J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Big Board!

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 pm
J.J. wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:44 pm Breaking news from The Recorder:

https://centralrecorder.org/77120/sport ... -for-ccsu/
Let's not ignore how great it is that Tom values the school newspaper enough to give Ryan this scoop, rather than the Courant or another paper.

Pincince just continues to get it right. Which is why I'm so confident in his ability to get this done.
Agreed. After we get this MBB thing done, the next thing Toro needs to do is remove the interim tag and make Tom the AD. He is the right person for the job and we have been operating too long like this. We need a full AD staff and not everyone wearing multiple hats.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Embrace your community, make it stronger.... Me likes....
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 pm
J.J. wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:44 pm Breaking news from The Recorder:

https://centralrecorder.org/77120/sport ... -for-ccsu/
Let's not ignore how great it is that Tom values the school newspaper enough to give Ryan this scoop, rather than the Courant or another paper.

Pincince just continues to get it right. Which is why I'm so confident in his ability to get this done.
Agreed. Annoying he still has the interim tag.

So much for nobody wanting this job, lol. 80 applications!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:18 am Agreed. Annoying he still has the interim tag.

That's actually pretty light.

I've heard that Bowdoin (D3), which just opened, is expecting 500+ applicants. People behind the scenes have expressed to me that they are shocked a D1 opening didn't have AT LEAST 200 applicants.

With that said- the fact that there are HIGHLY successful and experienced applicants is a major thing. We didn't have that 5 years ago. A few of the names I've heard would be difficult to turn down. A young up-and-coming assistant is unlikely to get this job.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Yikes. In that case, I recant 😳 😞

I would agree, this is going to either Pat or someone with d-1 hc success. It’s kinda killing me, want this done and that person working hard for next season to build his inner team already. Fall time comes quick.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

good that a young up and coming coach more than likely won't be the choice... You need somebody to stick around and build a foundation... Hurley types never stick around at the lower D1 level... They use these schools to build their resume and then they're gone in about 3 years...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:26 pm Yikes. In that case, I recant 😳 😞

I would agree, this is going to either Pat or someone with d-1 hc success. It’s kinda killing me, want this done and that person working hard for next season to build his inner team already. Fall time comes quick.
Like I've said a million times, Pat Sellers may very well be the best man for the job. But how do you say no to someone like Dave Paulsen, who brought Bucknell to the NCAA Tournament 2x in a 6 year period and finished 72-32 in conference play, and had a solid if not spectacular run at George Mason?

Sure, Bucknell was great before him and has been really good since. But George Mason was a mess after Paul Hewitt failed bringing them from the CAA to the A10. He didn't get them to the NCAA Tournament, but they finished .500 or above in A-10 play 4x in 6 seasons. GMU is NOT one of the better jobs in that league- they got to the A10 because of that improbable Final 4 run, but they have a below average budget/facilities, and not much tradition at that level. The expectations are outsized with what that job actually is.

I'll support whoever Tom picks for this job, but the more I look at this, the more I don't think this is Pat Sellers' job to lose. Paulsen, Will Brown, Jim Ferry, Steve Curran- man those are some experienced/successful coaches.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ktuck911 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:53 pm good that a young up and coming coach more than likely won't be the choice... You need somebody to stick around and build a foundation... Hurley types never stick around at the lower D1 level... They use these schools to build their resume and then they're gone in about 3 years...
I'd be fine with that.

Let a coach build something, win, leave, then hire his associate HC.

That's exactly what Bryant likely would have done if Grasso took Fordham or Hofstra- Phil Martelli Jr. probably would have been the guy, and they would likely have continued their success.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:02 pm
ktuck911 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:53 pm good that a young up and coming coach more than likely won't be the choice... You need somebody to stick around and build a foundation... Hurley types never stick around at the lower D1 level... They use these schools to build their resume and then they're gone in about 3 years...
I'd be fine with that.

Let a coach build something, win, leave, then hire his associate HC.

That's exactly what Bryant likely would have done if Grasso took Fordham or Hofstra- Phil Martelli Jr. probably would have been the guy, and they would likely have continued their success.
That’s the one thing I don’t want, flashy young guy looking at this as a two year stepping stone, bringing his prized picks elsewhere. We need someone to stick around and build something like has been said before.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:00 pm
ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:26 pm Yikes. In that case, I recant 😳 😞

Like I've said a million times, Pat Sellers may very well be the best man for the job. But how do you say no to someone like Dave Paulsen, who brought Bucknell to the NCAA Tournament 2x in a 6 year period and finished 72-32 in conference play, and had a solid if not spectacular run at George Mason?

Sure, Bucknell was great before him and has been really good since. But George Mason was a mess after Paul Hewitt failed bringing them from the CAA to the A10. He didn't get them to the NCAA Tournament, but they finished .500 or above in A-10 play 4x in 6 seasons. GMU is NOT one of the better jobs in that league- they got to the A10 because of that improbable Final 4 run, but they have a below average budget/facilities, and not much tradition at that level. The expectations are outsized with what that job actually is.

I'll support whoever Tom picks for this job, but the more I look at this, the more I don't think this is Pat Sellers' job to lose. Paulsen, Will Brown, Jim Ferry, Steve Curran- man those are some experienced/successful coaches.
great point about Paulsen... For this situation, sounds like a solid fit.... BUT is he truly interested?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ktuck911 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:42 pm
great point about Paulsen... For this situation, sounds like a solid fit.... BUT is he truly interested?
I've heard through the grapevine that he is VERY interested, but I can't confirm it.

It would be a massive decrease in pay and GMU is still paying him. I could see him bowing out once he digs a bit more. But who knows.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

I have no problem with a Hurley type situation where the HC leaves after a few years for school that plays in a major conference.
If that happens that means that he has to have had an impressive stay with Central, maybe a couple of 20+ win seasons.
I will take that!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:36 am
ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:18 am Agreed. Annoying he still has the interim tag.

That's actually pretty light.

I've heard that Bowdoin (D3), which just opened, is expecting 500+ applicants. People behind the scenes have expressed to me that they are shocked a D1 opening didn't have AT LEAST 200 applicants.

With that said- the fact that there are HIGHLY successful and experienced applicants is a major thing. We didn't have that 5 years ago. A few of the names I've heard would be difficult to turn down. A young up-and-coming assistant is unlikely to get this job.
Please, I could care less that that had 500 candidates and I think that shows that anybody thinks they are qualified and posted a resume. How many (and how well qualified) were the applicants for the Fordham or Hofstra jobs? That's a better barometer.

You need to get down to a manageable list of no more than 10 people who are eminently qualified anyway, so I'm good with the 80 or so we had.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:06 pm
ktuck911 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:42 pm
I've heard through the grapevine that he is VERY interested, but I can't confirm it.

It would be a massive decrease in pay and GMU is still paying him. I could see him bowing out once he digs a bit more. But who knows.
I think CCSU is a great job, but obviously I'm biased. And I have to admit we have serious image and budget issues. They aren't fatal flaws, but it puts this job clearly in the lower tier of D-I.

Seriously though, I'm not sure how we attract an experienced D-I head coach like a Paulson or Brown. CCSU's commitment to athletics is not on par with Bucknell, George Mason, or Albany. I hate to admit that, but that's the truth. I think you were 100% right when you said limited resources put us at a disadvantage.

Now, I don't think those disadvantages and small budget make it hard to win here - that's were we might disagree. A good coach can come to New Britain and compete for NEC Championships in Year 1. This is not a "no win" situation like jobs at Fordham, LaSalle, or New Hampshire.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:48 pm Now, I don't think those disadvantages and small budget make it hard to win here - that's were we might disagree. A good coach can come to New Britain and compete for NEC Championships in Year 1. This is not a "no win" situation like jobs at Fordham, LaSalle, or New Hampshire.
I've never suggested someone CAN'T win here. But I am on record as saying it's more difficult to win here than many other programs.

And my primary point has been that, because of that, they can't just hire someone who will be traditional/conservative/old-school, whatever you want to call it. CCSU absolutely needs someone who can perform well AT THE MARGINS in recruiting, development, and in-game tactics.

If you have top-tier budget and facilities within a league, it's easier to go get the best players and put a competitive team on the floor. But in this situation you have to be able to do less with more. That's why I've been so heavy on analytics/progressive tactics. Who is going to utilize analytics to put together the best lineups and design game plans around getting high percentage shots (and limiting those shots on the defensive end), as well as for developmental purposes? Who is going to use "unconventional tactics" that have gained steam in recent years (in the NBA, college, and Europe). What about progressive play designs (offense and defense) or unique styles? Who can find diamonds in the rough who will fit their style of play, whether their from a prep school, high school, JUCO, D2, D3?

It sounds like Tom Pincince is not at all focused on this stuff, but I hope he's at least CONSIDERING it.

I just don't believe you can bring in someone who "coaches they way they've always coached" and win here. Straight-up man-to-man defense like they did in 1995, mid-range jumpers, go find the "best" players they can find and have them take 500 jump shots every day, blanket sitting guys with 2 fouls in the 1st half, using post-ups as a significant part of your offense, over helping on defense. You can do that stuff at LIU and the Mount and generally be .500 with a shot to win a title every few years because they're able to recruit at a higher level. You just cannot do it at CCSU with a tiny budget and out-dated facilities.

You're right, J.J.- a good coach can absolutely come here and compete for NEC Championships. And imo, a "good" coach is someone who is progressive and learning new things every day with a commitment and willingness to listen to smart people of all backgrounds.

Go find these prospective coaches on Twitter and see who they're following. You'll see some following a high number of high-level hoops sites and/or people. And you'll find some not following any of them. You'll find some going on podcasts and talking hoops at a high level. And you'll find some who aren't. To me, that's telling. If I were interviewing, I'd 100% ask coaches if they are familiar with Hoop Vision or Shot Quality or Slapping Glass or Chris Oliver, or dozens of other sites/people out there. And if they aren't, I'd thank them for coming in and cross them off my list.