Coaching Carousel 2021

Lets talk some Hoops!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021

Post by CCSU4-3 »

jcframingham wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:26 pm I would like someone who's won as a head coach. My first choice would be Burrell, and I like Mitch Oliver, but I'm concerned is scholarship recruiting experience is limited.
Why would you default to Scott Burrell? There are plenty of coaches who have won at the D2 level more than he has.

He took over a previous coaches roster, made 2 tournaments in 2 years, but has done nothing since.

Haven't we already done the "former UConn star thing"?

Meanwhile, Tobin Anderson is destroying the competition at D2 St. Thomas Aquinas and no one is mentioning him.

Hiring Scott Burrell would be such an epic failure.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

Scott hasn't had one losing season at SCSU, and it's not because he played for UConn and in the NBA that he's who I would go wiyh. I think CCSU would be a more familiar situation to him than most coaches - State University system and his brother is an assistant football coach. But if this Tobin Anderson (Wesleyan grad apparently) is a better choice, have at it.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

That's fair. I just worry that fans, and the administration, fall for familiar names. If his name was Bott Scurrell and played at Eastern and had the same coaching resume, would you want him? If so, then ok. He's been above average in the NE10, but not better than that. Especially after the guys he inherited graduated.

So many guys are "cookie cutter" (Pat Sellers too, I fear). Cookie cutter won't win here with the lack of resources. We need someone who will think outside of the box and will be heavily into analytics and/or will implement a unique style (like Joe Gallo, Andy Toole, Jared Grasso).

Your typical "try to recruit good players and play the way everyone else plays" will not work here.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

Yes, to your question about Bott and Eastern. I can understand it looks like I want a familiar name, but that's honestly not why I like Burrell. I think he'll know as much as anyone how big a hill he has to climb. So might Sellers, Casey and Curran, but Burrell has wins on his resume.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I absolutely agree with you that we need to find the best person for the job and that person my have no connection to CCSU or the State. We are looking for the "diamond in the rough" just like Howie did when he found Corsely Edwards or Javy Mojica.

We want someone who will coach the "modern game" and can recruit, motivate, strategize, adapt and WIN here.

There will be a lot of names that we will consider. And let's remember this is just message board banter for fun. Ultimately, the AD and selection committee will have a thorough vetting process to identify the best candidate. And I expect this time the selection won't be influenced by a corrupt administrator.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

J.J. wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:46 pm I absolutely agree with you that we need to find the best person for the job and that person my have no connection to CCSU or the State. We are looking for the "diamond in the rough" just like Howie did when he found Corsely Edwards or Javy Mojica.

We want someone who will coach the "modern game" and can recruit, motivate, strategize, adapt and WIN here.

There will be a lot of names that we will consider. And let's remember this is just message board banter for fun. Ultimately, the AD and selection committee will have a thorough vetting process to identify the best candidate. And I expect this time the selection won't be influenced by a corrupt administrator.
Totally agree here. Let the committee do their job, assuming our pres only cares about the how much and not the “who”. I wouldn’t be happy with Burrell as the choice. His resume is average and I feel the Uconn shadow needs some light shined on it. Donyell was hired strictly because of his affiliation with them. Honestly I thought it was going to be good as far as recruiting, especially given his nba success but it was a dumpster fire. Tom knows the program is a disaster, he also knows how it used to be and where the fan base needs it to be, I feel confident he will lead a good committee and hire the right guy for the job. Maybe then he’ll get that interim bs stripped from his title.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

"Diamond in the rough" has crossed my mind too. My question is whether there are ways of spotting it during the selection process? We need luck here. But I guess every program in this position does.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

And more news from around the NCAA coaching carousel:

- Albany has hired Dwayne Killings, current assistant at Marquette. Played at UMass and Hampton, was an assistant at UConn (2016-18)

- Boston College hires Earl Grant head coach from Charleston (CAA).

- Penn State hired Purdue assistant Micah Shrewsberry.

Fordham job is sill open, along with CCSU. No rush here in New Britain, as I think we have a deep pool without much competition among other jobs in the region.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:28 am Fordham job is sill open, along with CCSU. No rush here in New Britain, as I think we have a deep pool without much competition among other jobs in the region.
My worry was that BC and/or Penn St. hired northeast guys, thus starting a domino effect. John Becker (Vermont) was rumored early on. Mark Schmidt to BC would have likely taken Steve Curran off the board. Albany didn't steal a guy from our candidate pool as, from what I've heard behind the scenes, it was always unlikely a guy like Killings (high-major assistant) would come here (could likely wait another year for a better job, plus the pay).

But as we sit here now, it's been a best case scenario for Central. Fordham could have an effect, as it could cause Bryant or St. Peter's to open and choose from a similar candidate pool.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Sounds like the Hofstra job will also open up.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

What a mess and drama in Amherst. Makes the last few years in New Britain look normal in comparison. That UMass program is fallen so low, I think its time to schedule the Minutemen for another game at Detrick :) Seriously, very possible the UMass position opens up this offseason.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/03/20/ ... tt-mccall/
In Amherst, these are dicey times for the state’s flagship men’s basketball team.

A half-century after the celebrated brilliance of Dr. J and a quarter-century after John Calipari’s national powerhouses, the Minutemen have yet to advance past the first round of the NCAA Tournament since 1996. That year, a Calipari team reached the Final Four — a feat that was vacated after star center Marcus Camby admitted receiving improper benefits from an agent.

Mitchell is an NBA prospect who, in 2020, was the Atlantic 10 rookie of the year and who this month was named first-team all-conference. The prospect of losing him has struck some fans as almost akin to the Red Sox losing Mookie Betts.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Well now we have another peer conducting a head coaching search at the same time as us.

UMBC coach Ryan Odom has taken the position at Utah State.

UMBC, now of America East, is lead by AD Brian Bario who was the previous AD at CCSU for about 18 months. The Retrievers joins D-I in 1986-87 and have shared both ECC and NEC membership with the Blue Devils.

I would note that UMBC is using a search firm to assist in their opening.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:03 am Well now we have another peer conducting a head coaching search at the same time as us.

UMBC coach Ryan Odom has taken the position at Utah State.

UMBC, now of America East, is lead by AD Brian Bario who was the previous AD at CCSU for about 18 months. The Retrievers joins D-I in 1986-87 and have shared both ECC and NEC membership with the Blue Devils.

I would note that UMBC is using a search firm to assist in their opening.
UMBC's budget is 55-60% larger than ours and they play in a brand new facility (opened in 2018).

They're a peer, sure, but that is a significantly better job than Central. Ryan Odom was making over $400k/year.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Mount St. Mary's signed Dan Engelstad to a 3-yr extension yesterday. I'm sure that included an increased buyout.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Rumor has it that King Rice will step down from the Monmouth job to become Associate HC at North Carolina. That would open up an attractive mid major head coach position ob in the MAAC to complete with the UMBC opening.

I would imagine that many if the guys that applied for the CCSU job will also apply for the MU opening.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

And MU has new facilities and truck loads of money I believe...