SFU 1/29 and 1/30/21

Lets talk some Hoops!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

SFU 1/29 and 1/30/21

Post by hilltopper »

What are the prospects for at least a split? Both teams are in a four way tie for last place.
But looking at the SFU schedule they did beat Pitt (that's a nice win!) and Bryant but they still have the same conference record as Central.
Have there been some players lost for SFU?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: SFU 1/29 and 1/30/21

Post by CCSU4-3 »

SFU played without their PG Ramiir Dixon-Conover from Game #2 through December because of an ankle injury. Then they played a really difficult early season NEC schedule. They're much better than their record indicates, though they're inconsistent. Sometimes they play like a title contender, other games they look like a middle of the road team.

They have three freshmen in their rotation, and appear set up to be really good for the next few seasons. It's amazing that Krimmel was able to reload after losing Braxton and Blackmon off last season's team, but that's what goes coaches do. Krim can really recruit.

Kenpom has us a 7-point underdogs, with a 24% chance to win each game.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

They're much better than their record indicates,
That is what I suspected. It is hard to figure how a last place NEC team has a victory over an ACC team. Hopefully we get Mr Hyde instead of Dr Jekyll.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

Early 2nd half. ccsu hanging with them.28-29 still not defending the 3
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Sigh. Not even February and looking forward to baseball. 🤦🏻‍♂️
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Announcers said they discussed with DM the option to move the game up, probably should have, this storm is supposed to be a doosey and it’s already started in Loretta. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

No bueno...
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay »

Celebrating tonight
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Wish that team would show up most nights. Not exactly sure why our bench was our bench and not starting but monster games from Baker, Mitchel & Scantlebury.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

The three point shooting was outrageous! Central 48% and SFU 45%.
They cannot maintain that game after game.
But this Central team is going to live and die by their ability to knock down threes. They don't have much of an in the paint presence, especially with Wilson out. Although Wallace is much improved and made a couple of highlight reel plays he has trouble defending against beefy bigs, hence the foul trouble. So, I have no problem with most of them taking a wide open three at any time on the shot clock. It seems that with this team, when someone gets hot, its contagious, and unfortunately, vice versa.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:11 pm Wish that team would show up most nights. Not exactly sure why our bench was our bench and not starting but monster games from Baker, Mitchel & Scantlebury.
Marshall coaches this team very much like an NBA team- play everyone almost evenly over the first 30 minutes, then stick with whoever is hot down the stretch.

Personally, I'd like to see him stick with a consistent rotation like most college coaches do. Roll Scantlebury, Krishnan, Mitchell, Outlaw, and Wallace out there for 28-32 mpg each per night, then fill in with Newkirk, Baker, Reed, and Wilson/Ayangma when the situation calls for it.

There are 39 NEC players playing at least 60% of their teams available minutes, and Central has just two of them (Reed and Scantlebury). The pros? The players are well-rested, and he doesn't have to look anyone in the eye and tell them they are a "garbage time" player. The cons? A lack of a flow/consistency. They've lost 4 NEC games by single digits and I can't help but wonder; if their best players played more minutes in those games, would they have won at least a couple of them?

Clearly Marshall knows more about coaching than I do, and he knows his players better than I do. But you'd struggle to find other coaches who play their best players so few minutes. If they were 7-4 instead of 4-7, I'd think the staff has found something. But, that's clearly not the case, and as of right now they clearly and objectively the worst team in the league yet again.
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:44 pm
ccsuhoops wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:11 pm Wish that team would show up most nights. Not exactly sure why our bench was our bench and not starting but monster games from Baker, Mitchel & Scantlebury.
Marshall coaches this team very much like an NBA team- play everyone almost evenly over the first 30 minutes, then stick with whoever is hot down the stretch.

Personally, I'd like to see him stick with a consistent rotation like most college coaches do. Roll Scantlebury, Krishnan, Mitchell, Outlaw, and Wallace out there for 28-32 mpg each per night, then fill in with Newkirk, Baker, Reed, and Wilson/Ayangma when the situation calls for it.

There are 39 NEC players playing at least 60% of their teams available minutes, and Central has just two of them (Reed and Scantlebury). The pros? The players are well-rested, and he doesn't have to look anyone in the eye and tell them they are a "garbage time" player. The cons? A lack of a flow/consistency. They've lost 4 NEC games by single digits and I can't help but wonder; if their best players played more minutes in those games, would they have won at least a couple of them?

Clearly Marshall knows more about coaching than I do, and he knows his players better than I do. But you'd struggle to find other coaches who play their best players so few minutes. If they were 7-4 instead of 4-7, I'd think the staff has found something. But, that's clearly not the case, and as of right now they clearly and objectively the worst team in the league yet again.
Does he? You know the value of 3 vs 2...
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Sure DM is an expert at BB, he knows more about the sport than all of us combined. But the same could be said for any D1 HC and that is who he is being measured against. The record of the team speaks for itself.

Bill Parcells said, "you are what your record says you are."

Five years later and we have not seen anything positive.
The one year that we had a competitive team, it was marked by players that did not get along with their teammates and coaches that did not get along with each other. There were multiple physical altercations to the point where Police were called in.
Not a good situation.