Coach Rossomando

Its 3rd down and 4 whats your call coach?
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Coach Rossomando

Post by ktuck911 »

wurzshep19 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:06 pm Kinda seemed like Coach Ross never had control of the team, and the excuse of “they aren’t his guys” went away and he still never had control.

This coaching staff lost us more games with poor clock management, questionable play calling and undisciplined teams than you can shake a stick at.

Thanks, and don’t let the door hit you.

Now the issue is who the hell do you find in Jan/Feb that’s any good!?!?
Hopefully you guys will find some good coaches.. There are a lot of coaches that were let go over the last several months that are quality guys.. Even if it may end up being short term, take advantage of it...
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

There is no benefit in pushing the panic button and elevating an assistant to the head coaching position. Rather, recent history should teach us that we need to let our AD conduct a formal and thorough job search for the most experienced, accomplished candidate.

As I recall, Coach Tom Masella was hired well into 2004 and still managed to lead CCSU to an 8-2 overall, 6-1 NEC record for a 1st place tie the following fall. And he did this with essentially the same team that finished 3-8 the previous season under Paul Schudel. We waited this long. We can wait a little longer to get it right.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Looks like they went the interim route. Ryan McCarthy has been named...

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fb ... 0123i9grpk

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fb ... 0701fjqcos
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

Shoreline wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:35 pm There is no benefit in pushing the panic button and elevating an assistant to the head coaching position. Rather, recent history should teach us that we need to let our AD conduct a formal and thorough job search for the most experienced, accomplished candidate.

As I recall, Coach Tom Masella was hired well into 2004 and still managed to lead CCSU to an 8-2 overall, 6-1 NEC record for a 1st place tie the following fall. And he did this with essentially the same team that finished 3-8 the previous season under Paul Schudel. We waited this long. We can wait a little longer to get it right.
YES!!!
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Larryl9797 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:38 pm There is no benefit in pushing the panic button and elevating an assistant to the head coaching position. Rather, recent history should teach us that we need to let our AD conduct a formal and thorough job search for the most experienced, accomplished candidate.

Assuming this will happen this year for next. Hopefully the team put together can do the research and make their selection without any outside "influence" as we saw during the last search...
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Interim does not equal permanent. I’m hoping McCarthy has been elevated for continuity and management of the team during the off season. If he is in the mix during the search, more power too him. At least it will be as a result of a proper search.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Skyhawkct wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:13 pm Interim does not equal permanent. I’m hoping McCarthy has been elevated for continuity and management of the team during the off season. If he is in the mix during the search, more power too him. At least it will be as a result of a proper search.
Absolutely, Sky. I couldn't agree more.

He is a good coach and has been part iof our recruiting - making him interim makes the most sense. But we need to conduct a full National search and pick the best candidate available.

Based on the wording of the press release it looks like CCSU is going cheap and might not conduct a search right now, just like when the AD left. This definitely needs more clarification and explanation from the current AD and President.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Looks like WR Joey Fields (Graduate Transfer) might follow Ross to Rutgers.

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/central ... om-rutgers
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

Upon reviewing the above document, it appears that this may not have simply been a case of a head coach finding a better gig. Instead, this looks more like the administration deciding that changes were needed for a once again stagnating football program. After the season ended, I think the decision was made to move ahead with Rossexit. My analysis is based on the following.

The prevailing wisdom was that last year Coach Ross was in the 5th year of a 5 year contract. Although there was some speculation here that he may have been offered a one-year extension, nothing was formally announced.

If we had noticed the lack of chatter regarding the recruiting season, clearly those at the top would have also.

As J.J. has pointed out, the Rutgers position is not that much of step up.

And finally, the wording of the release has all the structure and vocabulary of the classic “we will let everyone think this was your idea” announcement. This way everyone can save face.

The elevation of Coach McCarthy to Interim Head Coach makes perfect sense, as it gives President Toro and A.D. Brian Barrio the time needed to conduct a comprehensive search for a permanent replacement. This is especially important given the impact of a new state budget. And whatever recruiting is done during the Interregnum, the recruits would have a clear and honest picture of the State of the Program.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Shore - One correction, per the original CCSU press release announcing Coach Rossamando, he was given a 4-year initial contract (2014-2017).

(Donyell signed a 5-year deal when he was hired)

After the 2017 NEC Championship season, I am assuming he was given an unknown extension. However, after that season he began to test the job market and applied for the open Fordham job.

Bottom line, I think you may be right and his departure may have been initiated by the CCSU Administration. Remember, Coach Mac left with a year on his contract after he had a post-seaaon evaluation with the AD. The wording of Mac's departure was similar.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:51 pm Assuming this will happen this year for next. Hopefully the team put together can do the research and make their selection without any outside "influence" as we saw during the last search...
Ha ha ha So we went there.
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

And the circle is complete..
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

I'm not so sure this was done by the University. I have a feeling coach may have burned a bridge here...
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

“We are excited to officially welcome Tom Masella as our Defensive Coordinator.” Bryant University.
Of all the conferences in all the towns in all the world, he walks into ours.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Masella is a vagabond.

Wagner (2x), Boston U., UConn, UMass (2x), CCSU, Fordham, and now, Bryant.

He gets around the Northeast.