Time to Start Naming Names...

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

CCSU MBB Coaching Search

Post by J.J. »

Now that it is official, let's track local and national news on the CCSU coaching search.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CCSU MBB Coaching Search

Post by Larryl9797 »

“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Don't underestimate who will be interested in the CCSU job!

When we last went through this search process 5 years ago, we had a deep and diverse pool of candidates. Let's not forget the interest we had - it was as good as anything at this level.

Jay Young, Patrick Sellers, Shaheen Holloway, Steve Curran, Jared Grasso, Andre LaFleur, and many others.
CTHoopsFan15
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by CTHoopsFan15 »

Hey CCSU hoops fans. New poster here but lifelong CT hoops fan. I follow all divisions and teams and love the college game. A lot is riding on the future of CCSU hoops with their next HC choice and I’m here to advocate for Mitch Oliver from Albertus Magnus.

I think CCSU should think outside the box and give this guy a chance. He is a proven winner and one of the most successful D3 coaches in the country. He is 273-94 in 13 seasons and is one of the tops all time in D3 winning percentage. He has proven that he can build a program from the ground up and can recruit with the best of them. To accomplish what he has at a small, private school like Albertus with very limited resources has been amazing to watch. I live in New Haven county and find myself at Albertus games often. Albertus was nothing before he arrived and now they are ranked nationally year in and year out and have had a number of All Americans and Conference POY year after year. They have won 7 conference championships and appeared in 10 straight conference championship games. Oliver's offense is exactly what today's players want to play in. It's fast paced and really fun to watch. The real CCSU fans on this board have seen it first hand dating back a few years when Albertus almost pulled off the major upset over CCSU.

Oliver spent 10 years on the D1 sidelines as an assistant with both Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart in the NEC and has major recruiting ties and connections at the highest of levels. He is more than familiar with the conference. 10 years as a D1 assistant and another 13 as a winning head coach. I would say he is more than qualified. I have no doubts that he would be able to inject top level talent immediately into the CCSU program. He coached current Bryant HC Jared Grasso while at QU and they coached together upon Grasso’s graduation. They are close friends and we all know how much success Grasso has had at Bryant in such a short period of time. Oliver would be able to do the exact same thing at Central. Simply put, he is a program builder which is exactly what CCSU needs now after the last fews seasons.

Interesting recruiting story that most probably don't know…...Oliver was able to land and sign CCSU great and all time leading scorer Kenny Horton to QU. Horton signed his national letter of intent with Oliver and QU but when QU made the decision to let Joe DeSantis go Horton chose CCSU and it's my understanding that Oliver was the one who made the call to Dickenman and advocated for him to sign Horton. So in some ways, he has already landed you one of the best players in program history and he will no doubt find you many more.

Again I really hope CCSU admins and the powers that be think outside the box and not just try and make another flashy hire which is exactly what Donyell Marshall was. Hire someone who can teach and execute the X’s and O’s and bring in talented players year after year. That hire would be Mitch Oliver.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

You're not going to find anybody on this board who was happy about the Donyell hire. Not sure how much you know about that situation, but Donyell was NOT the choice of the AD. Very few, if any, CCSU people were supportive of the hire from Day 1.
As for candidates, there are some great coaches out there. Personally, I wouldn't be thrilled with Oliver. Huge difference, going from D3 to D1.
First 3 phonecalls?
Patrick Sellers
Steve Curran
Tobin Anderson
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Welcome!

I think Oliver is an interesting candidate. He's a proven winner and recruiter at the D-I level. He will get a fair evaluation.

I think it's too early to pick a favorite. I'm very interested to see who shows interest in the position. I'm very excited to see how deep and varied the experience of coaches that apply.

I think it is very accurate to say that AD Pincince and COO Cintorino are going into the search process with open eyes. Last time the AD (Schlickmann) had a favorite (Jay Young) from a previous job and the CAO (Bachoo) has his favorite (Marshall). And before that, CJ Jones brought in his best friend Howie - a perfect fit!

But this will truly be the first "open" search since 1991. A very exciting time for CCSU basketball fans!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

CTHoopsFan15 wrote: I’m here to advocate for Mitch Oliver from Albertus Magnus.
I still am a Patrick Sellers fan, he is my first choice. And its not because he is a Central alum.

However, you present an excellent case for Mitch Oliver. So if Sellers is not interested or things don't work out, I would think that Mitch Oliver would be an excellent choice.
CTHoopsFan15
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by CTHoopsFan15 »

hilltopper wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:38 pm
I still am a Patrick Sellers fan, he is my first choice. And its not because he is a Central alum.

However, you present an excellent case for Mitch Oliver. So if Sellers is not interested or things don't work out, I would think that Mitch Oliver would be an excellent choice.
Absolutely! My intention wasn't to come off as just dismissing Sellers or anyone with connections to the school. It was simply to make my case for why I believe Oliver would be an excellent choice and deserves a fair shake as a potential candidate for the job. Sellers has more than proven himself and should be at the top of the list as well! This will be a fascinating search for sure!
CTHoopsFan15
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by CTHoopsFan15 »

J.J. wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:07 pm Welcome!

I think Oliver is an interesting candidate. He's a proven winner and recruiter at the D-I level. He will get a fair evaluation.

I think it's too early to pick a favorite. I'm very interested to see who shows interest in the position. I'm very excited to see how deep and varied the experience of coaches that apply.

I think it is very accurate to say that AD Pincince and COO Cintorino are going into the search process with open eyes. Last time the AD (Schlickmann) had a favorite (Jay Young) from a previous job and the CAO (Bachoo) has his favorite (Marshall). And before that, CJ Jones brought in his best friend Howie - a perfect fit!

But this will truly be the first "open" search since 1991. A very exciting time for CCSU basketball fans!
Thanks for the Welcome!

How about The Mount with the upset today! There HC Dan Engelstad, a former D3 HC at Southern Vermont who just like my pick in Mitch Oliver had D1 experience and turned a small D3 program into a winner. Many similarities there and I can argue that Oliver has had even more success!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Mitch has killed it at Albertus Magnus for sure. My concern is; could he recruit here? Most of his kids are from CT, which wouldn't work at CCSU, and it's been 14 years since he's had to leave the area to get kids.

I don't know much about his style, or why he's been there so long (surely there would have been D2 offers at some point?), but the results are certainly impressive.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

hilltopper wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:38 pm

I'll go on the record now about Pat Sellers. I don't know him, never saw him play, and never met him - but I have a great deal of respect for his resume and connection to the school. He was a standout when he played here and he committed when when we had no resources and were a lowly Independent without AQ access. Yes, absolutely the program was lower than it is today. He played professionally overseas, built a solid career as an assistant at multiple D-I schools, including at Central during our 2000 and 2002 Championships. Later, he was treated so poorly by Calhoun and UConn program, he was literally thrown under the bus and banished to Siberia (well, China). His professional reputation was tarnished publicly and yet as we know he was fully exonerated. He continues to be a solid assistant and I think he has the ethics, basketball background, and professional experience to be successful HC at Central.

All that being said, I'm not offering him the job just yet. This is a business and a competitive one. We need someone who is going to WIN and do it the right right way within the limitations and challenges we have. Does that mean Pat is the best man for the job - we do not know yet. But I'd love to see him give it another shot with the panel and see how he stacks against the competition. Even if he wasn't ultimately selected for the HC position, he's a guy I would love to have on the bench and helping the program in some manner.

I am putting my faith in the process. We have an AD that knows what it takes for a coach to be successful here. Tom P. has seen the good, the bad, and the ugly here. Hopefully, the President has been well informed of the debacle last time (prior to her arrival) and this process is done the right way. If that is the case, we will be fine. This is going to be a sought after job for a wide variety of coaches locally and regionally. The AD and the panel is going to pick the best candidate regardless of their previous affiliation to any school.
CTHoopsFan15
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by CTHoopsFan15 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:24 pm Mitch has killed it at Albertus Magnus for sure. My concern is; could he recruit here? Most of his kids are from CT, which wouldn't work at CCSU, and it's been 14 years since he's had to leave the area to get kids.

I don't know much about his style, or why he's been there so long (surely there would have been D2 offers at some point?), but the results are certainly impressive.
Mitch has serious NY and NJ recruiting ties. He has many connections with some of the tops programs in those states. Albertus has had standouts from Hudson Catholic and Cardinal Hayes, just to name a few. Over the years more than half his rosters have been made up of NY/NJ talent and he has proven that he can land JUCO transfer at a very high rate as well. That has allowed him to reload every year at Albertus. His success has allowed him to never have to rebuild, just reload because of the type of recruiter he is.

Eian Davis, Victor Ljuljdjuraj, Grant Ellis, Tavon Sledge, Shontaey Lovell, Amir Maddred the list really goes on and on. All out of state recruits who came in as freshman or were landed as JUCO transfers. The last thing I would be worried about when considering Oliver would be his ability to evaluate and recruit.

Also, just to ask your opinion on this, why wouldn't recruiting the state of CT work for a school such as CCSU? I think we have a number of really talented HS and especially Prep programs here in CT with tons of talent just looking to stay close to home and make an impact for a program such as CCSU? New Britain's own Darius Watson comes to mind.....a 4 year standout for Mitch Oliver at Albertus, 2000 point scorer and All American who 100% would have been an impact player for the Blue Devils.
ccsutaf
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by ccsutaf »

Oliver is an interesting candidate. I think one reason he wasn't considered was that 5 years ago his now ex wife was the head womens basketball coach at LIU at the time. She was subsequently fired from that job in addition to the divorce. It may have given the powers to be an excuse to eliminate Oliver at the time.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CTHoopsFan15 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:16 pm Also, just to ask your opinion on this, why wouldn't recruiting the state of CT work for a school such as CCSU? I think we have a number of really talented HS and especially Prep programs here in CT with tons of talent just looking to stay close to home and make an impact for a program such as CCSU? New Britain's own Darius Watson comes to mind.....a 4 year standout for Mitch Oliver at Albertus, 2000 point scorer and All American who 100% would have been an impact player for the Blue Devils.
That's a great question and we could start a new thread on Connecticut H.S. recruits at CCSU.

Since CCSU's move to D-I for the 1986-87, we have done pretty poorly recruiting in-state talent. With few exceptions, CT kids have never really wanted to come here - and I'm not sure why. All coaches have done poorly in this regard.

Even in Howie's 20 seasons, he had very few "impact" in-state players. Rick Mickens (Newington) was by far the best in-state player in the D-I era. But Rick wasn't recruited by anyone else, as Howie famously said he was recruiting against Stop & Shop.

I can only even think of a two other significant Dickenman era players - Lenny Jefferson (Norwalk) and Chris Baskerville (Hartford)

Back in 1992, Mark Adams signed Dexter Bennet (Stamford) a highly regarded recruit, but he got in trouble with the law and never played.

Honestly, other than Vin Baker (Old Saybrook) at Univ. of Hartford, what in-state "mid-major" recruits have we missed on that decided to stay in Connecticut?

At the D-I level, Connecticut kids generally don't want to stay in-state. Its not like Hartford, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, or Sacred Heart has out-recruited us in this area. Connecticut kids stay home at a much higher rate in D-II and D-III. Keeping in-state talent at CCSU isn't a plan for success.
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

We need a coach who can do a lot with a little. Period.
Question #1 for any candidate for this job HAS to be,
“The program has been down. There’s been cuts to the budget. You’ll need to utilize every advantage. Therefore, how would you use analytics as a recruiting tool, evaluation barometer, and player motivator?”
Any answer other than, “Analytics will drive everything we do—from who we recruit to the shots we take to the way we evaluate our successes and failures to the conversations we have with our players,” should automatically disqualify any candidate imo.