Jamir Reed has entered the transfer portal

Post by BigBlue92 »

Another one gone.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Jamir Reed has entered the transfer portal

Post by ccsuhoops »

At this point I’d prefer not to see Scantlebury, Outlaw, Baker and Ayumgma leave. The rest...
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

Krishnan? Or did I miss something?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:14 am At this point I’d prefer not to see Scantlebury, Outlaw, Baker and Ayumgma leave. The rest...
This is a tough one. A new coach may want to start from scratch, especially considering the rumors suggest there were a lot of off the court/academic issues. I don't know HOW, exactly, but it's easy to go back and look at who missed games.

At the same time, every coach would want a super athletic wing (Outlaw), a knock-down shooter (Krishnan), a dynamic scorer (Baker), and an athletic rim-protector (Wallace). Scantlebury is different; as a high usage PG, he wouldn't fit every coach's style of play. Some? Sure.

Guys like Newkirk and Ola are really strong academically, so it would make sense for a new coach (and the administration) to want to keep them around as back-ups.

Given that Ayangma had his senior night, I'd assume he's gone.

There will be so many players in the Transfer Portal, that a new coach could wipe the slate clean and have no issue finding 11-13 new scholarship players. Five years ago Marshall was scraping he bottom of the barrel in April trying to find guys, most of whom did not work out. That won't be the case this season.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

I would think that the new coach would like to recruit some of his own guys, but too many openings could be problematic. Probably a mix of returnees (with certain proven skills and experience) and newcomers would be best. Filling more than five or six openings could mean a longer "rebuilding" period.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

What are the rules around this. Do they have to take whoever is left? I believe they do right? Or can they clear the slate? Would be tough for all if a coach doesn’t like an inherited player, the kid would never see any playing time and the coach is basically down one or more options.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:50 pm What are the rules around this. Do they have to take whoever is left? I believe they do right? Or can they clear the slate? Would be tough for all if a coach doesn’t like an inherited player, the kid would never see any playing time and the coach is basically down one or more options.
Scholarships are annually renewable...meaning, a coach can tell a kid to go take a hike and the player has zero recourse.

Which is why I get so frustrated when fans complain about kids transferring or the fact that the NCAA will likely get rid of the mandatory sit-out period for 1st year transfers. Coaches run kids off teams all the time. The coach can pull a scholarship? Fine. But it should work both ways.

So yes, a new coach can clean the slate. Like I said, there is some talent here that a new coach would likely want. But again, there may be off the court issues that would make the new guy think twice, at least with a couple of them.

I've said it a few times but, the best thing for these players is to enter the Transfer Portal and see what their options are, while keeping an open-mind about returning.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Here is a story I heard: a friend of mine had a daughter who was dating a starting PG at her D1 college. He had transferred from another D1 school. When my friend asked him why he transferred, he said that the HC told him that they had recruited a freshman who was definitely going to be the starting PG and his services would not be needed next year.

That HC set him up for the transfer. He didn't have to do anything other than go to his "new" school, and his new HC was waiting for him.

He sat out a year and finished his career as the starting guard for his new school. And the freshman? he ended up being drafted by the NBA and played for several years with a few different teams.
That was at least ten years ago, but I am sure its pretty much the same now.

The point is that most HC's and AD's have a sense of obligation to recruits to get them a degree. D1 college sports is nevertheless a highly competitive performance based business and I am sure that there are some HC's out there that will just cut players loose and send them off on their own. But these coaches have networks and it is not a big deal to find a landing spot for a no longer needed player.