Week 7 @ Columbia

Its 3rd down and 4 whats your call coach?
Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Re: Week 7 @ Columbia

Post by Deltaguy1 »

Central Wins! CCCEEEENNNTTTTRRRAAALLLL wins!
newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite »

Awesome
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 * 2019
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

And UConn is possibly the worst FBS team in the country - we will only know when they play UMass in a "pillow fight" later this season.

UConn - 7
Tulane - 49

Connecticut 1-5 (0-3 AAC)
vs. Wagner - W, 24-2
vs. Illinois - L, 31-23
at Indiana - L, 38-3
at #22 UCF - L, 56-21
vs. South Florida - L, 48-22
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

This was a nice win!
Am I the only one who thought that Central should have won by a larger margin? It seemed like they were by far the better team. Well I guess it was another road win and you have got to be happy with that!
Anyway, they came through big time in the 4th Q. Great defense through out the game, and big plays on Offense.

Winchester is really a great QB!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Yes, we were clearly the better team by far. We had faster players and more size and talent at most positions.

Yeah, we didn't convert all our opportunities, we had a few untimely penalties, poor special teams gave the opponent good field position at times, and we were -2 in turnover margin.

However, overall we had a great game plan and executed. McCarthy is doing a very good job and Aaron is unflappable. Even though we didn't force any turnovers, our defense was stout against a mediocre offense.

We are 5-1 and will likely be ranked heading into homecoming. Much better than I had even hoped for this season - let's not have a let down next week!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

While we never lost the lead, I felt it was much too close. Defense was fantastic all game. O was good for a half and the final 3 minutes, for the entire second half, minus those few minutes they were non existent. Can’t have that. No rooms for let downs. This team needs to CRUSH the NEC and play for the championship on the last week.

Question, if we get top 25 this week and stay close all year, do we have to worry about winning the conference?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:29 pmQuestion, if we get top 25 this week and stay close all year, do we have to worry about winning the conference?
Absolutely! The only way we make the FCS Playoffs is winning the NEC AQ - just like basketball. Our league and our non-conference schedule is generally pretty weak. This season Duquesne did us no favors playing a 11-game schedule and losing big at Youngstown State and at New Hampshire in non-conference. If we lost the AQ to the Dukes and finish the year 10-2 (6-1 NEC) we will almost certainly be sitting at home.

And even if we win out (11-1,7-0 NEC), our ceiling before the playoffs is likely only a #15 ranking and a #30 computer ranking.

Too much football to be played to worry about any of that. Next up: Bryant - Homecoming
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Forgot, Columbia’s Head Coach was a CCSU grad.👍🏼
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

A bit of a not nice thing now. So Cole is 4 out of 10 field goals. 40% 😬.

Time to see the back up?

Granted he can hit the long ones, which I don’t think any CCSU kicker ever did but do we really want 40 percent in an fcs game?

Lastly, sorry, not sorry, anything less than an FCS win this year is a failure in my book. Time to stop thinking like a small loser football school.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

According to the announcers on ESPN+ Bagnoli is the winningest active HC in all of college FB.
I may have missed it, but I did not hear any mention on that broadcast that Bagnoli was a CCSU alum.
Seems like that is a tidbit that should be of interest to the viewers.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

hilltopper wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:46 am
According to the announcers on ESPN+ Bagnoli is the winningest active HC in all of college FB.
I may have missed it, but I did not hear any mention on that broadcast that Bagnoli was a CCSU alum.
Seems like that is a tidbit that should be of interest to the viewers.
It was at the very beginning of the broadcast when they were in their inflatable tunnel ..re-watching to hear the actual broadcast (nerd alert) can’t wait to see why that wasn’t a safety and not a personal foul when they took down Winchester 5 yards deep in the end zone.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:01 am A bit of a not nice thing now. So Cole is 4 out of 10 field goals. 40% 😬.

Time to see the back up?

Granted he can hit the long ones, which I don’t think any CCSU kicker ever did but do we really want 40 percent in an fcs game?

Lastly, sorry, not sorry, anything less than an FCS win this year is a failure in my book. Time to stop thinking like a small loser football school.
Special Teams is clearly the biggest weakness of this team. We need more points from the FG unit and need the punt team to gain the field position advantage.

Cole has a very strong leg, but is wildly inconsistent. Crazy to think, but he already has 2 game-winning FGs this season! Hard to be too critical about his performance, but clearly this is an area of concern. It hasn't cost us a game yet.

Punting is another obvious issue. Of course we remember the blocked one that did cost us a win, but we just aren't getting the distance or height needed on punts. Noticed that they've subbed in Cole a few times for Desaultels. Desaultis is a senior and had a very good Junior season, so I don't know what the issue is.

Kicking is just as much mental as physical. Both guys have to keep their head in the game, the season is riding on them as much as ever other player. Let's stay positive - it is all about the TEAM.

Finally, kickoff and punt coverage is not up to par. Certainly it is not a championship-level performance. Columbia had some very good returns. I'm most worried about this 3rd phase of the game. We need a lot of work on this if we want to play to our potential.