NEC/NCAA Tournament

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

NEC/NCAA Tournament

Post by ccsuhoops »

Just getting to these games now. Dang SHU 😬😬😬. Freakin Wagner, seem to always have a home game. Not that it matters today but still annoying as they always seem to win.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: NEC/NCAA Tournament

Post by ccsuhoops »

Boy oh boy did the second game not disappoint! Wagner killed themselves with some terrible shot selection in the final three minutes and some God awful free throws in the final minute. Bryant got a gift.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Look at UHart getting to the finals, that must feel nice... 😔
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:56 pm Look at UHart getting to the finals, that must feel nice... 😔
2nd year in a row for the Hawks - last season's AE Finals were cancelled due to COVID.

Clearly, CCSU has its own issues and we've been down for the last decade, but call me what you want, but I rather see UMass-Lowell win. Sure, a recent D-II program that joined America East instead of us, but I think that's better than a program 10 miles away. :D

As I posted somewhere else, even though CCSU hasn't been to the NCAAs since 2007 - that's still better than Hartford, Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart and Fairfield :)

----
In the NEC, I'm rooting for The Mount. I have a great deal of respect for that program. I've loved their coaches - Phelan, Milan Brown, Jamion Christian, and now Dan Engelstad. They have a nice little facility in Emmitsburg, and like CCSU a small, but supportive local fan base.

Lots of respect for what Bashir Mason has done at Wagner, and no doubt Grasso is turning out to be a very good as well. Much rather see MSM win than Bryant in our backyard.
CTHoopsFan15
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by CTHoopsFan15 »

The NEC Championship should be a great match-up! 2 programs in Bryant and The Mount that are clearly on the rise with 2 very talented young coaches. 2 coaches who are perfect examples of what the CCSU department should aspire to hire. The fact that these programs haven't once faced each other this season is fascinating as well. Two very contrasting styles as well as Bryant likes to get up and run while still comfortable in their half courts sets. They want to live in the 80's to find success where as The Mount is much more methodical in their approach offensively and really focus their efforts on defense.

I have a feeling that Bryant comes out on top in this one. I think they are just to talented on the offensive side and while home court advantage certainly doesn't mean as much this year as opposed to years past an offensive minded team always has more success in their own gym instead of on the road.

My prediction - Bryant 78 Mount 65
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

NEC gets the 🐷 again...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:20 pm NEC gets the 🐷 again...
I'm very pro-"NEC in the PIG".

Opportunity to earn NCAA Tourney credits for the league (and each school in it). A "regular" 16-seed has close to zero chance of earning $$.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

I like the PIG.
oink, oink...
Its an opportunity to get a post season win.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Totally get why they got it this year and agree from the dollars stand point but if I had my way? I’d want 22 wins, quality ooc wins and all guns blazing going in as a 14 seed 😝
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:41 pm Totally get why they got it this year and agree from the dollars stand point but if I had my way? I’d want 22 wins, quality ooc wins and all guns blazing going in as a 14 seed 😝
Correct. A First Four appearance in a PIG is better than a true #16 seed.

However, I think a 14 seed is what you are shooting for if you really want to make a statement in March! CCSU is one of the few NEC teams that earned a #14 and #15 seed. It can be done!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Totally get why they got it this year and agree from the dollars stand point but if I had my way? I’d want 22 wins, quality ooc wins and all guns blazing going in as a 14 seed
Of course I would rather be a 14 seed. Let's face it, that means that the "experts" think you have a better team, that's why you are not a 16. Have there been PIGS with seeds other than 15 or 16?

That being said, I think that a NEC team would probably need more than 22 wins to get to a 14 seed. Maybe 25 would do it, with some competitive games against quality opponents. Since that is going to be atypical for an NEC team, I would welcome a PIG game anytime!
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

I do NOT consider a PIG win a tournament win. Even if the field were to expand to 128, I'd still say the NEC hasn't won in the tournament (until it won in that 2nd round).
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

jcframingham wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:16 pm I do NOT consider a PIG win a tournament win. Even if the field were to expand to 128, I'd still say the NEC hasn't won in the tournament (until it won in that 2nd round).
That's fine.

The official records consider it an NCAA win. And, more importantly, the pay outs consider it an NCAA tournament win.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Freakin Mount 🤦🏻‍♂️
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Go Colgate! Sitting here dreaming it was us 😂