Recruiting under Sellers off to a good start...

Lets talk some Hoops!
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Recruiting under Sellers off to a good start...

Post by ktuck911 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:36 pm Central offered Blaise Vespe, a 6'7" 215 lb. stretch-forward out of Philly. Had offers from FDU and IUPUI back in 2020. It appears most schools are looking at him as a 2022 product. Maybe we get him in a year early.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/blaise-vespe
saw that... would be a nice pick up getting him for this coming Fall
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Over at my site I've had a running list of the top NEC newcomers, which is dominated by incoming transfers.

https://www.themidrangejumper.com/singl ... -newcomers

I've updated this week to include Hegel Augstin at #7. TLDR; I think he has the opportunity to be a high usage player for the Blue Devils (no player on the current roster had a usage rate > 20% last season), and because of his ability to defend/rebound will see significant minutes. Could end up being the team's leading scorer.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:36 pm Central offered Blaise Vespe, a 6'7" 215 lb. stretch-forward out of Philly. Had offers from FDU and IUPUI back in 2020. It appears most schools are looking at him as a 2022 product. Maybe we get him in a year early.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/blaise-vespe
Sellers just offered 6'3" wing Trenton McLaughlin out of Chandler, AZ.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/trenton-mclaughlin

Odd to me that he'd be looking at another wing. McLaughlin is a shooter, and Sellers clearly values shot making, but I would have thought he'd turn his attention toward size (and perhaps the Portal).

I can't help but wonder if Davonte Sweatman is a walk-on? Sweatman doesn't even have a profile over at NewEnglandRecruitingReport.com. NERR ranked the top 75 2021 prospects in Massachusetts, which includes a bunch of D3 commits. If that's the case, looking at other 2021 wings makes more sense.

EDIT: The CCSU release announcing the first 4 signings is pretty clear that Ostrowsky is a walk-on. That leads me to believe that Sweatman is a scholarship player.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Odd to me that he'd be looking at another wing. McLaughlin is a shooter, and Sellers clearly values shot making, but I would have thought he'd turn his attention toward size (and perhaps the Portal).
Yes, one would think that the focus would be on getting a couple of bigs. The only reason I can think of, is that Pat really likes this guy and is thinking of this player for beyond next season.
We can read into this, Pat likes depth with his shooting guards.
There is still room for some Forwards.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Loos like he wants to run and gun, which is fine, because I believe he’s big on defense as well. We’ve seen run and gun ccsu teams implode due to lack of defense. We’re gonna be ok…
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Looks like we just inked Jayden Brown. 6’8” from Tilton School, Providence RI???
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:03 pm Looks like we just inked Jayden Brown. 6’8” from Tilton School, Providence RI???
I can't find much info on him, to be honest. Sounds like he was a big(ger) prospect early on, putting up numbers as an 8th grader on HS Varsity in Providence.

Put up big numbers at Tilton School, which is a very good prep program in NH. But he's not mentioned much on social media and doesn't have a profile on Verbal Commits.

It's tough for me to get overly excited about a senior with no offers in June, but maybe Sellers and staff can develop him. Can't teach size.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:44 pm
I can't find much info on him, to be honest. Sounds like he was a big(ger) prospect early on, putting up numbers as an 8th grader on HS Varsity in Providence.

Put up big numbers at Tilton School, which is a very good prep program in NH. But he's not mentioned much on social media and doesn't have a profile on Verbal Commits.

It's tough for me to get overly excited about a senior with no offers in June, but maybe Sellers and staff can develop him. Can't teach size.
Adam Finkelstein says Brown is a "skilled, mismatch big who can play inside-out". I like the sounds of that.

https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/sta ... 68769?s=20
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Sounds like coach is excited for him to come and expects big things. IMHO, Pat has been at much bigger and way better programs than anything the NEC has to offer. His eye for talent must be better simply because of that fact.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Jayden Brown (2021) 6’9 forward, Tilton School (NH) - a long, athletic, skilled, smooth frontcourt player. Blocks shots, rebounds and great stroke.
http://www.recruitthebronx.com/index.ph ... tails/5405
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

With tomorrow being the last day of the free for all transfer portal stuff, any chance CCSU grabs anymore players out there? I know Nathan Scott (NIU) was mentioned in another thread... Anything else going on?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ktuck911 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:24 pm With tomorrow being the last day of the free for all transfer portal stuff, any chance CCSU grabs anymore players out there? I know Nathan Scott (NIU) was mentioned in another thread... Anything else going on?
What do you mean that tomorrow is the last day?
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

6/30/21 is the transfer portal's last day where kids that are in it can take advantage of the one time COVID eligibility rule. They basic get the opportunity for one more crack at playing (when more than likely they would normally have exhausted their eligibility after this past season). There's even more to it than that. Bottom line is there are less hoops to go thru by committing before today ends.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ktuck911 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:22 am 6/30/21 is the transfer portal's last day where kids that are in it can take advantage of the one time COVID eligibility rule. They basic get the opportunity for one more crack at playing (when more than likely they would normally have exhausted their eligibility after this past season). There's even more to it than that. Bottom line is there are less hoops to go thru by committing before today ends.
Right. I thought you meant they had to have players committed by 6/30.

I think Pat Sellers will be looking for Portal guys into July. 1 or 2, I'd guess.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

hilltopper wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:49 pm Update on the 2021-2022 MBB roster (as per Verbal Commits):

PG Ostrowsky (walk on) - Freshman
PG Sweatman - Freshman
PG Newkirk - Junior
PG Scantlebury - Junior
PG Tre Mitchell (?) -Junior
SG Krishnan -Junior
SG Augustin -Senior
SF Snoddy - Freshman
PF Ayangama -Senior
C Ola -Sophomore

That is 9 scholarships (assuming Ayangama and Mitchell return). With 4 to go I would think that we are going to see
some PF's coming in, at least two, maybe more.
Looks like Trenton McLaughlin committed. I’ve seen him listed anywhere from 6’3” to 6’6”. Looks like a SG-SF type of player. I assume he’s a shooter. Had an offer from Northern AZ too.