Time for a change...

Lets talk about the rebirth of the WBB program.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Time for a change...

Post by ktuck911 »

Happy New Year folks.. I hope your 2020 is going well so far.

I'm back visiting this forum (taking a break from the frustration at my UConn Football and MBB message boards.. Thank God for UConn WBB.. It's keeping us afloat over there)

I'm still a fan of CCSU Sports as well.... Basketball and Football in particular..

Which pains me to say this, BUT, it looks like it's time to move on from UConn great D. Marshall for the Men as well as Piper for the Women. You deserve better. plain and simple... It's no longer fair at this point. Moral victories, aside, it's time to put up some Ws, plain and simple. MBB has been a revolving door of transfers, JUCOs that haven't even had a chance to gel after 1 year together. and as for WBB, although I really like Piper, I count maybe 1 competitive season (were there any more that I missed???)..

It aint workin out. You guys deserve better...

(Mic drop)
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Time for a change...

Post by hilltopper »

The D1 Head Coaching business is a tough one, all performance based. Basketball is a marquee sport so having both the MBB and WBB scraping the residue of the bottom of the D1 barrel is embarrassing.
I would doubt that anyone is getting fired but renewing expiring contracts is probably not going to happen.
ccsudevils1
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by ccsudevils1 »

WBB Coach Piper placed on Administrative Leave Any idea why besides losing By the why WBB beat Wagner today
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

I look at it a little differently Hoops. It seems to me that Tom is taking charge and assessing the situation. Something I hope he does for MBB.

Having said that, I was a bit surprised that she had the success that was presented. I know the team was in the WNIT twice but I wasn’t aware of the other successes.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Agree Sky, we were actually just chatting that Tom looks to be taking charge of a bad situation. Hopefully he can do the same for DM as his record has to be on par or worse than Beryl in the last 4 seasons. Mid season is a little odd though.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Yeah...something other than a poor record must have happened for this to take place at this time.
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

There are a lot of lines to read between in that article. My assessment is that Tom is going to be an activist AD; and that is exactly what we need. The process needs to start now so that a new coach can be named in time to salvage whatever is left of the recruiting season.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Skyhawkct wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:26 pm Yeah...something other than a poor record must have happened for this to take place at this time.
I agree. No way the AD puts a coach on Admin Leave based only on team performance. Hate to think something really bad went on behind the scenes, but applaud Tom for taking the action he thought was necessary.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Yes, there is no reason to go the administrative leave route in the middle of the season, something more is going on here.
This "administrative leave" is spin control.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Correct. And as we know all too well, coaches are union employees with very strong protections and privacy rights in regards to personnel matters. No way the university would have been authorized to even put Piper on "Administrative Leave" unless the accusations met the criteria laid out in contract language or some other state policy or law.

This can't be good news for her return. Remember the softball coach that led us to the NCAAs? Jeff Franquet was placed on Admin Leave after the 2013 season, months after signing a 3-year contract extension, and never coached here again.
https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-xpm-2 ... story.html

BTW - he's now the softball coach at Delaware State.
https://dsuhornets.com/news/2019/6/27/211806122.aspx
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

So the women end the season with two routes, against lower teams maybe but what prompted all that???
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

I’ve been out of the loop do any here in Fla and haven’t talked to anyone at the university.

Has anyone heard anything at all about our head coach?
newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite »

I hope that Tom hires a new coach. It’s not working anymore.
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 * 2019
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

newbritainite wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:59 pm I hope that Tom hires a new coach. It’s not working anymore.
I think that’s a guarantee at this point.