Big Board!

Lets talk some Hoops!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Big Board!

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:35 pm I almost would like to offer a three year deal with options, as in if you don’t show immediate improvement, have a nice day.
I believe the market is 5 years. Theoretically that gives a new coach 1 year to recruit "his guys", then 4 years with them. I think I saw one coach signed a 4-year deal with a 1-yr option, but I don't remember who it was or what school it was.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

In general, I would expect making the NEC Tourney nearly annually, even in Year 1. Going 6-12 in the NEC should be our floor in the very bad years - anything less would have to be because of very rare circumstances. Hovering around .500 overall is successful based on our resources.

Obviously, NCAA Tournaments are the ultimate measure of success, but realistically that is very difficult even under the best circumstances. But if you are making the NEC Tourney each year, then NEC Finals appearances at least 1 out of every 4 years is the goal. Every 4-year players should get a Championship game appearance.

Basically, be COMPETATIVE in ever game you play, either vs. St. Francis (NY) or UConn. I look at it like baseball - you should win 1/3 of the games because you are the better team. You will lose 1/3 of the games, because the opponent is the better team. The question is what will we do with the 1/3 of the games when we are equally matched? In a 28+ game season, we should have at least 10 wins a year, period - something we have only done twice in the last 7 years! From 1998-99 to 2013-14 (15 seasons) we won at least 11 games per year, made 5 NEC Tourney Finals and 3 NCAA Tournaments.

It would also be great if the new coach can find us a POY in his first 5 seasons, a ROY, and some 1st and 2nd Team selections :)

The other expectation that I personally have, is I would like someone who will PROMOTE this program all year long. He has to get student involvement, alumni involvement, appeal to the greater Hartford region sports fans and market the hell out of this program.

Howie did a great job in March when he made the NCAA Tourney - no one was a better ambassador for the school. His press conferences were legendary. But I always felt he didn't do enough to elevate this to a real "mid major" program. Where was the weekly coaches show in-season, offseason updates, radio/tv appearances? He was great on the charity circuit, but I want someone who is going to push this program to the media and make them take notice. I would like a self-promotor to push the school to take on a bigger role and elevate expectations of the Administration.

The new guy has to be able to mange-up the chain at CCSU and be prepared to do more with less than most of his peers in the NEC and region.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:09 pm
ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:35 pm I almost would like to offer a three year deal with options, as in if you don’t show immediate improvement, have a nice day.
I believe the market is 5 years. Theoretically that gives a new coach 1 year to recruit "his guys", then 4 years with them. I think I saw one coach signed a 4-year deal with a 1-yr option, but I don't remember who it was or what school it was.
We gave DM a 5-year deal and that makes sense for the new guy.

I would note, at the time, we gave the new football coach (Rossomando) a 4-year deal. I don't know what we gave to McCarthy when he was given the job.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:59 pm

The other expectation that I personally have, is I would like someone who will PROMOTE this program all year long. He has to get student involvement, alumni involvement, appeal to the greater Hartford region sports fans and market the hell out of this program.

Howie did a great job in March when he made the NCAA Tourney - no one was a better ambassador for the school. His press conferences were legendary. But I always felt he didn't do enough to elevate this to a real "mid major" program. Where was the weekly coaches show in-season, offseason updates, radio/tv appearances? He was great on the charity circuit, but I want someone who is going to push this program to the media and make them take notice. I would like a self-promotor to push the school to take on a bigger role and elevate expectations of the Administration.
This is spot on and something I should have mentioned.

Look around at this league and you see guys like Anthony Latina and Jared Grasso constantly hopping on different hoops podcasts, and Joe Gallo and Dan Engelstad are out there as well. Herenda has his own radio show. Krimmel is pretty open with the media. I don't see a ton from Mason, Kellogg or Braica.

Marshall couldn't be bothered to do those kinds of things, and I really think it hurt the program. At least Howie was interviewed by Marc/Bruce before games; Marshall started doing that, then stopped a couple of years ago. Jared Kotler interviews all the in-state D1 coaches during every pre-season on his podcast, and Marshall never went on. James Jones, Jay Young, Latina, Gallagher, Dunleavy- those guys were out there promoting their programs.

I'd like to see someone that's engaged and wants to talk hoops. I believe Steve Curran would be AWESOME at this. Pat Sellers? I'm not so sure, though I could be wrong.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:34 pm
J.J. wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:59 pm

This is spot on and something I should have mentioned.

Look around at this league and you see guys like Anthony Latina and Jared Grasso constantly hopping on different hoops podcasts, and Joe Gallo and Dan Engelstad are out there as well. Herenda has his own radio show. Krimmel is pretty open with the media. I don't see a ton from Mason, Kellogg or Braica.

Marshall couldn't be bothered to do those kinds of things, and I really think it hurt the program. At least Howie was interviewed by Marc/Bruce before games; Marshall started doing that, then stopped a couple of years ago. Jared Kotler interviews all the in-state D1 coaches during every pre-season on his podcast, and Marshall never went on. James Jones, Jay Young, Latina, Gallagher, Dunleavy- those guys were out there promoting their programs.

I'd like to see someone that's engaged and wants to talk hoops. I believe Steve Curran would be AWESOME at this. Pat Sellers? I'm not so sure, though I could be wrong.
Amen to all of this. It is so needed and has been totally absent for 5 years. Vitally important. Again, see CCSU Football as the example.
callmecasual
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by callmecasual »

Has there been any information? Any movement?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

callmecasual wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:09 pm Has there been any information? Any movement?
Remember, job opportunity was officially posted last week and it does not close until 3/30. I don’t expect we will hear anything until then.

I am hoping that names of those scheduled for an interview will start to leak in the media about a week from today.
callmecasual
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by callmecasual »

J.J. wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:33 pm
callmecasual wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:09 pm Has there been any information? Any movement?
Remember, job opportunity was officially posted last week and it does not close until 3/30. I don’t expect we will hear anything until then.

I am hoping that names of those scheduled for an interview will start to leak in the media about a week from today.
Officially posted doesn't mean they don't already have their guy. Stuff like this is often done before the job is ever posted. Was just curious if anyone was in the know, one way or the other.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

callmecasual wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:26 pm
J.J. wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:33 pm

Officially posted doesn't mean they don't already have their guy. Stuff like this is often done before the job is ever posted. Was just curious if anyone was in the know, one way or the other.
Agreed, in many cases you're right. In this particular situation, I don't think they have their guy yet. I bet they have some favorites identified, but I have no inside info. :(
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:27 am
ktuck911 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:52 pm FWIW, I think it's a BIG mistake to go after a DII coach...
Why?

I think it'd be a big mistake to be closed-minded while going through a hiring process.

Dan Engelstad was a D3 HC three years ago, he completely rebuilt Mount St. Mary's and took them to the NCAA Tournament. Joe Gallo was a D2 coach two years ago and a year later he win the NEC regular season title.

I think there are risks involved in hiring a D2 coach- one of the more famous recent examples is Bob Walsh, who killed it at Rhode Island College then failed miserably at Maine (he's now an assistant under Ed Cooley at Providence). But there are risks with hiring a D-1 assistant as well. Hell, even proven D1 HC's have have struggled when jumping a level (Shaka Smart, Archie Miller).

There's no proven formula that is guaranteed to work. I could see a guy like Tobin Anderson coming in and winning an NEC crown in 3 years. I could also see him finishing 4-14 five years in a row. But the same goes for guys like Sellers and Curran. It's impossible to know.
hilltopper wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:11 pm In general I agree. However, there are situations where the D2 (or D3) HC has experience as an assistant coach at the D1 level. So they should be well acquainted with the D1 recruiting process which is very different. There are at least two lower division HC's on the Big Board that do have D1 experience and I think that they have the potential to make the jump. You have to respect a coach that comes into a D2 or D3 program, turns it around and builds a year after year winner.
Yup.

To me, there's not a huge difference between a high-level D2 program (annual NCAA Tournament participant) and a low-level D1 program like Central. There is certainly quite a bit of overlap in terms of the quality of players they are recruiting (the top players in the Northeast 10 could absolutely be rotation players in the NEC, but not stars).
Valid points indeed guys, but I believe CCSU needs to look more so into taking routes that improve recruiting. Go with guys that have been around the block at the D1 level for awhile, not at this stage the program is in.

You really want to stay in the cycle? Bring in a guy that has seen enough at the highest level of college basketball, been around it for awhile, that truly understands how to recruit players that can play at that highest level (that means even using the transfer portal, so you won't continue to continuously recruit at the lowest levels of D1 basketball only to one day hope you find another Corliss Williamson...) Do you guys really want to continue to start over?

Winning, at some point, has to matter... I don't mean literally dominating the league (although it'd be nice), but, at the very least, put a team on the court that can give you a winning record year in and year out.... (getting you to 17 wins at least a year needs to be attainable)...
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Totally agree, winning needs to be the priority. I also get the five year “plan” but it was clear the DM wasn’t gonna cut it by year 2, maybe 3 but it was obvious in 4 &5. I know we don’t have the money to get rid of a coach and pay his and a replacement hire which is why this hire is so crucial. Toms got some pressure, no doubt.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

ktuck911....Corliss Williamson? Did you mean Corsley Edwards?
And in answer to your question about wanting to "stay in this cycle" and wanting to "continue to start over", the answer would be, "Uhh...obviously not." Which is precisely the reason that this is truly a make-or-break hire. We need someone who can take the program into the modern age. No one is going to win here by just doing the same crap that was being done 25+ years ago. That will not work here. The game has evolved by leaps and bounds over the past decade. We need someone who does things DIFFERENTLY--and who lives and breathes the MODERN game.
As for recruiting...NEC teams will ALWAYS be recruiting at the lowest level of D1 basketball. No one is landing 4 or 5 star recruits in the NEC. And the occasional 3 star recruit is a rarity. Recruiting at this level comes from evaluating talent using the barometer of analytics. Ask Latina why he continues to land recruits that seem to slip through the cracks. He'll tell ya, "Analytics." Ask him how they evaluate players on their team, and how they goal-set as a team. He'll tell ya, "Analytics."
We need a FORWARD-THINKING coach, period.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

BigBlue92 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:49 am ktuck911....Corliss Williamson? Did you mean Corsley Edwards?
And in answer to your question about wanting to "stay in this cycle" and wanting to "continue to start over", the answer would be, "Uhh...obviously not." Which is precisely the reason that this is truly a make-or-break hire. We need someone who can take the program into the modern age. No one is going to win here by just doing the same crap that was being done 25+ years ago. That will not work here. The game has evolved by leaps and bounds over the past decade. We need someone who does things DIFFERENTLY--and who lives and breathes the MODERN game.
As for recruiting...NEC teams will ALWAYS be recruiting at the lowest level of D1 basketball. No one is landing 4 or 5 star recruits in the NEC. And the occasional 3 star recruit is a rarity. Recruiting at this level comes from evaluating talent using the barometer of analytics. Ask Latina why he continues to land recruits that seem to slip through the cracks. He'll tell ya, "Analytics." Ask him how they evaluate players on their team, and how they goal-set as a team. He'll tell ya, "Analytics."
I agree with this 100%, but would add that it's more than analytics. The next coach has to have a growth mindset (hello 21st century corporate buzzword).

There are so many people/sites who are looking at different ways to attack the modern game on both the offensive and defensive end (i.e. how to defend the modern pick & roll), and breaking down the game at a high level. Essentially; we need to hire a coach who is progressive. Not someone who thinks they "know everything" because they've been coaching for X number of years.

Are they willing to learn and change/adapt?
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Analytics is a very important tool, but it is not magic.
It is not going to show you that you should recruit an overweight baby huey, red shirt him and turn him into a Corsley Edwards, or a mediocre HS player and make him into a Rick Mickens. Both those guys did not have much D1 interest. Someone here quoted Howie as saying the only competition in recruiting Rick Mickens was Stop and Shop. Yet they developed into Central greats.
And how about Javier Mojica? Is he still playing pro basketball? remember he was a walk on. And what about Kyle Vinales? His only other offer was from a D2 school.

A big part of recruiting at the mid major level involves assessing the POTENTIAL for development.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:15 pm
BigBlue92 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:49 am ktuck911....Corliss Williamson? Did you mean Corsley Edwards?
I agree with this 100%, but would add that it's more than analytics. The next coach has to have a growth mindset (hello 21st century corporate buzzword).

There are so many people/sites who are looking at different ways to attack the modern game on both the offensive and defensive end (i.e. how to defend the modern pick & roll), and breaking down the game at a high level. Essentially; we need to hire a coach who is progressive. Not someone who thinks they "know everything" because they've been coaching for X number of years.

Are they willing to learn and change/adapt?
No doubt! You've articulated it better than I did, but that's what I was getting at. The modern game is in a constant state of change. The overseas game is influencing the American game these days. American coaches are looking abroad for new creative ideas--offensively and defensively. We need a coach who continues to learn the game and is willing to evolve.