Carol Hall, Charter Oak, and Manafort Sr Garage.

newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Carol Hall, Charter Oak, and Manafort Sr Garage.

Post by newbritainite »

I heard that Carol Hall will not be returning to a residence hall due to the need for office space.

Additionally, the Manafort Sr. garage site is prepped and the pre-casting sections are coming shortly. A pedestrian bridge will connect Willard- DiLoreto Complex over Manafort Sr. Drive.

Lastly, I also heard that the Charter Oak building will become an Admissions House and Welcome Center.

The pieces of the puzzle are falling into place.
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 * 2019
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Carol Hall, Charter Oak, and Manafort Sr Garage.

Post by hilltopper »

To where is Charter Oak moving? Downtown?
is anyone old enough to remember when we had a city street going through the center of campus?
Sure a few students got runned over, but we were tough back then...pedestrian bridge, ha! =D>
ctbludevil
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by ctbludevil »

Was there when the campus was bisected by the main drag. New saw an accident but was hard getting through the intersections with all the foot traffic
Palm Beach Florida
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

"is anyone old enough to remember when we had a city street going through the center of campus?" hilltopper.

That would be Wells Street. And yes, you did have to dodge the traffic to get to the Student Center and order the specialty sandwich, which was known as the Blue Boy. It was comprised of two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a seseme seed bun.
newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite »

For any newbies....

I wasn’t around for the active Wells Street, but it ran from the art building from Stanley St to East Hall ( past student center and between library and Copernicus. Some of the street remained in circa 1999... Telephone poles remained. There was a curvy paved path that replaces the somewhat removed Wells St from Welte to bottom of Copernicus. The whole area in front of the student center to memorial hall was raised feet higher. There were many stairs from the north entrance of Copernicus to the road, which are gone because the road area was elevated. This was all part of the the energy tunnel project kind of when the student center was renovated or after in Spring of 2002- fall of 2003. Note: CCSU men’s basketball was awesome at this time! :p

In my opinion, it was a game changing project that changed the face of CCSU!
CCSU Class of 2004
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!
newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite »

hilltopper wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:34 pm To where is Charter Oak moving? Downtown?
is anyone old enough to remember when we had a city street going through the center of campus?
Sure a few students got runned over, but we were tough back then...pedestrian bridge, ha! =D>
I heard Charter Oak is moving downtown. Good place for it. On another note, Charter Oak should become part of CCSU.
CCSU Class of 2004
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

I heard Charter Oak is moving downtown. Good place for it. On another note, Charter Oak should become part of CCSU.
That would be really a really good thing! and that is why the state university system will never do it.
Anyway we got another building out of the deal.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Not only do I remember Wells Street, but I remember the old “East Hall” which was a pathetic barracks like structure, located where the Vance Academic Center is now that burned to the ground in the early 70’s. The fire was the most exciting thing that happen on campus in years.

The much improved center promenade is actually a small part of an overall project which consists of underground walkways and energy/maintenance conduits that link all the buildings together.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

As a freshman at orientation, I was welcomed to the college by President Welte, who introduced himself and shook my hand.