Time to Start Naming Names...

Lets talk some Hoops!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by hilltopper »

Pat Summit died like 5 years ago.
That would probably rule her out. But don't be discouraged we will keep looking for the mystery PS.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Via HoopDirt:

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-4-16-21/

"I have heard that first round interviews at Central Connecticut will wrap up this week with a group of 4-6 coaches. This one will be entering it’s sixth week – one of the longest searches to date this off-season. Will have a better idea of who is headed to the next round shortly."
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:21 am Via HoopDirt:

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-4-16-21/

"I have heard that first round interviews at Central Connecticut will wrap up this week with a group of 4-6 coaches. This one will be entering it’s sixth week – one of the longest searches to date this off-season. Will have a better idea of who is headed to the next round shortly."
Yeah, but we all know that the "real" open date (and when the clock actually started ticking) was on 4/15, not 3/6 when they announced DM was stepping down. While it has been very slow, the process moved along well before the contract actually expired. Tom and company are not sitting on their hands.

Personally, I would like to hear the names of the 4-6 finalist in the news this weekend and hopefully announce a new head coach by next Friday (4/23).

As a comparison, Howie announced his retirement of February 18, 2016. Donyell was not announced as the new head coach until April 6, 2016 - about 7 weeks.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Mike Anthony drops a little story. Again, not much info there. Curran and Sellers appear to be the finalists, which is what we've thought all along.

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/artic ... 106255.php
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

You can't go wrong either way with either Sellers or Curran.. They both make too much sense here.... That Bonnies A-10 Championship put Curran is a solid spot with you guys... AND, he's been doing this coaching thing primarily at this level of D1 Ball pretty much his entire career.. That's a strong strong argument...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I continue to believe that Curran would kill it here, and Sellers would be solid.

I also continue to believe that the administration will be more comfortable with the "intangibles" Sellers brings, which is why he will ultimately get the job.

But Curran will get a HC gig in the next few years, and we will see him have a ton of success.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:12 pm I continue to believe that Curran would kill it here, and Sellers would be solid.

I also continue to believe that the administration will be more comfortable with the "intangibles" Sellers brings, which is why he will ultimately get the job.

But Curran will get a HC gig in the next few years, and we will see him have a ton of success.
Fair assessment and personally I don't disagree with that thinking one bit.

Ultimately, this process (while somewhat slow), is putting forward some really good candidates that can succeed here. There also may be a longshot or two we haven't heard yet.

I continue to think this program can be turned around quickly (just a few seasons) with the "right guy." I also think there are more than one "right guys" out there - its isn't finding the one and only or "perfect" fit. Unfortunately, one (and less likely both) of these guys will NOT get the job. Doesn't mean they wouldn't also do well here or anywhere else.

It is good to have tough choices!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:27 pm I continue to think this program can be turned around quickly (just a few seasons) with the "right guy." I also think there are more than one "right guys" out there - its isn't finding the one and only or "perfect" fit. Unfortunately, one (and less likely both) of these guys will NOT get the job. Doesn't mean they wouldn't also do well here or anywhere else.

It is good to have tough choices!
Yes, Yes, Yes.

It feels "gross" to go on record that I'd prefer someone else to Sellers. THAT'S NOT A KNOCK ON SELLERS!!! I like Pat, think he will be good here, and have no issues with him being named head coach (if that happens).

I just happen to prefer Curran and a couple of others to Sellers.

If Sellers is the next HC, I'll be cheering him in November at Detrick Gym, and will 100% open-minded.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

FYI I just received some intel. I can't divulge much, but in addition to the reported names of Sellers and Curran as finalists, there are 2 who have been mentioned on this site before (1 by me, 1 by someone else). Neither are on the Big Board, and neither have been discussed much.

I'm sworn to secrecy, but I'll let you guys speculate.
callmecasual
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by callmecasual »

Eaton?
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

I'm going out on a limb and say Andre LaFleur ... uncle of current NY Mets INF Dominic Smith, former UConn, PC, and UNLV Basketball Assistant Coach
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

My guess is that Matt Kingsley is one of them. (Edit: I see he is on the Big Board, but I still like him anyway!)

https://yalebulldogs.com/sports/mens-ba ... gsley/1007

I think he's a very strong candidate. Like Curran and Sellers he's an assistant, not a current HC, but think he would be a very strong candidate for us.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

callmecasual wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:32 pmEaton?
Makes sense. HC experience at D-II level and spent a long time as an assistant at Quinnipiac and Albany.

Certainly qualified, but doesn't make me excited at all, but that may be my QU bias.

Outside of the 2 names we know - I like Kingsley and Donnelly as longshots.
callmecasual
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by callmecasual »

Kevin Freeman is stepping down at UConn...is it him? I'm sure they wouldn't hire two UConn alum in a row, but it's pretty fun timing.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I promise I'm not trying to be coy or a PITA, just protecting a source while dropping a nugget to chew on.

JJ- I'm really hoping that Donnelly is a finalist, and I agree that Kingsley is an intriguing option. However, both are on the Big Board, and are not the names I was referring to (that does not mean they are not finalists, I've just not heard that they are).

The other guys...Eaton, LaFleur, Freeman...nope.

JJ is on the right track with the Kingsley suggestion. Right forest, wrong tree.

The other guy did play college basketball in the State of CT.