Mike Anthony: Ryan McCarthy’s appointment as interim coach gives Central Connecticut needed continuity

Its 3rd down and 4 whats your call coach?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mike Anthony: Ryan McCarthy’s appointment as interim coach gives Central Connecticut needed continuity

Post by J.J. »

Great journalism by Mike Anthony. He gives it to you straight - not always positive, but fair.

Yes, CCSU has a strange way of handling almost everything - I don't know if the lack of budgetary resources is the cause or result, but it is always a major factor.
Rossomando announced he was leaving on a Monday, Jan. 21, and there was a six- or seven-hour period that followed during which everyone associated with the program waited for direction. McCarthy was awarded the job over defensive coordinator Drew Crist, who has since left to join the staff at Ohio State, and that was the needed quick fix with national signing day less than two weeks away.

Central did not want a prolonged coaching search so far into the offseason. It wanted to get on, or keep on, with business as usual. That is responsible, and refreshing, because the university sure has a strange way of handling things at times.

Example 1: The 2016 search that led to Donyell Marshall being hired as men’s basketball coach was complicated in that Marshall wasn’t then-AD Paul Schlickmann’s choice. Schlickmann was overruled by university hierarchy.

Example 2: Schlickmann left to become AD at Fairfield in August 2017 and that position at Central was left vacant for an entire athletic year and nearly a full calendar year before Barrio was hired in July 2018.
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/h ... story.html
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mike Anthony: Ryan McCarthy’s appointment as interim coach gives Central Connecticut needed continuity

Post by J.J. »

Also, I'm certainly rooting very hard for McCarthy's (and the team's) success this season. Sounds like the kids wanted him and he's got the right perspective. But the bottom line for the new AD, is this is ultimately a business decision at some point and Coach McCarthy knows it.
If Central has even a decent season, and if players get the experience they’re looking for on and off the field, McCarthy should be allowed to wear that hat for some time. Players who remained part of, and/or joined, a recruiting class of 24 did so with the belief he will be the coach.

McCarthy will have that interim tag for at least one year, though, and the situation won’t officially be readdressed until December. There have been general conversations about the future between McCarthy and Barrio.

“We’re on the same page,” McCarthy said. “I believe that Brian is in my corner. I understand ultimately it will come down to wins and losses, but I feel strongly about how I’m viewed on campus and how I’m viewed in the athletic department.”
Said J’Von Brown, a preseason FCS All-American offensive lineman from Norwich: “We’ve been through the good and bad, and we’ve seen both sides. [Losing Rossomando] was rough at first, but I understand that’s the business and he had to do what was best for his family. I’m just glad we hired from within. Everybody wanted Coach Mac. We didn’t want an outside guy. We wanted to keep the same type of group."
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mike Anthony: Ryan McCarthy’s appointment as interim coach gives Central Connecticut needed continuity

Post by Larryl9797 »

“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

Man I want CCU FB to to some amazing things this year and not have a 2019 Hangover
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

We officially have another Coach "Mac"

Fire up! Can we still say that? lol
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

He was officially appointed head coach!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Central Connecticut State University Director of Athletics Brian Barrio has named Ryan McCarthy as the 14th head coach of the CCSU football program. McCarthy, who was named the interim head coach prior to the season, has guided the Blue Devils to a 5-1 record and a No. 25 ranking the STATS FCS Top 25 Poll to begin the 2019 season. As of Oct. 16, the interim tag has been removed.

A reception to officially make the announcement, along with a short speaking program, will be held in the Kaiser Hall lobby on Thursday, Oct. 17 at 3:30 p.m.

"It makes me very proud to announce Ryan McCarthy as the head coach of CCSU football," Barrio said. "Ryan is a respected coach and the team has flourished under his leadership this year. We look forward to the Blue Devils' continued success under his leadership."
http://ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball/ ... 1016h2ivdc
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Congrats, well deserved!
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

Some decisions are very difficult to make, but this was not one of them. Excellent choice!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

“Pressure is what you feel when you don’t know what you’re doing,” McCarthy said. “We know what we’re doing.”

I love it!