Scantlebury enters the portal

Lets talk some Hoops!
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Scantlebury enters the portal

Post by BigBlue92 »

Per Verbal Commits:

Central Connecticut State G Nigel Scantlebury (JR) has entered the transfer portal. verbalcommits.com/players/nigel-…
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Re: Scantlebury enters the portal

Post by jcframingham »

I thought maybe enough would come back next year for us to improve a little, but not looking that way. It will never cease to amaze me how players bounce around programs, e.g. two of our players with one year of eligibility entering Verbalcommits.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

jcframingham wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:44 am I thought maybe enough would come back next year for us to improve a little, but not looking that way. It will never cease to amaze me how players bounce around programs, e.g. two of our players with one year of eligibility entering Verbalcommits.
Why is that problematic? Every player will be immediately eligible.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

So that makes 3? And a graduating senior correct?
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

ccsuhoops wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:14 am So that makes 3? And a graduating senior correct?
I believe that makes 4

Transfers:
Reid
Scantlebury
Wilson
Mitchell
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:52 am
jcframingham wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:44 am I thought maybe enough would come back next year for us to improve a little, but not looking that way. It will never cease to amaze me how players bounce around programs, e.g. two of our players with one year of eligibility entering Verbalcommits.
Why is that problematic? Every player will be immediately eligible.
So Mitchell and Scantlebury will get two years immediately? I still think players bounce around programs too much and are too selective, but I think I see your point.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

jcframingham wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:27 am
So Mitchell and Scantlebury will get two years immediately? I still think players bounce around programs too much and are too selective, but I think I see your point.
Correct. Both players will have two years of eligibility, which can begin this upcoming season.

On a micro level; all these players came to play for Donyell Marshall. He's not here anymore. Do they somehow owe loyalty to the school? If your company fires your manager and replaces them, are you obligated to stay for a certain period of time?

On a macro level though; why is it a problem if players bounce around? Coaches (both HCs and assistants) leave for better jobs all the time. And Head Coaches push kids out all the time as well (scholarships are annually renewable, not 4 year contracts). It's ok for coaches to essentially pull scholarships from the weaker kids on the roster, but it's not ok for the better players to look for better opportunities?

I'll never understand the mentality behind expecting kids to show loyalty to a college/university. No one expects a coach to show loyalty when they can increase their annual salary by finding a better job, no one complains when a kid averaging 3mpg transfers (often times because the coach told them they had to leave), and the schools don't show loyalty when they fire coaching staffs after bad seasons.

I remember 20 years ago when fans/media criticized underclassmen for leaving early for the NBA. As if passing up a year or 2 of college eligibility for a multi-million dollar payday is ever a bad decision. This is basically the same conversation..."It may be good for the kids, but it's not good for ME or my favorite college team!".

The NCAA will likely pass a one-time transfer exemption for all student athletes. I couldn't be more supportive.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

I get it from the kids perspective for sure. And this year is a wash, total rebuild, again 🤦🏻‍♂️. I think where fans get aggravated is in the scenario where your team is right there, one piece away from getting to the NCAA’s and a key piece bolts. But again, I get it, I guess it comes down to perspective, most fans want to win and build something that kids want to come to. Our dumpster fire has kids bolting and I don’t blame them. Hopefully we can get a coach that gets us to the top of the league for good like a RMU, Wagner and dare I say Bryant, then the kids will want to come and stay.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:57 pm I get it from the kids perspective for sure. And this year is a wash, total rebuild, again 🤦🏻‍♂️. I think where fans get aggravated is in the scenario where your team is right there, one piece away from getting to the NCAA’s and a key piece bolts. But again, I get it, I guess it comes down to perspective, most fans want to win and build something that kids want to come to. Our dumpster fire has kids bolting and I don’t blame them. Hopefully we can get a coach that gets us to the top of the league for good like a RMU, Wagner and dare I say Bryant, then the kids will want to come and stay.
Sure, I get frustrated when kids leave too.

I guess it's where you place the blame; placing the blame on the kid is just wrong, imo. You want to blame the coach for not retaining talent? Cool with me. Blame the school for making them play in crappy facilities? Go right ahead. You want to blame whatever deity you pray to that they keep providing us with a losing team? All good!

Just don't blame the kids. They're making selfish decisions, which is what they should be doing. Just like we do when we change jobs.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by jcframingham »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:31 am
jcframingham wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:27 am
Correct. Both players will have two years of eligibility, which can begin this upcoming season.

On a micro level; all these players came to play for Donyell Marshall. He's not here anymore. Do they somehow owe loyalty to the school? If your company fires your manager and replaces them, are you obligated to stay for a certain period of time?

On a macro level though; why is it a problem if players bounce around? Coaches (both HCs and assistants) leave for better jobs all the time. And Head Coaches push kids out all the time as well (scholarships are annually renewable, not 4 year contracts). It's ok for coaches to essentially pull scholarships from the weaker kids on the roster, but it's not ok for the better players to look for better opportunities?

I'll never understand the mentality behind expecting kids to show loyalty to a college/university. No one expects a coach to show loyalty when they can increase their annual salary by finding a better job, no one complains when a kid averaging 3mpg transfers (often times because the coach told them they had to leave), and the schools don't show loyalty when they fire coaching staffs after bad seasons.

I remember 20 years ago when fans/media criticized underclassmen for leaving early for the NBA. As if passing up a year or 2 of college eligibility for a multi-million dollar payday is ever a bad decision. This is basically the same conversation..."It may be good for the kids, but it's not good for ME or my favorite college team!".

The NCAA will likely pass a one-time transfer exemption for all student athletes. I couldn't be more supportive.
To someone who played for four different colleges, I would ask 'was it worth it?'. And I think the honest answer would often be 'no'. You're right that players don't owe a school loyalty, and they most certainly should leave if their scholarship is snatched (even if they have only one year left). But I think too many players are too quick to transfer when they don't have to.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Baker just entered the Portal.

I believe that means there are just 5 players who have not entered; Outlaw, Krishnan, Newkirk, Wallace, and Ola. Ayangma, I BELIEVE, is graduating and moving on (he was part of Senior Night), though I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

Again- this is exactly what these kids SHOULD be doing. It's getting late in the cycle and guys in the Portal are snatching up roster spots. These players deserve to know where they will be playing in the fall. The fact that the school can't interview until next week is not the players' problem.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

So safe to assume ccsu is dragging its feet, wasting time and will be looking at the bottom of the portal when it comes time to fill a team???
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 am So safe to assume ccsu is dragging its feet, wasting time and will be looking at the bottom of the portal when it comes time to fill a team???
The school is 100% NOT dragging its feet. Blame the State of CT, not CCSU, Toro, Tom, or anyone else involved in this.

But yeah, I'm sure filling out a roster for 21-22 will be a challenge. Don't start judging the new coach until we see that first recruiting class take the floor in November of 2022.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 am
ccsuhoops wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 am So safe to assume ccsu is dragging its feet, wasting time and will be looking at the bottom of the portal when it comes time to fill a team???
The school is 100% NOT dragging its feet. Blame the State of CT, not CCSU, Toro, Tom, or anyone else involved in this.

But yeah, I'm sure filling out a roster for 21-22 will be a challenge. Don't start judging the new coach until we see that first recruiting class take the floor in November of 2022.
Not surprising I guess. Wonder if UConn has these hurdles. 🤦🏻‍♂️. You won’t hear any coach judging from me, I’m (as much as I hate it), committed to another total rebuild. All I ask is keep the expectations of the new coach and team high. Making the NEC playoffs is not an achievement, it’s an expectation. Last thing we need is to do this again in five years. Again, see football, baseball and women’s soccer, strive for their success.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

IMO - due to COVID and the impact it has had on eligibility, scholarship and roster limits, and lack of in-person recruiting in 2020, I am not overly worried about filling out a roster for next season.

I agree with 4-3, any kid that want to see what their value is or if they want to gauge interest on the open market should absolutely head to the portal. There is no guarantee anyone from this team is getting another D-I offer right now and when the new coach is hired, they can evaluate that situation as well. I personally think there is a huge supply of players (high school, JC, transfers) and lower demand (limited rosters slots). I think of this as a "buyers market" for coaches, not a sellers market for players. The bubble may burst for many in the portal.

I am much more concerned about putting together a coaching STAFF. My number one priority is finding the right guy to lead the program and his number one priority has to be assembling a staff. The current players (and new recruits) are very important and that's where we will have most of our attention, but I fear that getting contracts done quickly for the right coaching staff is a more challenging process. We have to move very quickly on that, far more quickly than offering new players.