Coaching Carousel 2021

Lets talk some Hoops!
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021

Post by ktuck911 »

That's not unreal bro... When you're at the top of ALL of Women's College Basketball you're gonna see that type of financial support, plain and simple...
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Just ticks me off that the state can’t see that two programs can be successful and share some of the immense wealth. It’s not like Shea Ralph was some mastermind behind Geno is it?
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

ccsuhoops wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:50 pm Just ticks me off that the state can’t see that two programs can be successful and share some of the immense wealth. It’s not like Shea Ralph was some mastermind behind Geno is it?
I had a difficult time following the tweet because I’m not “up” on the topic but I think they are referring to UH as far as the school dropping divisions and, obviously, the low $$ for our HC is obscene. Not a bad salary for some positions, but not for a head D-1 WBB coach.

I’ve often said Hoops, that CT is backwards in regards to support of their state universities in all aspects, including D-1 Athletics and unfortunately, most UC fans don’t understand that our “model” is not replicated in most of the country. They want uber funding for their school and their school only.

For instance, West Virginia, one of the poorest states in the country, fully supports two high level D-1 research universities. Mississippi supports three and Alabama, another financially struggling state, supports FOUR! Yet with our backwards thinking from both from state government and the residents, CT can’t seem to appreciate the possibilities of two competitive schools within it’s borders.

This may be a “New England” thing, a Northeast thing or maybe something to do with the state’s geographic footprint but almost every other state in the country outside of the region fully supports their public universities. I see this here big time in Fla with UF, FSU, USF, UCF, FAU and FIU.
callmecasual
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by callmecasual »

Think about who you're talking about. Football schools. SEC schools for the most part. And Florida. The money that those schools are making on football is astronomical.

Now consider California. Cal and UCLA are the big publicly funded sports schools. Then everyone else is a tier below or more.

I feel like we're more like New York and the SUNY school system. New Yorks flagship is Buffalo. Then you have Binghamton and Stony Brook.

But the biggest thing that you're not considering is boosters. Boosters play a huge role in paying those coaches. UConn doesn't have many major sports boosters. And central has even fewer.

And again, sorry for rambling.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Oh I thought about what I’m talking about and by all means, I did consider boosters. UConn’s boosters would be far far fewer without the state getting involved years ago improving the profile of UC Athletics and we would improve our booster support if the state gave CCSU a decent amount of support.

Of course I don’t think CT could ever do what this big football states do but it’s difficult to find a direct analogy. True, I used those states as examples and they are at a much higher profile. I’m just trying to support Hoop’s comment.

Now, we do have all the second tier MAC schools in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and New York to consider as well as schools from nothing states like U-South Dakota/SDSU and U-ND/NDSU. From what I know, all those MAC schools live under the umbrella of the big boys in the Big 10 (14) and although some are struggling financially, their respective states still support them.

Another example of state support is UCF. Not only were there no boosters when CCSU was 110 years old, there were no students as there wasn’t even a UCF until 1963. Then, the state of Florida supported a new university in the Orlando area. Now UCF is the largest university in the country with thousands of boosters.

I know I’m sort of mixing apples and oranges trying to make a point but, in my opinion, if we had a reasonable amount of state support, that would translate to a higher profile and the boosters will follow.

Let’s face it. The state of CT bent over backwards to boost UConn’s move to D-1A (FBS) and boosters followed...although it looks like the entire program may collapse now.

I’m not saying we should emulate those big time football states because we can’t obviously but our legislators treat all four CSU campuses as an afterthought. We can’t even get the state to build a semi decent arena for what should be our premier sport.

It’s so sad in CT that there are many so called “fans” who don’t even know CCSU is D-1.

Now it is I who should apologize for rambling. This poor dead horse has been whipped too many times over the past 40 some odd years.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Jeff Goodman just published an article on 2021 Coaching Carousel Superlative. Obviously, without a selection at CCSU we weren't mentioned, but he's got a few interesting observations.

https://watchstadium.com/2021-coaching- ... 4-28-2021/
BEST MID-MAJOR HIRE: The College of Charleston went with a guy who has won his league four of the last six years and recorded at least 18 wins in eight consecutive seasons. Winthrop’s Pat Kelsey clearly had the best gig in the Big South, and now he’ll have it in the CAA. If Kelsey wins again at CofC, he’ll be in line for a high-major job.

MOST BAFFLING MOVE BY A COACH, PART II: UMBC’s Ryan Odom heading to Utah State. I understand it’s more money and a chance to compete in a multi-bid league, but Odom was getting paid well at UMBC ($500,000). My guess is that Odom knew he had to win elsewhere in order to get a high-major gig. He wasn’t able to get Wake Forest or Boston College, so he’ll try and prove he can do it in Logan, Utah — a place where Craig Smith just won 74 games in three seasons and turned that into a Pac-12 gig.

MOST BAFFLING MOVE BY AN AD: There was no shortage of candidates for this spot, but I’m going with Boston College AD Patrick Kraft selecting College of Charleston head coach Earl Grant. I’m happy for Grant, and hope he succeeds so that I (a Massachusetts resident) can watch competitive games without having to consistently travel across the country, but Grant has no familiarity with New England and struggled in his seven seasons (69-50 in league play) at the best job in the CAA. Now he inherits arguably the worst job in the ACC. Part of the reason it was shocking is that St. Bonaventure head coach Mark Schmidt, who has taken the Bonnies to three NCAA Tournaments in the last 10 years, is a BC alum and would have walked from Olean to Chestnut Hill for the gig.

BEST CANDIDATE POOL: Abilene Christian’s Joe Golding got the job, but I loved the group of finalists that UTEP AD Jim Senter assembled for the opening. Baylor assistant Jerome Tang would have been a great choice, and you can’t argue with Arkansas assistant David Patrick, New Mexico State head coach Chris Jans and even former Nebraska and Southern Miss head coach Doc Sadler.

TIME WILL TELL: I’ve never been a huge fan of bringing in NBA guys, especially ones who have spent their entire careers in the league. I know Juwan Howard has crushed it in Ann Arbor, but that’s the exception — and not the norm (see: Clyde Drexler). Indiana swung and missed on Brad Stevens and a few others (yes, Indiana fans, Chris Holtmann passed on the job), and wound up with one of their own in Mike Woodson. The good news is that the 63-year-old Woodson kept assistant Kenya Hunter and added former IU guard Dane Fife from Michigan State. Those guys have helped him keep Trayce Jackson-Davis, add Pittsburgh transfer Xavier Johnson and Northwestern transfer Miller Kopp, and also get a pledge from top recruit Tamar Bates. I’m still not completely sold just yet, but Woodson has momentum, and inherits a group that was close to getting into the NCAA Tournament this past season under Archie Miller.