Jake released by the Pats

Its 3rd down and 4 whats your call coach?
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Jake released by the Pats

Post by hilltopper »

Jake Dolegala was released from the Patriots practice squad on Oct 12.
Don't know if any other team is interested. Seems a shame that other than appearances in two exhibition games for the Bengals he has not even had a chance.
https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots- ... legala-fro
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Jake released by the Pats

Post by Skyhawkct »

hilltopper wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:34 pm Jake Dolegala was released from the Patriots practice squad on Oct 12.
Don't know if any other team is interested. Seems a shame that other than appearances in two exhibition games for the Bengals he has not even had a chance.
https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots- ... legala-fro
That is indeed disappointing. With the QB questions going on now with the Pats I was hoping against hope that he might be elevated. I know it was a long shot but I was still hoping.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

They resigned him, just money shuffling...
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

They resigned him, just money shuffling...
I must say I was surprised at Jake being released but I guess that explains it.
Hoyer and Stedman "know" the offensive system but what does that matter? They both are terrible! Seriously Jake should be given a shot as the back up QB. What is there to lose? Nothing. If Newton gets hurt they are not going to win anything with either Stedman or Hoyer.
Well, he is there for a reason. Belichick does not waste a valuable practice squad spot.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Joe Burrow out for the rest of the season.
I would speculate that the Bengals are going to grab Jake off of the Pats practice squad. They know him and he knows their system.
If the Pats are serious about Jake it is time to put him on the roster. Of course that would mean releasing either Stedman or Hoyer, so I don't know how likely that is since we don't know what is their real evaluation of Jake's abilities.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

hilltopper wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 pm Joe Burrow out for the rest of the season.
I would speculate that the Bengals are going to grab Jake off of the Pats practice squad. They know him and he knows their system.
If the Pats are serious about Jake it is time to put him on the roster. Of course that would mean releasing either Stedman or Hoyer, so I don't know how likely that is since we don't know what is their real evaluation of Jake's abilities.
I think it's possible Cincy picks up Jake, as he is unprotected on the Pats practice squad. I also doubt the Pats protect him by moving him up to the 53-man roster.

I still question why the Bengals released Jake to begin with. Every observer knew Finley wasn't going to be a viable replacement for Burrow. Not sure if Jake is the solution, but he is worth a try for sure.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

I still question why the Bengals released Jake to begin with. Every observer knew Finley wasn't going to be a viable replacement for Burrow. Not sure if Jake is the solution, but he is worth a try for sure.
I remember at the time that at least one Bengal beat writer expressed the opinion that Jake looked like the the best QB on the roster, better than either Finley or Dalton.

I am a Pats fan and I want Jake on the Pats 53 roster not because he is a Central alum, but rather because I think he has the tools and of course, both Hoyer and Stedman stink! and so does Newton! He is a terrible passer. Newton is decent when throwing mid range and long range ropes but is awful in short range passing, passing to backs, or throwing with touch. He does not have the feel to lead the back or throw with a sense of touch. Sunday's game against Houston was winnable but Newton could not hit his open backs in the flat. There were at least 4 plays in the last quarter where he just could not throw a touch pass to a wide receiver in the flat, who had plenty of running room. Two passes to Harry were at toe level and several to White were behind him or over his head.
A good QB would hit them in stride for a good gain. Instead the drives ended in punts.

Why not give Jake a chance? I think he has a big upside with little risk. I really believe that Jake would win more games if was given the chance than any of three Pats QB"S presently on the roster. And that's not a high bar because If he doesn't pan out then you can devote the off season to getting a QB.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

As a JETS fan, I personally would love to see Jake in any uniform but the Patriots 😁

I think everyone sees he's got the size and tools to play in the NFL. Biggest issue with a young QB like him, is making the reads and the speed of the game. I think all CCSU fans would like to see him given a chance when it matters. His preseason results last season give a lot of fans and media wanting to see it action.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Would it have killed the author to actually name the school? Instead of saying "small school"? To quote Rodney, no respect!
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

ccsuhoops wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:06 pm Would it have killed the author to actually name the school? Instead of saying "small school"? To quote Rodney, no respect!
Totally agree. And may i add that I absolutely detest the term “small school” when it comes to Athletics. CCSU may not be a “large” school compared to some of Power 5 Conference schools but it’s far from small. In fact we are on par with Wake Forest and Norte Dame when it comes to student population.

I would prefer the term “lower profile” or in the case of football, the term “FCS school” could be used
Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 »

I don't know what this really means, but in today's New Britain Herald newspaper, Jake has been reported as "signed" by the Patriots. It's listed under "Transactions".
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Just did a quick search on Yahoo news. It just means that he and nine others signed contracts to stay on the practice squad for the next season.

It would sure be nice to see what he could do for the team but that seems unlikely.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

I think Jake is going to get a serious look in the upcoming preseason (if there is a normal preseason). Belichick has already stated earlier this year that he was impressed with Jake. Remember, when he was in Cincinnati several beat reporters thought that Jake was the best of the three QB's both in practice and in his short but impressive exhibitions. This is simply a case of "how could an undrafted free agent actually be an NFL caliber QB?" and organizations giving the benefit of the doubt to high draft picks.
Anyway, the HC of the Pats is going to decide on Jake one way or the other, and I would expect that he will be objective and make his decision on what potential he sees.
Of course this complicated by the possibility that the Pats, who have a mid first round pick, will use that on a QB as this year seems to be a bumper crop. I think the Alabama QB will be available to the Pats if they want him. He is probably not an upper first round candidate yet he has some impressive stats, especially in the all important accuracy category.

Anyway, I think that Jake will get a chance to show what he can do, and will probably see some action in the exhibition games.