2020 Non-conference schedule

Its 3rd down and 4 whats your call coach?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2020 Non-conference schedule

Post by J.J. »

Football schedules this fall are a mess everywhere!

Rumor has it that the Ivy League is seriously considering cancelling all football games this fall and instead play a 7-game Ivy-only schedule next April. That would obviously mean that CCSU loses another game on the schedule (Oct. 10 at Columbia).
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... all-season

Princeton is schedule to play at Army on Oct. 10. Maybe the Blue Devils can head up the Hudson to play the Black Knights instead of the Lions? :)

Also, the Patriot League policy pushing back the start of the season and limited travel, has already had its first causality. Colgate had to cancel its game at Western Michigan. Stony Brook will play WMU instead.
https://fbschedules.com/western-michiga ... -covid-19/

More good news for CCSU fans? Maybe. Colgate is also schedule to play at Syracuse on Sep. 19. Now that is just a bus ride for them, so I doubt they cancel, but CCSU is looking for a game that day due to the Valpo cancellation.

If the CCSU is willing, I bet we might be able to find another FBS payday this year.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

With the news that the Ivy League is canceling all sports for Fall 2020, CCSU loses a third football game - Oct. 10 at Columbia. Good news is Princeton has to cancel their game at Army on the same date.

I propose a simple swap - Oct. 10 Central Connecticut vs. Army at West Point
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

From the e-mail just sent by the Yale Athletics Ticket Office:
“On July 8, the Council of Ivy Presidents announced that all athletic competitions for the fall 2020 semester have been cancelled due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Football season ticket holders: No offers or orders for the 2020 Yale football season have been processed and there is no required action from you at this time. Your 2019 seat and parking selections are on record and your status as a Yale football season ticket holder will be upheld until we can all meet again at the Yale Bowl.

Men's Ice Hockey, Men's & Women's Basketball season ticket holders: All competitions that would have occurred in the fall semester have been cancelled. More information will be sent at a later date regarding competition that may occur after January 1, 2021 for winter athletic competitions.

Men's Lacrosse season ticket holders: At this time, we are not certain how future semesters will be impacted by the pandemic. More information will be released at a later date with regard to spring athletic competitions.”
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

J.J. wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:13 pm With the news that the Ivy League is canceling all sports for Fall 2020, CCSU loses a third football game - Oct. 10 at Columbia. Good news is Princeton has to cancel their game at Army on the same date.

That would be awesome, hopefully fans would be allowed because if you haven't been to a game there, I highly suggest you attend one. Great experience.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

it does appear to be a natural swap. Army gets a replacement FCS opponent and Central gets a FBS pay day.
So it makes sense, which should immediately send up a red flag,
Things that make sense usually don't happen :shock:
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Big Ten will play a 10-game conference-only schedule for football in 2020.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ports-fall

UConn loses 2 games, which might also open up an opportunity for a CCSU-UConn game this year.

9/12 - UConn at Illinois
9/26 - Indiana at UConn

If the ACC does the same, UConn will lose 2 more games:

9/19 - UConn at Virginia
11/7 - UConn at North Carolina

While I think Independence was a good long-term move for UConn, they are certainly going to be playing the price in 2020 - if there is a season.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

As you guys know, these are (probably) pay day games. At least every one except Indiana.

From Merrimack to Ohio State, these SID’s must be pulling their hair out trying to come up with some kind of season.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Here we go, wording to me says this is the first delay before they cancel.

https://northeastconference.org/news/20 ... EC_20.aspx
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:05 pm Here we go, wording to me says this is the first delay before they cancel.

https://northeastconference.org/news/20 ... EC_20.aspx
Agreed. Good first step, but we still have almost 2 months before school/sports start, so I agree that we should continue to monitor the situation closely.

But this policy forces another change to the CCSU football schedule:

Wagner at CCSU scheduled for Sep. 5 (Week 1) will have to be rescheduled for later in the season.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

What does 5 days do? Can’t imagine they are using that extra five days for anything, just a first step to delay them canceling how I see it. Hopefully using this time for good and presenting a solid plan to put students on the field and fans in the stands. Saw one conference only playing within their conference, fine add some games, constantly test the kids and have temp checks before fans enter the stands.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Hearing that NEC schedules are being revised and we'll see some updates online soon.

I'm personally skeptical that we actually have a full season this fall, but I give the NEC and everyone credit for trying to make this work. I just don't think anyone (especially CCSU) has the budget for constantly testing kids. At $100 a test, it just isn't realistic to expect that CCSU to do that for a 80 player team. If the only way we can play sports safely is with that kind of monitoring, I would imagine the CCSU, the NEC, and the NCAA will just cancel the season. We can't test football players more than we test school teachers, police officers, etc. Just not realistic

I'm hoping they allow fans at game with the proper social distancing - but who knows what that will look like. CCSU is bound by State regulations, so let's see what the Governor directs over the next 2 months. I can tell you that I don't recommend temperature checks by CCSU or anyone - its just not effective indicator of anything related to COVID-19.

However, if the season is played, I think we might have a few interesting non-conference games. :)
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:27 am
J.J. wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:13 pm With the news that the Ivy League is canceling all sports for Fall 2020, CCSU loses a third football game - Oct. 10 at Columbia. Good news is Princeton has to cancel their game at Army on the same date.

That would be awesome, hopefully fans would be allowed because if you haven't been to a game there, I highly suggest you attend one. Great experience.
I agree. I've been to West Point for a game and it was great. The scenery and pageantry is fantastic. Fall football on the Hudson and an Army march on is something that real college football fans should experience.

As much as I like the idea of this game, I just don't think it will happen. VMI has already been rumored as the replacement, and the triple-option, cut blocking style of the Black Knights isn't something that a lot of programs want to face. I have a feeling CCSU just isn't interested in this game.

I like any CCSU-Army matchups, so we'll just have to settle for some other sports. Men's soccer is schedule to host Army this year (Sep. 12) on the CCSU pitch, so we can probably look forward to a return game at West Point next year.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Now Trinity cancels fall sports and the guy on tv was saying how winter sports will be such a challenge. It’s only a matter of time. 🤦🏻‍♂️
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I'm skeptical that we will even have a 2020 football season, but if we can make it happen, I like the idea of a 9-game schedule (6 NEC + 3 non-conf)

Non-Conference
@ UConn - FBS $$$ + bus ride
@ UMass or Boston College - FBS $$$ + bus ride
vs. Merrimack or URI or UNH - but we need a home game*

NEC
vs. Wagner
vs. LIU
vs. Duquesne
at Saint Francis - the only overnight trip required
at Bryant
at Sacred Heart

Basically every NEC team will have 1 overnight game at SFU or DUQ - the remainder of the games should be pushed to a later start times to allow for same day travel

* We are scheduled to play at MC, but we need a home game. URI lost a home game vs. Brown; UNH lost an away game vs Colgate.