Welcome home Pat Sellers!

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Welcome home Pat Sellers!

Post by ccsuhoops »

hilltopper wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:29 am
Maybe the State of CT needs to finally do what is probably overdue... Cutting ties with some of the Administrative lifers.
Now that is a really good idea. That is why we have assembled a committee to assess the feasibility of such an effort. Their report when finished will be filed in triplicate sets of quadruplicate copies and submitted hither to hence forth for which, to the Red Tape Department for review.
Don’t forget your TPS report 😝
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I heard last week that Baba Diallo would not be returning to the CCSU bench, as he had another opportunity he just couldn't pass up.**

The website is now updated to reflect that. So Sellers is starting from scratch in finding a staff. https://ccsubluedevils.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/index

**This is definitely not a personal thing. Sellers and Diallo worked together under Dave Leitao at DePaul and became very close.

EDIT: There are now two postings for Assistant Coaches on Indeed. One for an Assistant Coach II, one for Assistant Coach I. I'd imagine there will be a 3rd. I'm hopeful we'll see one for a DOBO at some point. If not, shame on the CCSU administration.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Look at these Assistant gig openings as a blessing for you guys in disguise. Typically, when the postings are opened (state gigs since CCSU is s state school), more than likely, Sellers already has the one(s) he's looking for already in place (just needs to follow the guidelines, with the posting). with that said, hope he was able to poach one or (both) from fellow programs around the area with a lot of upside as coaches
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I'm not concerned with Sellers finding "his guys" to join him on the bench. He's got deep connections, is known in basketball circles as a great guy, and so I am very confident he will have a great staff for this season. The postings are just a formality to get things done.

What I am VERY CONCERNED about is he's doing recruiting all alone right now and will take weeks to get him the support he needs (and deserves)!
I know everyone in the AD office is pitching in, but none of them can actually recruit for him. We are losing valuable time and it really goes to show you that no one but Sellers would have been prepared and ready to deal with this on day one.

Second, that's only 2 postings right now. I'm hoping it is just a timing issue, but we should have 3 full-time coaches who can recruit and work with players. If he doesn't get the budget to hire 3 coaches, I will be very disappointed!

Lastly, there are other non-coaching positions needed. You can call it the DOBO, Special Assistant, Director of Analytics, etc. but we also need that other position to help him do a lot of other things to make us competitive. This is not a budget issue - as we can bring in someone as a Grad Assistant to fill this job. Bottom line, CCSU should also be a place that develops young coaches too!

Howie left a legacy of great assistants, as we see many went on to HC jobs themselves (Pikiell, Latina, Casey, Sellers - and Curren will eventually).

Remember, CCSU is a school that has 2 former NFL head coaches as alumni (Campo and Sherman). With a legacy as a "Teachers College" we should also become the cradle of coaches. These are the little things we can do and I hope it is just a matter of time, and not a lack of vision!
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Knowing that he probably already has his guys in tow (unofficially) wouldn't it make sense that connections with recruits are probably being made unofficially? Or is that some sort of recruiting violation? if so, it shouldn't be....
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

ktuck911 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:16 pm Knowing that he probably already has his guys in tow (unofficially) wouldn't it make sense that connections with recruits are probably being made unofficially? Or is that some sort of recruiting violation? if so, it shouldn't be....
That sounds illegal 😂 🚨👮‍♂️🚓
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

i know... but you guys need to be thrown a few bones....

Especially now... You play us (UConn) to open the season (Rothstein just reported it on Twitter)
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Bruce Hamburger, Greg Herenda's Associate HC at FDU, announced last night that his contract was not being renewed.

I've heard he and Herenda didn't see eye-to-eye on some things.

Hamburger was a major influence on FDU's rise to prominence since Herenda took over. It's probably a longshot, but if Sellers could figure out a way to get Hamburger up to New Britain, it would be HUGE. Significant on-the-bench experience, and a plenty of contacts in the tri-state area.

https://fduknights.com/sports/mens-bask ... urger/1980
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Hamburger was a major influence on FDU's rise to prominence since Herenda took over. It's probably a longshot, but if Sellers could figure out a way to get Hamburger up to New Britain, it would be HUGE.
My hunch is that Sellers has already assembled his staff. Its just that it has to go through the bureaucracy before it becomes official.
Maybe...maybe not.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:29 am My hunch is that Sellers has already assembled his staff. Its just that it has to go through the bureaucracy before it becomes official.
Maybe...maybe not.
That's probably right. And my hunch is that Hamburger goes to Fairfield and replaces Sellers on Jay Young's staff.

But I guess you never know.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Here's another interview with Patrick Sellers: https://t.co/7vfhrKKrrB?amp=1

A few takeways:
1) I think he's already done more public appearances as CCSU's head coach than Donyell Marshall did.
2) It sounds like there will be at least one more commitment coming soon. He's already gotten 2 (3 if you include the walk-on), and mentioned he'd have 4 soon.
3) He said he's re-recruiting 3 players in the Portal. I'll assume one is Scantlebury, who is now returning. The others? It sounds like Outlaw is gone, but who knows. I'm crossing my fingers Outlaw and Mitchell return.
4) He said he expects to go into July with 2 scholarships available. Perhaps he's looking for a couple guys in the Portal who slip threw the cracks?
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Here's hoping Sellers can get Xavier Wilson to change his mind and re-commit. Would definitely be a huge help from your frontcourt....
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Not sure where to put staff speculation, so I'll throw this in here.

There's reports that Sellers is looking at Marcus Toney-El as an assistant. Toney-El played at Seton Hall and spent time on Greg Vetrone's staff at FDU, rising to Associate HC. After Vetrone was fired in 2014, he went to Montclaire Immaculate HS in New Jersey. Jim Salmon is the HC there and is very involved at the grassroots level. Toney-El is his associate HC. Essentially; Toney-El would bring a ton of cache on the recruiting trail given his level of contacts, specifically in NY, NJ, Philly.

Of course, there were rumors of him joining a D1 bench in the past, including Monmouth (King Rice) and St. Peter's (Shaheen Halloway). I'd imagine he's paid pretty well right now, and would he want to relocate to CT? Would be an interesting addition to the staff though, for sure. Sellers needs someone like Toney-El, who has DEEP connections at the grassroots level.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Another phenomenal interview of Patrick Sellers, this time by the NEC/Ron Ratner.

https://t.co/bwwVvaK1Nm?amp=1

We already know more about Pat Sellers in 2 months than we did Donyell Marshall in 5 years. It's amazing to think he just had no interest in building the program's brand.

This is so refreshing.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:29 pm Another phenomenal interview of Patrick Sellers, this time by the NEC/Ron Ratner.

https://t.co/bwwVvaK1Nm?amp=1

We already know more about Pat Sellers in 2 months than we did Donyell Marshall in 5 years. It's amazing to think he just had no interest in building the program's brand.

This is so refreshing.
Part II is here: https://t.co/O1TLR0VdTJ?amp=1

Surprised no chatter on this. You all really have to listen to these 2; absolutely phenomenal, with so much insight.

A few takeaways:
1) It sounds like Tre Mitchell and Nigel Scantlebury are the only players who entered the Portal that will be returning.
2) Some analytics talk! He's already shown the guys the data as to how many points per shot attempt different spots on the floor account for. Mentioned going to the Brooklyn Nets practice and seeing how some shots only counted for 1 point during scrimmages (similar to Nate Oats at Alabama).
3) Offensively he wants to play similar to Creighton. Lots of shooting and shots at the rim (90% rim&3 rate last season). Likes having bigs who can score with the shot clock winding down. Really focused on bringing in shooters above all else.
4) Early on the focus will be defense & rebounding (similar to Howie). Wants athletic bigs who are switchable.

It may take a few years, but he's going to kill it here.