ccsuhoops wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:33 pm
Link not working for me at least…
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ball-coach
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by BigBlue92 »

Im sure we’ve all seen Ryan Jones’s article but...
https://centralrecorder.org/77267/sport ... all-coach/
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Well the analytic lovers will be over the moon now. By far the best article written on the subject. Very informative…
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:45 pm Well the analytic lovers will be over the moon now. By far the best article written on the subject. Very informative…
Yup.

I already love Pat Sellers!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:57 pm
ccsuhoops wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:45 pm Well the analytic lovers will be over the moon now. By far the best article written on the subject. Very informative…
Yup.

I already love Pat Sellers!
And his citing Greg McDermott from Creighton gives you some more insight in how he might take on this job. Sellers has worked with a lot of guys over the years, so he's learned a lot about what works (and what doesn't). I'm sure it will be a blend of everything he's taken in as an assistant.

What we do know is Pat is probably the most connected to college basketball networks that we've ever had. Marshall had NBA creds, but no coaching networks. Howie was known as a great recruiter, but worked 20 years at 2 schools (Canisius and UConn) for 3 coaches - Macarchuk, Perno, and Calhoun. Adams and Brown were younger assistants without a big networks.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 pm And his citing Greg McDermott from Creighton gives you some more insight in how he might take on this job. Sellers has worked with a lot of guys over the years, so he's learned a lot about what works (and what doesn't). I'm sure it will be a blend of everything he's taken in as an assistant.
Since 2011, Creighton has taken more than 40% of their shots from beyond the arc. McDermott is just one of 12 coaches in the country who have had that level of 3s. They've been in the Top 5 in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency 5 times since 2011.

https://hoopvision.substack.com/p/pace- ... -hv-weekly

The fact that he called out McDermott like that does give us a bit of insight. I wonder if Sellers will take the "Jared Grasso approach" of going after shooters with length. McDermott has historically surrounded a non-shooting 5 with 4 shooters, and it's worked well.

Fairfield was quite the opposite; they attempted just 35.5% of their shots from deep, and made them at a 31.5% clip. Perhaps Jay Young just realized they didn't have enough shooters so they shied away from perimeter shots, or he hasn't prioritized shooting. I have no idea, though I do know Young is more defensive minded (though they finished 10th in the 11-team MAAC in defensive efficiency).

I've always believed that the next coach needs to come up with a "style" and recruit to it, especially given the lack of resources. Sellers is a bright guy, and I'm sure he has an idea of how he wants to execute this rebuild.