The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Lets talk some Hoops!
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Post by RonnyRob15 »

I have no idea where anyone is being negative about individual players. Pretty much everyone chalks it up to institutional rot and Marshall just not being good....

But few things annoy me more than staying positive for the sake of staying posiitive. That’s what people told me while I watched Bob Diaco.
GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Re: The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Post by GameDay »

Staypositive were you a collegiate athlete?.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

I gotta say, I went back and read this entire thread (again) and, for the life of me, I cannot see ANY negativity towards the players...at all. I mean, jeez, offering a FAIR ASSESSMENT is not "negativity"--it's honesty. People on this board have always been supportive of the athletes. You can hear much harsher criticism sitting in any high school--and, heck, MIDDLE school--gym these days. The frustration has certainly not been with the players; the frustration is with the lack of financial commitment to the program. And yes, there's some doubters about Coach Marshall's ability to get the job done--and rightfully so. Look at the Ws and Ls. Facts are stubborn things.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

FWIW, Fordham fired their MBB coach a couple of weeks ago, and today removed the "interim" tag of Eddie Kull, who is now the permanent AD. Kull, who's held the interim tag since April 2020, who will now lead a nationwide search for a new coach.

I have no idea if this is what Central will do, but here is some precedent. Having an "interim" AD is not ideal if you want to attract a new coach, especially given all the other negative aspects about a potential CCSU opening. Imagine signing a 5-year contract with the expectation that 1-3 years in you will have a new boss? If that's the case, their pool of candidates might be local high school coaches.
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 »

Sacred Heart HS is closing. Who coaches them?
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:31 am FWIW, Fordham fired their MBB coach a couple of weeks ago, and today removed the "interim" tag of Eddie Kull, who is now the permanent AD. Kull, who's held the interim tag since April 2020, who will now lead a nationwide search for a new coach.

I have no idea if this is what Central will do, but here is some precedent. Having an "interim" AD is not ideal if you want to attract a new coach, especially given all the other negative aspects about a potential CCSU opening. Imagine signing a 5-year contract with the expectation that 1-3 years in you will have a new boss? If that's the case, their pool of candidates might be local high school coaches.
Will Patrick Sellers even take the job? We might be in for a real 'no name' here.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Will Patrick Sellers even take the job? We might be in for a real 'no name' here.
That will never be known until the job is up for application and an offer is made. He seemed interested last time. Central is really an opportunity for any D1 assistant coach who has confidence in his abilities. Think about it, given the performances of the last 7 or 8 years, if the next coach (is there going to be a change? I don't know, do you?) manages to win say 7 or 8 in his first season and 10 or more games in his second season there will be a ticker tape parade down Stanley Street!
The expectations now are particularly low.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

No, I don't know if there will be a change. I like DM and his staff and I hate to raise the question, but how often does a coach average 20+ losses a season and stay on? If I'm wrong and DM has success, great! But I don't think the business works in such a way that would result in him getting retained.

As for it being a good opportunity, there too I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Even if a good coach comes here with high hopes, high energy and a solid staff, they still will have to overcome the challenges associated with limited resources, recruiting, etc. As I've said earlier this IS a tough gig. I wouldn't be surprised if we have to go through two or so more coaches before things really turn around. I'm sorry for mentioning these negative prospects, but I've been a fan since 1998 and I've experienced high hopes resulting in disappointment all too often.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:13 pm Central is really an opportunity for any D1 assistant coach who has confidence in his abilities.
Again, with the caveat that Central will be in the market for a new coach, I hope they don't limit their search to D1 assistants.

There's at least one D2 head coach out there who, I believe, would be an absolute home run hire.

We can talk names if/when the time comes, but I think there are a few guys who absolutely need to get the first calls. Sellers is one of them, but there are others with impressive resumes and ties to CT (though not necessarily CCSU).

The last thing I want is for CCSU to hire a new coach simply because they played for or coached under Howie Dickenman. Not to say it's a bad thing, but that shouldn't be the primary reason.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

Hmmm...that D2 coach have a brother who works at CCSU? LOL
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

jcframingham wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:00 pm Hmmm...that D2 coach have a brother who works at CCSU? LOL
Ill be honest- this has apparently gone well over my head.
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

Would that D2 coach be a former Quinnipiac assistant?
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Scotty may be a good choice. In regards to Pat, I think of him , at least experience wise, a UConn guy more than I do a player under Howie. So many questions and ccsu is usually not fond of answering anything to the fans. What worries me is what if our pres is indeed happy to let it be, in other words it is what it is and it’s Donyells if he wants it? There is obviously no hurry to hire Tom and or do a national search for an AD, why should we believe there will be a search for a new coach. Maybe it’s the covid boredom talking but I see more in the press that seems to concern her more and never see anything about athletics. Miss big Jack I’ll tell ya! He understood the importance of athletics...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Shoreline wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:28 pm Would that D2 coach be a former Quinnipiac assistant?
Ha! I had no idea Scott Burrell had a brother that coaches football at CCSU.

No, I wasn't referring to Scotty.

We'll see.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

Haha, I guess the only reason I knew that was because Abbott was on the staff at Brown when my nephew played there. (similar results to CCSU basketball :( ). I think your 'cross that bridge when we find it' approach is a healthy one.