Big Board!

Lets talk some Hoops!
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Big Board!

Post by BigBlue92 »

hilltopper wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:22 pm Analytics is a very important tool, but it is not magic.
It is not going to show you that you should recruit an overweight baby huey, red shirt him and turn him into a Corsley Edwards, or a mediocre HS player and make him into a Rick Mickens. Both those guys did not have much D1 interest. Someone here quoted Howie as saying the only competition in recruiting Rick Mickens was Stop and Shop. Yet they developed into Central greats.
And how about Javier Mojica? Is he still playing pro basketball? remember he was a walk on. And what about Kyle Vinales? His only other offer was from a D2 school.

A big part of recruiting at the mid major level involves assessing the POTENTIAL for development.
100% agree! Analytics is not magic, BUT it IS an important tool...especially when "assessing the potential for development." Therefore, I think we're all in agreement here.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

BigBlue92 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:49 pm No doubt! You've articulated it better than I did, but that's what I was getting at. The modern game is in a constant state of change. The overseas game is influencing the American game these days. American coaches are looking abroad for new creative ideas--offensively and defensively. We need a coach who continues to learn the game and is willing to evolve.
Yup. Let's face it, Donyell did it the way he's "always done it", and had no willingness to change or adapt. It's quite striking that he spent time under Nate Oats at Buffalo. Oats is famously a former High School math teacher who looks at everything through a math lens (i.e. no mid-range jumpers).

Marshall's offensive and defensive schemes were straight out of 1995, and he refused to learn from others in and around the game.

THAT'S the mistake we can't make again.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

BigBlue92 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:49 am ktuck911....Corliss Williamson? Did you mean Corsley Edwards?
And in answer to your question about wanting to "stay in this cycle" and wanting to "continue to start over", the answer would be, "Uhh...obviously not." Which is precisely the reason that this is truly a make-or-break hire. We need someone who can take the program into the modern age. No one is going to win here by just doing the same crap that was being done 25+ years ago. That will not work here. The game has evolved by leaps and bounds over the past decade. We need someone who does things DIFFERENTLY--and who lives and breathes the MODERN game.
As for recruiting...NEC teams will ALWAYS be recruiting at the lowest level of D1 basketball. No one is landing 4 or 5 star recruits in the NEC. And the occasional 3 star recruit is a rarity. Recruiting at this level comes from evaluating talent using the barometer of analytics. Ask Latina why he continues to land recruits that seem to slip through the cracks. He'll tell ya, "Analytics." Ask him how they evaluate players on their team, and how they goal-set as a team. He'll tell ya, "Analytics."
We need a FORWARD-THINKING coach, period.
Ummmm Yep! My bad guys... I was on a role there.. sincerely sorry.. LOL... Definitely Corsley Edwards... btw, what's he been up to lately..... LOL... Wasn't he an assistant somewhere on the professional league level????

BTW, I'm with you on the Forward Thinking aspect... Which also means there are a few coaches that have been around the game for quite some time (25 years even) that are actually evolving with the game as it's being played today...

And, lastly, I still believe in getting a few transfers somewhere (JUCO, the occasional 3 star that moves on from a mid or high major program)... It's still doable, and should be done in New Britain... Just no more starting from scratch here... I've seen quite a few games either on line or on TV where BOTH the CCSU men and women play competitively, but never enough to win enough.... Time for progress.... after all it's D1 Basketball in a state (CT) that has a HUGE following for the sport in general...
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

FWIW, I still think Sellers is ultimately the guy... He's seen a lot... Different coaching styles... he's still young enough too...
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

ktuck911 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:52 am
BigBlue92 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:49 am ktuck911....Corliss Williamson? Did you mean Corsley Edwards?
And in answer to your question about wanting to "stay in this cycle" and wanting to "continue to start over", the answer would be, "Uhh...obviously not." Which is precisely the reason that this is truly a make-or-break hire. We need someone who can take the program into the modern age. No one is going to win here by just doing the same crap that was being done 25+ years ago. That will not work here. The game has evolved by leaps and bounds over the past decade. We need someone who does things DIFFERENTLY--and who lives and breathes the MODERN game.
As for recruiting...NEC teams will ALWAYS be recruiting at the lowest level of D1 basketball. No one is landing 4 or 5 star recruits in the NEC. And the occasional 3 star recruit is a rarity. Recruiting at this level comes from evaluating talent using the barometer of analytics. Ask Latina why he continues to land recruits that seem to slip through the cracks. He'll tell ya, "Analytics." Ask him how they evaluate players on their team, and how they goal-set as a team. He'll tell ya, "Analytics."
We need a FORWARD-THINKING coach, period.
Ummmm Yep! My bad guys... I was on a role there.. sincerely sorry.. LOL... Definitely Corsley Edwards... btw, what's he been up to lately..... LOL... Wasn't he an assistant somewhere on the professional league level????

BTW, I'm with you on the Forward Thinking aspect... Which also means there are a few coaches that have been around the game for quite some time (25 years even) that are actually evolving with the game as it's being played today...

And, lastly, I still believe in getting a few transfers somewhere (JUCO, the occasional 3 star that moves on from a mid or high major program)... It's still doable, and should be done in New Britain... Just no more starting from scratch here... I've seen quite a few games either on line or on TV where BOTH the CCSU men and women play competitively, but never enough to win enough.... Time for progress.... after all it's D1 Basketball in a state (CT) that has a HUGE following for the sport in general...
Agreed!!! And I agree with your assessment of Pat's chances. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Pat or Curran.
Oh, and Corsley is still involved in the game. He played in that Big-3 league last year. Great guy!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Well the application period has officially closed. Now we wait for info on who may be getting interviewed.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Doing some off the grid digging... Sometimes you find guys thru twitter follows (hard to do but sometimes you hit).. I came up with a guy that could very well be a possibility for CCSU, but, I think only if CCSU is potentially taking this route for budgetary purposes.. Weird match here but what about Norfolk State's HC Robert Jones? Decent resume ... He wins in his conference at a pretty decent clip... and he's basically coached most of his life in the NY area (albeit on lower levels)... The guy wins in his own conference... That would speak volumes for this program... He'd probably be able to recruit the NYC area pretty decent

https://nsuspartans.com/sports/mens-bas ... -jones/774
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

I know what I just posted about the Norfolk State HC is a reach.. but sometimes... you just never know...

With that said, I sure hope you guys get somebody within the next month... Gotta get some recruits in the fold and get ready for new beginnings sooner rather than later... can't do the wait til mid/end of Summer routine to fill out your roster anymore. Rooting hard for you guys....

2007 seemed a lot like a life time ago, when it wasn't really that long ago...
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

My FINAL ODDS:

Pat Sellers 2-1
Steve Curran 5-2
Chris Casey 4-1
Mike Donnelly 7-1
Tobin Anderson 8-1
Jim Ferry 11-1
Will Brown 12-1
Matt Kingsley 14-1
Phil Martelli Jr. 16-1
Ted Hotaling 19-1
Antoni Wyche 20-1
Gus Argenal 25-1
Mitch Oliver 30-1
Tom Moore 30-1
Scott Burrell 75-1
Other 19-1
callmecasual
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by callmecasual »

Looking at Tom's twitter doesn't give a whole lot.

Sellers, Curran, Ferry, Hotaling, Burrell, Argenal, and Martelli all have some of connection. Maybe more that I missed.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

BigBlue92 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:13 am My FINAL ODDS:

Pat Sellers 2-1
Steve Curran 5-2
Chris Casey 4-1
Mike Donnelly 7-1
Tobin Anderson 8-1
Jim Ferry 11-1
Will Brown 12-1
Matt Kingsley 14-1
Phil Martelli Jr. 16-1
Ted Hotaling 19-1
Antoni Wyche 20-1
Gus Argenal 25-1
Mitch Oliver 30-1
Tom Moore 30-1
Scott Burrell 75-1
Other 19-1
I'd take Sellers straight up. But with those odds, give me Kingsley at 14-1. I'm looking for a payout here.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Does anyone know any details on how the selection process works? Is it a panel? and if so who is on the panel? and what influence does each panel member have? How much weight is given to Tom's choice? Does Howie have any input?

In any event we certainly want the vetting and decision to be thorough but it also needs to be done in a timely fashion. It is important for the new HC to assemble his staff and begin recruiting asap.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Mum is always the word from ccsu...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:15 am Does anyone know any details on how the selection process works? Is it a panel? and if so who is on the panel? and what influence does each panel member have? How much weight is given to Tom's choice? Does Howie have any input?

In any event we certainly want the vetting and decision to be thorough but it also needs to be done in a timely fashion. It is important for the new HC to assemble his staff and begin recruiting asap.
From what I understand, there is a committee. Who is on the committee is anyone's guess (Tom, Sal are obvious, but I do not know who else). I do know the committee has been finalized.

The Howie question is an important one. I've heard it's "doubtful" that he has any influence. I've also heard "possible". So who knows. What I do know is that IF Howie has any influence, it's 100% Sellers' job to lose. And at least one guy we've discussed stands little chance if Howie is providing valuable input.

I believe it'll be done quickly once they are able to "officially" interview. But we're still two weeks away from that point. I'd think think they'll pick 5 or 6 guys and get it done in 10 days or so. But that's just an estimated guess.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

hilltopper wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:15 am Does anyone know any details on how the selection process works? Is it a panel? and if so who is on the panel? and what influence does each panel member have? How much weight is given to Tom's choice? Does Howie have any input?

Not sure, but hopefully Mike Anthony will do a story on the search process and outcomes.

Tom P. was the search committee chairman last time so he knows how the process should work. With a new COO and new President, I think the process will go a lot smoother.