Ted Hotaling Univ. New Haven II Head Coach Not Released
Matt Kingsley Yale I Associate HC Not Released
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Big Board!

Post by Larryl9797 »

Please take a second and look thru this list... If there are any candidates that I missed. LMK. Also this list is compiled by a bunch of armchair coaches and is in no way influenced by any CCSU personnel or professional groups.
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Larryl9797 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:52 am Please take a second and look thru this list... If there are any candidates that I missed. LMK. Also this list is compiled by a bunch of armchair coaches and is in no way influenced by any CCSU personnel or professional groups.
You've got all the names that have been sourced by HoopDirt.

I'd probably include Jack Perri on that list, but he's no more of a candidate than guys like Ted Hotaling or Mitch Oliver based on what we know.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

CCSU HC Posting...

Required Qualifications:

Bachelor’s degree
Previous successful coaching experience at the collegiate level in the sport of basketball
Proven administrative and organizational skills, e.g., player development, recruiting, budget management, supervision and fundraising
Proven track record of NCAA compliance and academic integrity
Exhibit clear and effective communication skills including the ability to establish a good rapport and effective working relationships with student-athletes, parents, administrators, faculty, staff and the community
A demonstrated commitment to serving culturally, ethnically and linguistically diverse communities
Preferred Qualifications:

Previous coaching experience at the Division 1 level in the sport of basketball
Demonstrated ability to organize and implement a collegiate basketball program
Demonstrated ability to develop student-athletes holistically, i.e., academically, athletically and socially
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

For what it’s worth, Argenal is at Cal St Fullerton
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

FWIW, I think it's a BIG mistake to go after a DII coach...
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

In general I agree. However, there are situations where the D2 (or D3) HC has experience as an assistant coach at the D1 level. So they should be well acquainted with the D1 recruiting process which is very different. There are at least two lower division HC's on the Big Board that do have D1 experience and I think that they have the potential to make the jump. You have to respect a coach that comes into a D2 or D3 program, turns it around and builds a year after year winner.
CTHoopsFan15
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by CTHoopsFan15 »

hilltopper wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:11 pm
In general I agree. However, there are situations where the D2 (or D3) HC has experience as an assistant coach at the D1 level. So they should be well acquainted with the D1 recruiting process which is very different. There are at least two lower division HC's on the Big Board that do have D1 experience and I think that they have the potential to make the jump. You have to respect a coach that comes into a D2 or D3 program, turns it around and builds a year after year winner.
Mitch Oliver - D3 Albertus Magnus - His resume of building, sustaining and developing a winning program along with his D1 assistant coaching experience and recruiting skills would make for a home run hire! Just making a case for my choice!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ktuck911 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:52 pm FWIW, I think it's a BIG mistake to go after a DII coach...
Why?

I think it'd be a big mistake to be closed-minded while going through a hiring process.

Dan Engelstad was a D3 HC three years ago, he completely rebuilt Mount St. Mary's and took them to the NCAA Tournament. Joe Gallo was a D2 coach two years ago and a year later he win the NEC regular season title.

I think there are risks involved in hiring a D2 coach- one of the more famous recent examples is Bob Walsh, who killed it at Rhode Island College then failed miserably at Maine (he's now an assistant under Ed Cooley at Providence). But there are risks with hiring a D-1 assistant as well. Hell, even proven D1 HC's have have struggled when jumping a level (Shaka Smart, Archie Miller).

There's no proven formula that is guaranteed to work. I could see a guy like Tobin Anderson coming in and winning an NEC crown in 3 years. I could also see him finishing 4-14 five years in a row. But the same goes for guys like Sellers and Curran. It's impossible to know.
hilltopper wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:11 pm In general I agree. However, there are situations where the D2 (or D3) HC has experience as an assistant coach at the D1 level. So they should be well acquainted with the D1 recruiting process which is very different. There are at least two lower division HC's on the Big Board that do have D1 experience and I think that they have the potential to make the jump. You have to respect a coach that comes into a D2 or D3 program, turns it around and builds a year after year winner.
Yup.

To me, there's not a huge difference between a high-level D2 program (annual NCAA Tournament participant) and a low-level D1 program like Central. There is certainly quite a bit of overlap in terms of the quality of players they are recruiting (the top players in the Northeast 10 could absolutely be rotation players in the NEC, but not stars).
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

To be clear, I'm not suggesting CCSU should hire Tobin Anderson, Mike Donnelly, Jack Perri, or any other D2/D3 coach.

I just think they should be considering it, and they deserve to be interviewed if interested.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:53 am To be clear, I'm not suggesting CCSU should hire Tobin Anderson, Mike Donnelly, Jack Perri, or any other D2/D3 coach.

I just think they should be considering it, and they deserve to be interviewed if interested.
I agree - we all need to keep an open mind, but for the record, the examples of Dan Engelstand and Joe Gallo had other factors.

Englstand was an assistant at The Mount under Milan Brown (and was an assistant at Holy Cross) before taking over D-III Southern Vermont. He was very familiar with the program and the NEC.

Gallo was the current HC at Merrimack when they reclassified the program. He transitioned the team to D-I and has had great success, but that was his team, he didn't rebuild Merrimack from scratch at the D-I level.

As for CCSU candidates:

Jack Perri (former HC ad LIU) has enough related D-I experience in addition to D-II/III head coaching credentials. Not sure I'm want a retread with limited success. I would go with someone with a lot more upside.

Mike Donnelly has only been a HC at the D-II level (Post, Southern Conn., and Florida Southern), but he spend a lot of time in Connecticut and of course played at CCSU. He may be a candidate, but he's definitely a dark horse in these stakes.

Scott Burrell is a D-II head coach (SCSU), but spent 7 years as an assistant in the NEC at Quinnipiac under Tom Moore. IMO - That's relevant experience. However, I think CCSU's UConn-NBA head coaching experiment the last 5 years will fairly or not cause a lot of hesitation. He may have been a better choice than DM 5 years ago, but probably isn't a viable replacement this time around.

Mitch Oliver is currently HC at a D-III program (Albertus Magnus), but also has some time as a NEC assistant at Sacred Heart and Quinnipiac. Absolutely a candidate to take seriously.

Tobin Anderson has a very impressive record, but other than a very short stint as an assistant at Siena, has no D-I experience. He's spent his career at the D-II/III level in New York State. He should get a fair shot, but he's got a lot less going for him compared to the other candidates on the board. CCSU isn't picking the next HC based on his on court record or basketball strategy alone, so I'm not sure he's the guy to rebuild a D-I program from the ground up.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Everyone has warts. I could come up with arguments against every guy on that list at the top. There are no sure-fire home run hires listed.

My general points have been:
1) They should be open minded to D1 assistants, non-D1 HCs, and former D1 HCs.
2) They shouldn't put TOO MUCH stock in the fact that someone either played or coached here (Yes, it matters. How much? Tough to say. But it shouldn't be the primary reason someone gets the job).
3) They should poke holes in the resume, have candidates provide answers, and should get 3rd party feedback.

I see no reason why they WOULDN'T do those things. I'm also well aware they are looking for someone who will help create an atmosphere that makes academics a priority and will recruit high-character players.

As for the D2 coaches listed above- everyone has a story. Like I've said about Anderson- he built that program from NOTHING into a D2 power in a short time, and people behind the scenes RAVE about him. Mike Donnelly built SCSU, so I'm not sure why someone would prefer Scott Burrell over Donnelly, but Burrell would have 100% been a better hire than Marshall.

I remain very high on Sellers and Curran, but even they are not guaranteed to succeed. If either are so great, why aren't they in the mix for other jobs like Albany or Hofstra? No matter who Central hires, it's ultimately a roll of the dice as to whether they will succeed or not.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:11 pm Everyone has warts. I could come up with arguments against every guy on that list at the top. There are no sure-fire home run hires listed.

My general points have been:
1) They should be open minded to D1 assistants, non-D1 HCs, and former D1 HCs.
2) They shouldn't put TOO MUCH stock in the fact that someone either played or coached here (Yes, it matters. How much? Tough to say. But it shouldn't be the primary reason someone gets the job).
3) They should poke holes in the resume, have candidates provide answers, and should get 3rd party feedback.

I see no reason why they WOULDN'T do those things. I'm also well aware they are looking for someone who will help create an atmosphere that makes academics a priority and will recruit high-character players.

As for the D2 coaches listed above- everyone has a story. Like I've said about Anderson- he built that program from NOTHING into a D2 power in a short time, and people behind the scenes RAVE about him. Mike Donnelly built SCSU, so I'm not sure why someone would prefer Scott Burrell over Donnelly, but Burrell would have 100% been a better hire than Marshall.

I remain very high on Sellers and Curran, but even they are not guaranteed to succeed. If either are so great, why aren't they in the mix for other jobs like Albany or Hofstra? No matter who Central hires, it's ultimately a roll of the dice as to whether they will succeed or not.
Couldn't agree more! The job of the interview panel and references is to ask the very tough question. Look at everyone with a critical eye about every aspect of the job (Staff management, recruiting, academic standards, in-game strategy, promotion, fund raising, etc). This is more than a coaching job - its a teaching, management, public affairs, and basketball job.

Agreed about Burrell - just bad timing for him. Again, he would have been a better idea 5 years ago, but we have stronger options this time around. Plus, I just don't think the optics look good with back-to-back UConn-NBA players at Central. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a candidate for the Quinnipiac job in a year after they Dunleavy is let go.

And you are correct that there are absolutely no guarantees with the top-2 candidates in Curran and Sellers. On paper, either is a great choice, but you never know how that translates if the get they job. The next coach comes in facing a lot of challenges and some opportunities. Lots of good coaching selections at other schools don't pan out as expected -- and even those that do usually never live up to unrealistic expectations from fans. :)
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:22 pm Lots of good coaching selections at other schools don't pan out as expected -- and even those that do usually never live up to unrealistic expectations from fans. :)
I'm kind of curious; what are others' expectation of the next coach? Like, what would you SIGN for right now? Are you expecting a title in the next 4-5 years?

Assuming the new coach signs a 5 year deal, this is what I'd sign for:

1) One good opportunity at an NCAA Tournament, as I'll define as a top 2ish finish in the regular season (home court through the semis?). Something like that.
2) Two seasons above .500 and 1 close to it (8-10? 7-11?)
3) A clear trend upwards during rebuilding years (subjective clearly, but I really mean; don't finish 3-15 with a bunch of juniors and seniors).

I'm not about to sit here and say that it's a failure if we aren't in the NCAA Tournament in the next 5 years when we haven't sniffed that atmosphere since 2007. Just have us playing meaningful basketball in late February/early March every few years. And don't have us in last place multiple years in a row.

A home-run hire would be what Grasso has done; at the top of the league by year 3 (I know they didn't technically finish 1st, but they had the highest Kenpom rating which tells me they were the best team regardless of their conference record).
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

I think the expectations need to be high. We’ve literally been rebuilding since 2007. It’s enough. NEC playoffs are not a reason for promotion. It should be automatic, every year, beginning year 1, period. I almost would like to offer a three year deal with options, as in if you don’t show immediate improvement, have a nice day. Sorry but we’ve been the doormat of the NEC for far too long and it needs to end. I haven’t heard anyone mention any further transfers so there is more than enough to start with in the NEC. Sorry, not sorry, let’s get going already. No time for 4 or 5 years till an NCAA. Three tops. Also, be like Wagner and maybe Bryant. Own this league, every year, BUILD something...see ccsu football as an example. #gitterdone