Sharks on Ice

This forum is to discuss the buzz on our peer and up-level conferences.
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Sharks on Ice

Post by Shoreline »

From today’s NH Register:
“Kyle Wallack, men’s hockey coach at Albertus Magnus, has emerged as a candidate at Long Island University, sources told Hearst Connecticut Media. Last month LIU announced plans to field a varsity hockey team, which will compete as a Division I independent starting this fall. The school, which is interviewing other candidates as well, is expected to name a coach by the end of the month.”

From the LIU website:
https://www.liuathletics.com/news/2020/ ... ockey.aspx

So LIU plans to have a D-I Ice Hockey team in place by this fall, so far with no coach, no players, and no schedule. It will be interesting to see how they pull this one off.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Sharks on Ice

Post by Skyhawkct »

Seems like an odd time to add a sport when we don’t even know if on campus classes will be in session.

Furthermore, where will they play? I see they have a woman’s team but I cannot find an area associated with them.

I doubt they would play at the Barclays Center because it would cost them a fortune. 🤔
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

“Seems like an odd time to add a sport when we don’t even know if on campus classes will be in session.” Skyhawkct
Absolutely Sky. I have a tough time thinking this will happen in fall.

According to the Lady Shark schedule, they practice at the NY Islander facility in Syosset:
https://www.nhl.com/islanders/iceworks/about-us

The Ladies did play a very respectable schedule last year including two games against #1 Wisconsin, one of which was at the Nassau Coliseum. The also played against Yale @ Ingalls and additional games with Sacred Heart and UCONN.
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

From Chip Malafronte’s column in today’s NH Register:
“Albertus Magnus men’s hockey coach Kyle Wallack withdrew his name from consideration at Long Island University, a new program which plans to compete at the Division I level this fall.
The school contacted Wallack last month about the job because of his extensive experience as a Division I assistant. He also understood how to build a hockey program from scratch, having been hired at Albertus two years ago to start its Division III team.
Wallack interviewed with LIU administrators multiple times since April, but informed them on Friday he planned to remain at Albertus.
“A Division I opportunity came up, which is unique. There are only 61 head coaching jobs at that level,” Wallack said. “I was flattered. For me and my family, I love the direction we’re taking, and the situation here is too good. I’m excited about the future of Albertus Magnus hockey.”
Wallack has over 20 years of experience as an assistant. He was Rand Pecknold’s top assistant in the early 2000s, instrumental in Quinnipiac’s transition to Division I hockey. He also coached at UConn, Holy Cross and Yale, where he recruited the majority of players that won the 2013 national championship.
He’d most recently been at Vermont before being hired to start the new program at Albertus, which finished its inaugural varsity season in February.”

Some key statements:
“Wallack interviewed with LIU administrators multiple times since April.”
“There are only 61 head coaching jobs at that (D1) level,”
And still he turns the job down? Maybe he read this thread and decided LIU’s plans may be overly ambitious for our time.
Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 »

Good Luck, Sharks!

In a different world, with plenty of money and no virus with which to contend, I would have said that CCSU needs to add men's and women's ice hockey. That seems to be the "in sport", behind basketball and football, even though soccer is really doing well, in general.

So, let's hope in the near/distant future, we can be skating with/against Yale, Q, Uconn and SHU.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Would definitely be cool to see us play some hockey. By far the sport I know the least about, well maybe that’s soccer or lacrosse lol, I digress, would be cool to see some CCSU hockey!
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Me 2 but we are flat broke. Especially now as enrollment has dropped and the university is reimbursing students.

Also, we recently dropped two sports so I’m sure there is no way we’ll see moving up in Ice Hockey.

To paraphrase our previous sentence said to me “If you think I’m going to build a new area when we have pigeons living in the ceilings of some of our buildings, you’re crazy”.
Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 »

Thanks all. As I said, "In a different world, with plenty of money and no virus with which to contend..."

And, by all means, golf would have to return. Who's got that $300 Million lottery ticket??
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Ice Hockey!
Forget about it. I think the question is, can we keep what we have?
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

hilltopper wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:13 pm Ice Hockey!
Forget about it. I think the question is, can we keep what we have?
I always answer this by asking what else makes as much money as men’s football and basketball? I’d imagine those two would be the safest. Just look at the Miami payday: keep getting better and those dollars go up.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Hoops, I’m not so sure that football makes any money at all. Don’t get me wrong, you may well be correct but Dr. Miller told me directly that these pay day games are so football doesn’t bust the budget and merely allows football to break even. But yes, this program probably makes the most $$ and is safe.

It’s my understanding that most college football programs, including lower profile FBS programs like EMU and Umass actually lose money...UMass for sure. I wouldn’t be surprised if the EE is losing $$ in football.

Basketball is a much less expensive sport to operate obviously but without asses in the seats, they are probably losing money as well. They may make money if they can get 2-3 thousand each game and of course they get a nice hunk of change if they make the NCAA’s but we know how that story is playing out. Every college athletic department has m/w BB so I’m sure that’s safe as well.

Ice hockey, I’m assuming, is an expensive sport to operate especially with the cost of ice time as I don’t see the “Ice Devil Arena” being build anytime soon.

There was talk of Athletics tapping into the CCSU foundation which would piss me off because I have a legacy scholarship set up under my name for academics and I had to put a clause in that it was for academics only. If I want to give to athletics, I will but they shouldn’t be touching the CCSU foundation which, by the way, is well funded.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

hmmm....Blue Devils on ice!
Does that mean we will get an ice hockey team when hell freezes over?