The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Post by ccsuhoops »

Well fellas (ladies?), I truly wish I didn’t have to type this however I must, that my friends was Donyell’s 100th loss as the head coach at Central Connecticut. Let that sink in.... one hundred losses. Wow. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s crystal clear this isn’t working and I for one am hoping that Tom has Pat on speed dial at 6pm on Friday February 26th. I have a feeling we will have to do a national search. Hopefully this doesn’t become a whole thing with the higher ups. Tom should be free to do what he needs to do to salvage our once proud program. I see no other way forward. 100 losses in 5 seasons, and this last one was a shortened one as well. Ouch.

Thanks for trying Donyell. I mean that.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Post by Skyhawkct »

I admire your post Hoops. Well stated with a meaningful “thanks”.

I’ve met Donyell on several occasions and he was very cordial and accommodating, but the bottom line is that it just isn’t working.

We can talk analytics and all kinds of other details but from my naive view, it seems like the talent is there but the “W’s” aren’t. It’s not rocket science.

It’s been a beyond tough year for everyone at CCSU including the athletic department and I don’t want to see another layer of burden but keeping the status quo just won’t work,
GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Re: The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Post by GameDay »

This isn't really a discussion anymore is it? And for God sake I hope the National search has already begun.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Skyhawkct wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:05 pm I admire your post Hoops. Well stated with a meaningful “thanks”.

I’ve met Donyell on several occasions and he was very cordial and accommodating, but the bottom line is that it just isn’t working.

We can talk analytics and all kinds of other details but from my naive view, it seems like the talent is there but the “W’s” aren’t. It’s not rocket science.

It’s been a beyond tough year for everyone at CCSU including the athletic department and I don’t want to see another layer of burden but keeping the status quo just won’t work,
This is 100% on point.

There are probably at least a dozen reasons why this isn't working. I don't necessarily know what they are (all I have is theories), and it's surely not 100% Marshall's fault (the University/administration have some culpability as well), but it's just not been a good marriage.

Anyone can watch this team and see clearly that there is talent there. Could another coach win with this roster? That's anyone's guess, though the problem with letting Marshall go is that I'd doubt many, if any, of the current players would return. Is that reason enough to keep him on? The administration could say yes, though I think most (all?) here would say no.

Donyell is a really good guy. He cares about his players and he loves the game. He'll obviously be fine financially if he's let go, but I feel for the coaching staff. Especially Mike Witcoskie, who has a young family and would likely have to move them out of the area, which means changing schools, etc. This is such a tough industry to be in.

But also- the CCSU administration needs to look inward. Marshall coached multiple years without a full coaching staff- in 2017-18 they had just two assistants after Anthony Anderson was "let go" during the 16-17 season, and this season they had no DOBO (not sure what happened to Eric Wheeler). This season they have just 11 scholarship players (the original plan was 12, but that's less than the allowed 13). Tom Pincince remains the "interim" AD, which surely means he will have limited say on what happens going forward. I'm sure he will have a voice, but I doubt they let him make the final decision.

Either way, the decision has to be made by 2/26 (Central's final game is 2/25), if it hasn't been made already.

If the University plans on bringing in a new coach, giving him inadequate resources (coaches, scholarships, recruiting budget), and expects them to turn the program around, they've got another thing coming.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

4-3 you foreshadow my exact worry in my sentence about the higher ups. I have a feeling our fearless leader could care less about athletics and will be happy to just let it exist as is regardless. Too bad she’s short sighted on how much money it could actually bring in for the university if done correctly.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

On a personal level I like DM and I realize this is his first time as a head coach. He is a good guy.
I have some opinions on the areas where DM is deficient as a coach, but that is neither here nor there.

I think its acknowledged here that there are on this team and in the previous 4 teams - good talent. I have heard surprised announcers on televised games remark on the athleticism of Central. The unsaid reason for their surprise is that the level of talent is incongruent with the team's record.

Think about it - the team with Bute and Kohl was filled with talent yet they under performed. We had an excellent NEC level #5 and one of the best (Kohl) all around players in Central history. One could argue that the players did not play together or there were off the court issues, but isn't that the job of the head coach?

The record speaks for itself.

A few rhetorical questions:
Would Patrick Sellers have done better?
Could Central have hired Merrimack's coach (they were D2) five years ago? do you think he could have done better?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:44 am Too bad she’s short sighted on how much money it could actually bring in for the university if done correctly.
Is that true?

I'm not disagreeing with you, as I have no idea. I do wonder if, in 2021, there's any money to be made at this level of D1 sports. Of course you can always make the argument that it creates exposure, which would theoretically increase enrollment (and $$).

But I often wonder if it makes more sense for the school to drop down to the D2 level before they even consider increasing the budget. Yes, I would hate it, but if you can't keep up with the increasing costs of the revenue sports, what's the point?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:57 am On a personal level I like DM and I realize this is his first time as a head coach. He is a good guy.
I have some opinions on the areas where DM is deficient as a coach, but that is neither here nor there.

I think its acknowledged here that there are on this team and in the previous 4 teams - good talent. I have heard surprised announcers on televised games remark on the athleticism of Central. The unsaid reason for their surprise is that the level of talent is incongruent with the team's record.

Think about it - the team with Bute and Kohl was filled with talent yet they under performed. We had an excellent NEC level #5 and one of the best (Kohl) all around players in Central history. One could argue that the players did not play together or there were off the court issues, but isn't that the job of the head coach?

The record speaks for itself.

A few rhetorical questions:
Would Patrick Sellers have done better?
Could Central have hired Merrimack's coach (they were D2) five years ago? do you think he could have done better?
I'm not sure how seriously they considered Sellers 5 years ago. The Courant said he was among the 3 finalists, but Jay Young was obviously the guy tabbed by Shlickmann. Young had a decent 1st season at Fairfield but this year has been rough.

The finalists 5 years ago:
Young- 16-33 overall at FU, 12-20 in the MAAC, was an assistant at Stony Brook at the time
Sellers- currently an assistant at Fairfield, was an assistant at DePaul at the time
Steve Curran- former CCSU assistant, has been the associate HC at St. Bonaventure for awhile, and is considered one of the best mid-major assistants in the country
Jared Grasso- You all know what he's done at Bryant
Andre LaFleur- Not sure he's working in basketball right now?
Shaheen Holloway- In his 3rd season at St. Peter's, 37-30 overall, 26-22 in the MAAC, went 14-6 last season.

Would Jay Young have won here if they hired him? That's a great question with no clear answer. I have my doubts. Grasso and Holloway certainly would have been competitive here, though I doubt they would have accepted the job if offered (Bryant and St. Peter's are much better jobs at this point, IMO).

As for Gallo- He was hired in 2016 by MC, but played there and was an assistant there as well. If CCSU hired a D2 assistant, people would obviously question that. But I'm convinced Joe Gallo could compete in the NEC with an average CT High School roster.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:07 pm
ccsuhoops wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:44 am Too bad she’s short sighted on how much money it could actually bring in for the university if done correctly.
Is that true?

I'm not disagreeing with you, as I have no idea. I do wonder if, in 2021, there's any money to be made at this level of D1 sports. Of course you can always make the argument that it creates exposure, which would theoretically increase enrollment (and $$).

But I often wonder if it makes more sense for the school to drop down to the D2 level before they even consider increasing the budget. Yes, I would hate it, but if you can't keep up with the increasing costs of the revenue sports, what's the point?
It feels to me that we have the it is what it is mentality here. Why wait so long to pull the trigger with Tom? He’s either your guy or he’s not? Feels like she has bigger fish to fry and Athletics is an afterthought. It’s been said here that she realizes d1 is the best for the school but I feel we will always be under budget till we die. Hopeful she can at least get us to the status quo. Honestly I’d never go back to the university again and all my apparel would go to goodwill if they ever went d2. Sorry that’s how strongly I feel about that. Not that anyone gives a crap about me but still 😂
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

When Donyell was hired, the word on the street was, "The CCSU job is the worst job in college basketball." That is an absolutely true story; and some of you may have heard that before. CCSU is not an easy place to win. Because of major cuts to the recruiting budget, the current staff has been forced to recruit with one--or even TWO--hands tied behind their back. Things are about as bad as any of us can imagine.
Having said that, yeah, it's time for a change. This staff has been unable to win under the current financial constraints. And in the end, coaches are judged by Ws and Ls.
I think Donyell feels defeated. Honestly, I would imagine that he'll resign as soon as the season is over. I think he wants out. (Notice all the UConn tweets from him lately?) I'm sure he regrets taking this position in the first place. He bit off more than he could chew with this one.
It's time to move on. So, what do we need? Like 4-3 stated, we need the financial backing of the university first and foremost. We need a coach who really WANTS it, who NEEDS to win here. We need someone who is committed to the modern game--and yes, by that I mean--to at least some extent--accepting the tremendous value of analytics as a recruiting, teaching, motivational, evaluation tool...like 99% of the winning programs do.
I really like Donyell. GREAT guy. GREAT mentor to his players. I truly wish him nothing but the best.
But there comes a time when ya gotta say, "It's. Just. Not. Working."
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Agree with everyone's comments. It is sad on many levels, but it is what it is.

This just isn't working and I'm hoping both sides split ways amicably after the final game. DM has some shortcomings as a head coach, but he cares for the kids and this is a passion for him - teaching and mentoring. In this business he was unable to win enough games, period - but he recruited some very good players .

On the other side of the coin, the entire CCSU athletic program is in a world of hurt. Athletics never got the funding they needed to be competitive when the economy was great, now in a post-COVID recession I'm not sure what happens next. I'm not hopeful at all. They haven't given Tom the job yet - and he's probably the only guy in the country that can do the job and wants it. If you thought CCSU men's basketball coach was the worst job in college basketball, how do you rate CCSU AD job?

This is going to be a long and challenging Spring. I'm hoping we get something positive coming from Davidson Hall soon ... but I'm not holding my breath
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

As bad as it is a CCSU, we surely aren’t alone.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pit ... 2011080031
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Times are tough.
But Central's MBB (and WBB too) have been on a steep decline for most of the last decade. With no light at the end of the tunnel.
Now it has been suggested that one of the problems is financing being not up to par for a D1 program. But most D1 programs are not majors. We are not talking about recruiting future NBA starters, but rather serviceable NEC players with the occasional NEC all star. That is all about recruiting and then coaching the recruits.

I don't think that finances are the biggest problem. If it were, then how is it that the football program can get more wins than the MBB and WBB combined? And football requires more recruiting skill than any other sport because you need a lot of good athletes at a variety of positions.
I sincerely believe that given the financial constraints an NEC contender in MBB is not a pipe dream. It can be done.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Totally agree Hill.

I’m sure our budget stinks but I feel 4-3 hit the nail on the head, DM is trying to run an NBA team in an NCAA environment. It ain’t working and nobody is willing to see if it will. Hopefully it’s a mutual discussion as referenced above. It’s time for CCSU men’s basketball to climb the ranks again. The girls I don’t believe have ever been relevant but time for a full time ad announcement and two new coaches. Let’s go!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Skyhawkct wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:47 pm As bad as it is a CCSU, we surely aren’t alone.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pit ... 2011080031
Sky - we are not alone at all. But it isn't looking good for us or our peers in the NEC.

As I've said before, the only positive for CCSU is we can't fall too much father or get that much smaller. We have always operated on a shoestring budget, so I'm not sure what else they can cut.

When you look at a program like UConn they are falling down a lot father. They can't keep losing $40 million a year; their entire program will look very different in 5 years. Their advertising and ticket revenue will plummet - CCSU never really had those revenues to begin with.