Coaching Carousel 2021

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021

Post by J.J. »

So much for rumors - King Rice is staying at Monmouth.

Here's an update on the few mid-major hires in the region:

Albany (America East) - Dwayne Killings, Marquette assistant
Binghamton (America East) - Levell Sanders (interim for 2021-22), Binghamton assistant
Central Connecticut (Northeast) - OPEN
Delaware State (Mid-Eastern) - OPEN
Fordham (Atlantic 10) - Kyle Neptune, Villanova assistant
Hofstra (Colonial) - Speedy Claxton, Hofstra assistant
UMBC (America East) - Jim Ferry, Penn St. interim head coach
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

So why are we the last? Meanwhile these new HC's are a step ahead in the recruiting process.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

hilltopper wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:19 pm So why are we the last? Meanwhile these new HC's are a step ahead in the recruiting process.
Not enough time for any of them to make a difference. All these teams had defections and few if any new signings so far. We are still deep in the offseason and in a dead recruiting period.

CCSU is in a great position right now and I'm looking forward to hearing more about the candidates. I like our deliberate approach that let's us really target and find the "right" person.

If you look at the list from "peer" openings in the region, the theme for these schools have been major assistants (Albany and Fordham) or hire from within (Bing and Hofstra).

In my opinion, UMBC moved way too quick to pick Ferry. Not sure why Brian jumped on him so fast. Ferry is considered an underwhelming choice for some UMBC fans. We don't really know who was interested/considered in that job. Odd move if you ask me. Ferry may be a solid pick, but would have liked to see their options.

In the end, it will be interesting to see how our selection compares to the other jobs.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

I like our deliberate approach that let's us really target and find the "right" person.
I hope you are right, but I am pessimistic. Why? look at what happened with MBB last time! and with Football I think we all can agree the new HC is excellent, but he was not picked by a "specially assembled panel of experts" but was rather an assistant who was given the reigns on an interim basis and went on to have one of greatest seasons Central has ever had. So, that was a no brainer.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I'd push back on the idea of being deliberate a bit; there's no more information to gather. I think you can be deliberate and also hire a head coach within a week. The resumes are the resumes, the interviews are the interviews.

Again- this isn't CCSU's fault. They PROBABLY could have had a HC weeks ago if it weren't for the State of CT.

If they're going to be deliberate, then hire Patrick Sellers on 5/1, I'd really question what was the point? He's the favorite of everyone up there at Davidson Hall. They probably don't even need to interview the guy. Let's just get on with it...hire him Wednesday.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Yes, I certainly wish we had less bureaucratic, budgetary, and political hurdles. State and union rules make this a much longer process than at almost any other D-I program in the country - and that sucks! This shouldn't be a 2 month process, but if you look at what UMBC did, I think they moved a little faster than necessary.

I'm all in on Pat Sellers, but I am also 100% open for other qualified selections, such as a Curran, Paulson, etc.

I agree, if Sellers winds up to be the selection, I hope they can wrap it up by the end of next week. But if it is someone else, I think there needs to be multiple open and honest conversations between the school and the candidates. As we all know, this isn't an easy job and there are some unique and challenging circumstances. I want the new coach to have full awareness of everything going on at Central behind the scenes, so they don't bolt after 2 seasons without any progress.

I think our last selection of an AD was a very troubling sign. We hired a young, qualified AD and he didn't make it 2 years, only to go to UMBC. That tells me the President and possibly others were not very honest regarding the situation or resources for athletics. In some respects I have much more heartburn at that hire, compared to the DM debacle. At least with hoops selection, we know what the problem was - an Administrator (Bachoo) with a history of meddling in athletics.

And as we have all discussed, the school needs to immediately offer Tom the AD position. We've gone too long with the interim title just to save a few buck. He's the right man for the job and he is doing it now. I really would like to see us announce the new basketball coach and Tom as AD on the same time!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:30 am Yes, I certainly wish we had less bureaucratic, budgetary, and political hurdles. State and union rules make this a much longer process than at almost any other D-I program in the country - and that sucks! This shouldn't be a 2 month process, but if you look at what UMBC did, I think they moved a little faster than necessary.

I'm all in on Pat Sellers, but I am also 100% open for other qualified selections, such as a Curran, Paulson, etc.

I agree, if Sellers winds up to be the selection, I hope they can wrap it up by the end of next week. But if it is someone else, I think there needs to be multiple open and honest conversations between the school and the candidates. As we all know, this isn't an easy job and there are some unique and challenging circumstances. I want the new coach to have full awareness of everything going on at Central behind the scenes, so they don't bolt after 2 seasons without any progress.

I think our last selection of an AD was a very troubling sign. We hired a young, qualified AD and he didn't make it 2 years, only to go to UMBC. That tells me the President and possibly others were not very honest regarding the situation or resources for athletics. In some respects I have much more heartburn at that hire, compared to the DM debacle. At least with hoops selection, we know what the problem was - an Administrator (Bachoo) with a history of meddling in athletics.

And as we have all discussed, the school needs to immediately offer Tom the AD position. We've gone too long with the interim title just to save a few buck. He's the right man for the job and he is doing it now. I really would like to see us announce the new basketball coach and Tom as AD on the same time!
I agree 100%. If you're going to go through this process, I hope Pincince, et al. are completely open-minded and not "it's probably Sellers but let's see what Candidate X has to say".

As I put on Twitter, and one thing we haven't discussed much here, is; who is going to re-build this brand? Marshall was infamously quiet; on social media he generally just re-tweeted old highlight videos of himself at UConn. Very little fan engagement, no interviews, etc.

I know the administration wants someone who will focus on academics, but I think they need to find someone who can ALSO be a brand builder. Say what you want about Jared Grasso, but HE has built Bryant into a brand. The Providence Journal is reporting on them consistently, and it's PROBABLY because Grasso is calling them with info. He's going on podcasts, being interviewed on the radio, etc, and has cultivated friendships with media people (like Jon Rothstein) which has helped. Is Patrick Sellers that guy? He hasn't really been "out there" in the past, but he's also never been a head coach. Curran is more visible, while Paulsen and Brown did a good job in that regard in their previous stops. Right now we have zero brand. That has to change.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:21 am

I know the administration wants someone who will focus on academics, but I think they need to find someone who can ALSO be a brand builder. Say what you want about Jared Grasso, but HE has built Bryant into a brand. The Providence Journal is reporting on them consistently, and it's PROBABLY because Grasso is calling them with info. He's going on podcasts, being interviewed on the radio, etc, and has cultivated friendships with media people (like Jon Rothstein) which has helped. Is Patrick Sellers that guy? He hasn't really been "out there" in the past, but he's also never been a head coach. Curran is more visible, while Paulsen and Brown did a good job in that regard in their previous stops. Right now we have zero brand. That has to change.
Agree, is there a millionth percent? 😂 . Athletics needs to be built ALONGSIDE of the university. All I see online from our executives is how wonderful all other aspects are, the business school just got some props. which is cool. I always see all things diversity and inclusion coming out, which is also cool but I never see any positives about athletics.? Why aren’t athletics included in the recruitment videos? Why can’t there be a flyover shot of the football field and surrounding fields? Why does it have to separated to only NEC Front row commercials. Why does the school have to separate this stuff, especially in light of all the inclusion messages that are being marketed? Seriously not trying to be a tool here, would love to see the executive decisions move toward everyone being a family and it feels like that’s not the message? Maybe I’m wrong and just sick of not going to games and sitting in my house? 🤷🏼 However I can’t agree more, new coach has got to be an ambassador for the school and try and build an online presence. The age of athletics silence needs to end.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I also agree about "building the brand." This program has a lot of history and at one point was a pretty big deal at its level (small college/mid-major) built by Kaiser, Moore, Detrick, and Dickenman.

This is a university first and foremost, so I understand why academics and recruiting kids of character is the #1 priority. It should be and no one disagrees that academics and finding great student-athletes to represent the university is most important.

But I also want someone who is going to get out and promote the university and the program. That's not all on the head coach and the AD needs resources, but our media coverage is horrible. And you need a coach who is willing to do things on his own and push the school to do more!

I understand the media landscape has changed, but we get no press from the Courant, whereas up until 10 years ago, we had regular preseason features, game recaps, etc. in the State paper of record. We used to have a commercial radio deal and games on local TV stations. Now we get self-produced online broadcasts, but the home-team announcers only for home games. In many ways we've taken a big step back and we need someone to rebuild from the ground up. That's what makes this job so hard - is there administrative support for what we want and that goes directly to the President.

Where are the podcasts, and appearances on local sports radio, etc? IMO this is absolutely part of vetting for the new coach ... but we also need the budget to do these things and that's where I'm concerned.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:00 pm Where are the podcasts, and appearances on local sports radio, etc? IMO this is absolutely part of vetting for the new coach ... but we also need the budget to do these things and that's where I'm concerned.
You don't need a budget for a lot of this stuff. I know for a fact that Marshall was asked to appear on multiple podcasts, and not only did he decline, just ignored those requests.

A coach can build his brand (and that of the school) with zero budget. Just being available and willing to talk hoops.

As for the Courant- I'd bet if Donyell Marshall called Mike Anthony and said "hey, want to write about our incoming recruiting class?", there would have been a story in the HC. He just didn't want to bother.

It's not hard. Anthony Latina is great at this- you can search and find dozens of interviews he's given. It costs $0, just some time and willingness from the head coach (and assistants!).
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Yeah, but is is like the Hartford WBB coach is up for that job. Sucks but that is the reality of P5 and everyone else.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

The Binghamton selection of an interim head coach makes a lot more sense now - the AD just "stepped down" to spend more time with his family.

You now have 2 athletics programs in America East in worse shape than CCSU - Binghamton and Hartford. 👍

Once we hire a new HC and get Tom as AD, we are in a great position to move the athletic program to the top of the NEC and beyond!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I thought this was interesting; new Penn State coach Micah Shrewsberry hired Brian Snow, previously a recruiting analyst for 247 Sports, as his Director of Recruiting. https://twitter.com/PennStateMBB/status ... 97127?s=20

THIS is what I've been talking about. No, CCSU won't have the budget for a Director of Recruiting (or a Director of Analytics like Grasso had previously at Bryant). But for a school like Penn State, which has competitive disadvantages in the B1G, you HAVE to be thinking outside of the box to win.

I think Billmeier and Sorrentine would likely be imaginative in seeking to find advantages, and Curran would probably do some of that. I get the sense that Sellers and Jefferson would be more traditionally/conventional. I could be wrong, of course.

I know, I know- the panel isn't getting involved in that stuff. But, in my opinion, they should be. Finding ways to use analytics/technology/new techniques to make the the sum become more than the parts.

It may not work at Penn State. But doing it the old fashioned way hasn't worked either.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:29 pm I thought this was interesting; new Penn State coach Micah Shrewsberry hired Brian Snow, previously a recruiting analyst for 247 Sports, as his Director of Recruiting. https://twitter.com/PennStateMBB/status ... 97127?s=20

THIS is what I've been talking about. No, CCSU won't have the budget for a Director of Recruiting (or a Director of Analytics like Grasso had previously at Bryant). But for a school like Penn State, which has competitive disadvantages in the B1G, you HAVE to be thinking outside of the box to win.

I think Billmeier and Sorrentine would likely be imaginative in seeking to find advantages, and Curran would probably do some of that. I get the sense that Sellers and Jefferson would be more traditionally/conventional. I could be wrong, of course.

I know, I know- the panel isn't getting involved in that stuff. But, in my opinion, they should be. Finding ways to use analytics/technology/new techniques to make the the sum become more than the parts.

It may not work at Penn State. But doing it the old fashioned way hasn't worked either.
I agree 10000%.... you need a hungry candidate for a gig like this at CCSU... one that first loves the game.. more than likely has played at... and has a zest for finding the right talent that fits what you're trying to accomplish (student athlete development from boyhood to manhood...)