The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Post by ccsuhoops »

RonnyRob15 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:32 pm Every 90 days we don’t hire someone we save 45k! That’s where this mess is.
It’s ridiculous and why I’m starting to think nothing will be done. Expected to hear something on Twitter by now. Maybe Monday? At what point does the waiting affect the recruiting process. We have at least one spot to fill no? God, I used to know all this crap. 104 losses has deflated me on this program. Can’t wait for baseball and football at least...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: The stat I wish I didn’t have to write and one you most definitely don’t want to read.

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:59 pm It’s ridiculous and why I’m starting to think nothing will be done. Expected to hear something on Twitter by now. Maybe Monday? At what point does the waiting affect the recruiting process. We have at least one spot to fill no? God, I used to know all this crap. 104 losses has deflated me on this program. Can’t wait for baseball and football at least...
I wouldn't think they'd do anything over the weekend. One would hope something would be announced on Monday, but I have no intel. It's been incredibly quiet on that front, even behind the scenes.

In terms of recruiting...it depends what the decision is. If they are giving Marshall an extension, then they'd have potentially 3 scholarships to fill assuming no transfers (they had 11 his season, and it appears Ayangma is gone). The school only allowed Marshall to use 12 last season, which became 11 when Wassef Methnani went pro in September. With the decline in enrollment this spring, I wouldn't be surprised if MBB was limited to 11 or 12 again next season.

If Marshall is not returning, then time is of the essence imo. The Boston College, Penn State, and Fordham jobs are open right now, and they could have huge ramifications for CCSU. There are a number of coaches from better New England mid-majors involved in those jobs (i.e. John Becker at Vermont, James Jones from Yale, Bill Coen from Northeastern, Ryan Odom from UMBC, Andy Toole from RMU). Imagine having, say, both Vermont and Yale open at the same time CCSU is? They'd likely be pulling from a similar list of candidates, yet are much more desirable.

Anyway- I firmly believe that a new coach would have to replace nearly all of the roster, as I would expect very few (zero?) players to return to CCSU. I could (happily) be wrong, but call that an educated guess*. Of course, before that the new coach would have to secure a staff, which would take time.

*If I were advising these players, I'd tell them to enter the Transfer Portal with an open mind to returning depending on who is hired and what those initial conversations are like. I'm very pro-"keep your options open".
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

if DM really wants out I would expect that he will say something soon. Like a Twitter post stating thanks to Central but its time to move on.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:08 am if DM really wants out I would expect that he will say something soon. Like a Twitter post stating thanks to Central but its time to move on.
Not sure if it comes to play here, but his contract is technically in place until 4/14. If he did that, would that be considered a resignation, thus forfeiting the final 1.5 months of his salary?

I honestly have no idea, but I'd guess he's going to make the school make the announcement.

I also don't believe he wants out. I think he'd stay on under the right circumstances.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:12 am
hilltopper wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:08 am if DM really wants out I would expect that he will say something soon. Like a Twitter post stating thanks to Central but its time to move on.
I also don't believe he wants out. I think he'd stay on under the right circumstances.
Id bet a paycheck he doesn’t want out. You can just tell from the tone of his tweets and how he said you can’t judge any coach during this covid season, that was in some article. Feels like we’re damned if we do, damned if we don’t.
RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 »

This isn’t hard. He can resign effective his last pay period. The guy made tens of millions in the NBA...

The school is too busy starting a degree for social justice to have a basketball team. I’m out on that - but will be funny to watch them just ignore this problem.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Binghamton ended their season yesterday and the reports are they are firing Tommy Dempsey.

That's another job opening that would have a similar candidate list as Central. And now they get a head start.

Every day there's nothing coming out of Davidson Hall they fall further behind.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 pm Binghamton ended their season yesterday and the reports are they are firing Tommy Dempsey.

That's another job opening that would have a similar candidate list as Central. And now they get a head start.

Add Albany to the list...Will Brown's contract expires this season and is not being renewed. He won 5 America East titles in 20 seasons. They finished their season yesterday with a loss to Hartford in the AE Quarters.

EDIT: It sounds like Binghamton is elevating an assistant to be the interim coach for at least the next year.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:56 am
CCSU4-3 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 pm Binghamton ended their season yesterday and the reports are they are firing Tommy Dempsey.

EDIT: It sounds like Binghamton is elevating an assistant to be the interim coach for at least the next year.
Yet another money saving opportunity that will probably be considered.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:12 am
Not sure if it comes to play here, but his contract is technically in place until 4/14. If he did that, would that be considered a resignation, thus forfeiting the final 1.5 months of his salary?

I honestly have no idea, but I'd guess he's going to make the school make the announcement.

For a couple of reasons, I think this is going to drag on until the end of the month.

First, as stated, DM has a valid contract that expires on 4/14. He will get every penny of that contract even if we don't renew. CCSU can't save any money on that end. So there is no rush to make a decision ...

Second, Tom is the Interim AD, and while he is likely (and should be) making the decision weather to offer a new contract or open the job to new candidates, he's likely has to get support/buy-in of the Chief Operating Officer (Sal Cintorio) and the President. I don't know what Tom is thinking or what he is going to decide, but I am confident he will sit down with DM review his past performance, discuss future plans, and make a decision that is best for the University. Based on all the individuals involved in the decision, the sensitivities and the publicity to follow, they may not make a decision for weeks ...

If DM wanted to leave, he'd would make a Twitter announcement and move on to the next thing. He wants to stay, I'm almost certain of that.

If CCSU wants to go in another direction, they have a lot more work to do before going public. I wish this would happen sooner rather than later, but we've seen this play before ...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:20 pm Second, Tom is the Interim AD, and while he is likely (and should be) making the decision weather to offer a new contract or open the job to new candidates, he's likely has to get support/buy-in of the Chief Operating Officer (Sal Cintorio) and the President. I don't know what Tom is thinking or what he is going to decide, but I am confident he will sit down with DM review his past performance, discuss future plans, and make a decision that is best for the University. Based on all the individuals involved in the decision, the sensitivities and the publicity to follow, they may not make a decision for weeks ...
This is the problem, J.J.!

This decision should have largely been made on November 1...and should have 100% been made on 1/15, or 2/1, or 2/15. Why in the world would they be waiting until NOW to have these conversations?!?!? I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just infuriating to me. It's reflects a complete lack of leadership and foresight.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:59 pm
J.J. wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:20 pm Second, Tom is the Interim AD, and while he is likely (and should be) making the decision weather to offer a new contract or open the job to new candidates, he's likely has to get support/buy-in of the Chief Operating Officer (Sal Cintorio) and the President. I don't know what Tom is thinking or what he is going to decide, but I am confident he will sit down with DM review his past performance, discuss future plans, and make a decision that is best for the University. Based on all the individuals involved in the decision, the sensitivities and the publicity to follow, they may not make a decision for weeks ...
This is the problem, J.J.!

This decision should have largely been made on November 1...and should have 100% been made on 1/15, or 2/1, or 2/15. Why in the world would they be waiting until NOW to have these conversations?!?!? I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just infuriating to me. It's reflects a complete lack of leadership and foresight.
4-3, We're on the same page. I'm pretty frustrated as well, but not much you and I can do other than post messages here and vent. Keeping everything in perspective, there is no debate. Five years, 104 losses - it's time for both side to part ways and move on. The question is can it be done quickly and professionally? If you think this is frustrating just ask Larry how complex it is for the State update IT systems, or ask Skyhawk why it takes decades to renovate a bridge. This

I've been following CCSU athletics since I was an undergrad in 1992, I've worked for the State of Connecticut and in local and federal government for more than two decades. I understand the bureaucracy as good as anyone and, unfortunately, this is our reality.

CCSU has more challenges than most, but as bad as we think it is in New Britain, this is the reality behind the scenes at about 100 other NCAA D-I schools as well. We are underfunded and controlled by political forces that don't have the same opinion or perspective as most of us on this message board.

I am confident that Tom is doing his best within the framework which he can operate and will ultimately do what is best for the program. Will it happen as fast and smoothly as we expect or want - absolutely not - but what else can we do?
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

I think it's true CCSU will wait until they've used up all of what they owe DM. I just wonder if Binghamton and Albany chose not to do that. I.e., are they paying extra or paying a coach who's no longer there (constructively severance perhaps)
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Waiting makes no sense to me. You agreed to pay the man until a certain date. So pay him and move on no? Why wait? Is there some red tape state bs or something? Time is of the essence, they either cut ties or reevaluate his nba game plan in the college landscape, get rid of it and get on the recruiting trail for a big man and a consistent scorer.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:35 pm Waiting makes no sense to me. You agreed to pay the man until a certain date. So pay him and move on no? Why wait? Is there some red tape state bs or something? Time is of the essence, they either cut ties or reevaluate his nba game plan in the college landscape, get rid of it and get on the recruiting trail for a big man and a consistent scorer.
Correct - we will pay DM everything due under the contract regardless of when we decide to not renew. That cost has no impact on the decision.

If they decide not to renew, then we have to have a plan while a search is underway. That means paying an assistant as the "interim" head coach until they find a new head coach. It is possible that the school doesn't want to start paying an "interim" until 4/15. But that is just a guess. I honestly have no clue what is happening in Davidson or Kaiser Hall.

We all just want an indication as to what is happening ... renew DM for another year ... or begin a search for a new coach. This isn't rocket science, but we're just going to have to wait and see.