Big Board!

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Big Board!

Post by J.J. »

I also think it is Sellers job to lose, but it would be interesting to see what other names pop up on the interview and final list.

Almost 5 years ago to the day (Mar. 31, 2016) Mike Anthony reported in the Hartford Courant that the three finalists were Jay Young, Pat Sellers, and Donyell Marshall. We know that the AD selection was Young, but DM was the choice of the CAO and President.

Curran, Grasso, Andre LaFleur, and Shaheen Holloway were also interviewed.

I'd have to say Sellers has a leg-up on the pool for a variety of reasons and we know he nearly got the job last time around. Anything can happen (it is Central we are talking about), so I'm ready to support the process and let it play out. But seeing how bad it went last time, I am hoping for more transparency from CCSU.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:33 am
hilltopper wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:15 am Does anyone know any details on how the selection process works? Is it a panel? and if so who is on the panel? and what influence does each panel member have? How much weight is given to Tom's choice? Does Howie have any input?

In any event we certainly want the vetting and decision to be thorough but it also needs to be done in a timely fashion. It is important for the new HC to assemble his staff and begin recruiting asap.
From what I understand, there is a committee. Who is on the committee is anyone's guess (Tom, Sal are obvious, but I do not know who else). I do know the committee has been finalized.

The Howie question is an important one. I've heard it's "doubtful" that he has any influence. I've also heard "possible". So who knows. What I do know is that IF Howie has any influence, it's 100% Sellers' job to lose. And at least one guy we've discussed stands little chance if Howie is providing valuable input.

I believe it'll be done quickly once they are able to "officially" interview. But we're still two weeks away from that point. I'd think think they'll pick 5 or 6 guys and get it done in 10 days or so. But that's just an estimated guess.
thanks for the providing a little more clarity... basically, 2 weeks away... I was under the impression you guys were/might be getting someone sooner...procedures are procedures..
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Hey, thanks for all the responses to my questions.
Now please assure me that it will be better this time around [-o<
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

hilltopper wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:52 pm Hey, thanks for all the responses to my questions.
Please tell me there’s no worse than 104 loses in 5 years. #lowbar..
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:52 pm Hey, thanks for all the responses to my questions.
Based on the names we've seen, I just don't feel like Tom & Co. can screw this up.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:07 am
Based on the names we've seen, I just don't feel like Tom & Co. can screw this up.
Not sure who is around anymore that can upend the process from the top.
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

Some new names and new odds!!!

Pat Sellers 2-1
Steve Curran 5-2
Dave Paulsen 3-1
Jim Ferry 7-2
Will Brown 4-1
Chris Casey 6-1
Mike Donnelly 8-1
Tobin Anderson 10-1
Matt Kingsley 14-1
Phil Martelli Jr. 16-1
Ted Hotaling 19-1
Antoni Wyche 22-1
Gus Argenal 25-1
Mitch Oliver 30-1
Tom Moore 30-1
Scott Burrell 75-1
Other 19-1
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I was thinking about it this morning and it's kind of tough to compare D1 HC resumes to D1 assistants (or D2 guys). But I have preferences within those different boxes.

Former D1 HCs- 1) Paulsen, 2) Brown, 3) Ferry
D1 Assistants- 1) Curran, 2) Sellers, 3) Kingsley, 4) Martelli Jr., 5) Wyche
Non-D1 HCs- 1) Anderson, 2) Donnelly

10 guys I think would be successful here. It's hard for me to rationalize anyone else (unless its someone that hasn't been mentioned here or elsewhere).
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Out of the 3 Former D1 HCs you mention, I like Ferry the best...
Pretty strong resumes with Sellers, Curran, Kingsley too... IF you go young Martelli, Jr is strong...

I'm still on the Sellers train at this point though... but after reading Curran's profile I get why he makes tons of sense now.. At this level, he's pretty much lived it... coached at tons of schools at this level.. Looks like he eats, sleeps, and breathes this level.. AND he had success at CCSU as an assistant during his 5 year tenure there....
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

Wait....is this the same Ktuck who wrote this:
“If Sellers isn't given the red carpet home CCSU Men's Basketball will wait another generation before they see another hay day moment that Howie and company had with you guys.” AND argued with me for simply asking why Sellers should be an automatic choice...???????
Hmmmmm....apparently we’ve brought him to the dark side. Hahaha!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

BigBlue92 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:35 pm Wait....is this the same Ktuck who wrote this:
“If Sellers isn't given the red carpet home CCSU Men's Basketball will wait another generation before they see another hay day moment that Howie and company had with you guys.” AND argued with me for simply asking why Sellers should be an automatic choice...???????
lmao... dude... I started to do some research on the coaches... It's gonna be a lot closer than I thought....
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

ktuck911 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:49 pm
BigBlue92 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:35 pm Wait....is this the same Ktuck who wrote this:
lmao... dude... I started to do some research on the coaches... It's gonna be a lot closer than I thought....
I was just joking around and being a jerk. I always appreciate your insight, especially on your football posts. Let’s hope we get a good coach and turn this ship around!
Peace.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

BigBlue92 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:54 pm
ktuck911 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:49 pm
I was just joking around and being a jerk. I always appreciate your insight, especially on your football posts. Let’s hope we get a good coach and turn this ship around!
Peace.
It's all good bro... lol.... I love talking up sports.... Nice to see D1 schools in CT shine.... Not so nice to see them struggle for too long....
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:44 pm Breaking news from The Recorder:

https://centralrecorder.org/77120/sport ... -for-ccsu/
Let's not ignore how great it is that Tom values the school newspaper enough to give Ryan this scoop, rather than the Courant or another paper.

Pincince just continues to get it right. Which is why I'm so confident in his ability to get this done.