many hats, none bigger than hiring the coaching staff.
That is why the process and evaluation of the panel and AD is so important. The job is more than what we see on game day.

I'm not sure who is the guy, but whoever it is must be able to put together a staff that can addresses multiple deficiencies we have. Yes, the HC is the most important and is responsible for everything, but that why X and O is not the #1 criteria.

When C.J. hired Howie, he hired Steve Pikiell, Anthony Latina, and Pat Sellers. That staff brought 2 NEC titles and trips to the dance. That was as important as anything Howie did. He had some great assistants along the way as well, as these guys got bigger and better jobs.

I want to know that the new guy do this.

Again, it's too early to pick the "guy" yet, but this hire is bigger than one man. It is about rebuilding the program from scratch again, like Howie had to do in 1996.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Why is it too early to pick the next Head Coach for CCSU Men's Basketball? Not sure I understand that....
@BigBlue92 - I think if Pat Sellers can finally get to run his own show, he's learned quite a few tricks from quite a few HC's worked under... I think he cultivates a little higher caliber players that will take maybe a year or 2 to mesh (and stick around)...
You keep starting over... when's it gonna end?
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

ktuck911 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:02 pm Why is it too early to pick the next Head Coach for CCSU Men's Basketball? Not sure I understand that....
@BigBlue92 - I think if Pat Sellers can finally get to run his own show, he's learned quite a few tricks from quite a few HC's worked under... I think he cultivates a little higher caliber players that will take maybe a year or 2 to mesh (and stick around)...
You keep starting over... when's it gonna end?
When’s it gonna end? We’re hoping NOW! That’s why this is such an important hire. Is Pat the guy? Maybe, but I’m not convinced. The calls I’ve made (to 2 D1 coaches and 2 D3 coaches) gave me a similar report on Pat—positive but nothing that would distinguish him from other candidates...And that just ain’t gonna get it done here.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by hilltopper »

Well so much for the question: who in their right mind would want to coach at CCSU? :shock:
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Argenal is interesting and doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A few concerns/questions I'd have:

1. No ties to the east coast. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but he'd have to bring in a staff that can recruit here. MUST have relationships with New England preps.
2. Was 35-76 in 4 years as the HC at Cal St. East Bay (D2). Now to be fair, that team was transitioning to D2 at the time, and his 13 wins in 2016-17 was the program record for wins in a season at that level dating back to 2009.
3. The Shot Quality offensive numbers for Fullerton are "ok" (literally 50th percentile), but the defensive numbers are awful; 7th percentile in 2021. They had a young roster with not much rim protection, as they allowed 64% FG% at the rim. But I'd want to know what his defensive philosophy and explain how/why that happened at Fullerton.
4. Fullerton was 11-17 the last two seasons in the Big West. He experienced a ton of success while an assistant at Nevada under Eric Mussleman.

Unless there's something I'm missing (there probably is), Argenal feels like a square peg in a round hole.