Re: Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by ccsuhoops »

Burrell?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:28 pm I promise I'm not trying to be coy or a PITA, just protecting a source while dropping a nugget to chew on.

JJ- I'm really hoping that Donnelly is a finalist, and I agree that Kingsley is an intriguing option. However, both are on the Big Board, and are not the names I was referring to (that does not mean they are not finalists, I've just not heard that they are).

The other guys...Eaton, LaFleur, Freeman...nope.

JJ is on the right track with the Kingsley suggestion. Right forest, wrong tree.

The other guy did play college basketball in the State of CT.
No harm - this is kinda fun :) Curran and Sellers were almost a given, so this let's us look at the depth and interest in the job outside of those two.

Based on your hint and down the Kingsley path - "right forest, wrong tree" I'm going with .... T.J. Sorrentine, Brown assistant former Vermont star.

And for the former college player from CT .... maybe Luke Murray, Fairfield grad and Louisville assistant.

If that's our "Final Four" we really can't go wrong. First, that is called "winning the press conference" and proves what a good job this is. Young assistants want to come here and help re-build a program. Again, I expect the final candidates names to get out in the media at some point, but it will be a highly qualified pool with diversity and strong resumes. At some point, all 4 of these guys will (or should be) a head coach somewhere.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Jeff Jacobs just tweeted an update that did include Donnelley, Kingsley and a few others ...
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Luke Murray would be cool... he's great friends with the son of a work colleague of mine.. He also went to my kid's alma mater (St Lukes in New Canaan)... That'd be a HUGE pick... BUT, realize this, he's more like a Dan Hurley type... Make his mark and move on.... It'd be a great move, short term though.... It'd probably be a move that would get the fans riled up again..

( BTW you guys do know who is dad is, right???? Mr. Scrooged himself)
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

J.J. wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:52 pm Jeff Jacobs just tweeted an update that did include Donnelley, Kingsley and a few others ...
Donnelly, a D2 coach, is CT bread (literally).... I get why he's being considered because of that alone, even though he's D2... BUT, dude is putting up a pretty good resume...

I still think it's out of Sellers and Curran though.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J.- you were 1 for 2. Nice job!!

Also...Grant Billmeier?! I has floated that name to a media acquaintance before Marshall was officially let go and he kind of laughed at me. I really don't know how you say no to Billmeier. He's a stud who is incredibly respected.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:48 am J.J.- you were 1 for 2. Nice job!!

Also...Grant Billmeier?! I has floated that name to a media acquaintance before Marshall was officially let go and he kind of laughed at me. I really don't know how you say no to Billmeier. He's a stud who is incredibly respected.
Based on another clue, I think I have another name to add ;) - Kelvin Jefferson, HC at D-II Gannon (Pa.) He wasn't on my radar at all, but again, is a highly qualified candidate.

Kelvin is formerly the HC at South Kent Prep in Connecticut, was an D-I assistant at Old Dominion, American, Colgate, Stony Brook, and Vermont and has D-III experience at Merchant Marine (Kings Point), Salem State (Mass.), and Wesleyan. He is from Norwalk and played at Southern Connecticut.

https://gannonsports.com/staff-director ... ferson/284
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

J.J. wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:37 am

Based on another clue, I think I have another name to add ;) - Kelvin Jefferson, HC at D-II Gannon (Pa.) He wasn't on my radar at all, but again, is a highly qualified candidate.

Kelvin is formerly the HC at South Kent Prep in Connecticut, was an D-I assistant at Old Dominion, American, Colgate, Stony Brook, and Vermont and has D-III experience at Merchant Marine (Kings Point), Salem State (Mass.), and Wesleyan. He is from Norwalk and played at Southern Connecticut.

JJ is like a bloodhound tracking down a scent.Total focus!
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

J.J. wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:37 am

DUDE! How many times did I mention my boy (childhood friend/neighbor) on this board??? How many???? Kelvin is HUNGRY... He breeds basketball... Somebody please find my posts.. Please.... I initially mentioned him once DM got canned... He's got all the credentials (another St. Luke's Grad like Luke Murray)... Once he graduated from SCSU he actually started out as a sports columnist (brief stint)... for, and don't get me to lying, but I think it was The New Haven Register... I'm pretty sure it was... Once he got that gig at S Kent, in my mind, with all the kids he coached that made it to the NBA, I knew he was, at the very least, destined to be a D1 Coach....

He's a nice option for this program. He's from here... and he can indeed coach. The only knock I have on him right now is if he's the exact fit here (with all the down years this program has had)... He's got the pedigree to succeed though... Don't think you'd go wrong here... He relates well to youth... He knows how to recruit... Don't see him as a guy to recruit anything like DM, where you end up having rebuilt starting 5 year in and year out... Plus he's got a kid that may probably join him (his son... if he ends up being the pick), who's currently in prep school...

Me, personally, of course I'm a fan.. That's my boy... If the AD is looking longterm for this D1 opportunity, it'd probably be like a dream opportunity for Kelvin.... I think, longterm (give by year 3) folks will be happy.. much happier then what's transpired the last 5 years...
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: CCSU MBB Coaching Search

Post by ktuck911 »

ktuck911 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:46 pm I was rooting hard for you guys to look into childhood/neighborhood friend Kelvin Jefferson (now Head Coach at D2 Gannon) because of all he's done and who he coached (at S. Kent, prep school up state, which has produced quite a bit of NBA talent), but I don't think he'd want to come back here for this job... Just not a good fit... Sellers is the better fit...
If the whispers on another thread on this board are correct then perhaps I was half right in my assessment here...or I was basically onto something here....
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I have it on decent authority that the 4 names are Sellers, Curran, Sorrentine, and Jefferson. I'm nearly 100% confident on Curran and Sellers, closer to 70% on the other two. I still feel like there's a chance Kinsgley and/or Donnelly remain involved, but I'm just not sure right now.

Jefferson is a surprise to me; a ton of experience, but hasn't really crushed it at Gannon (yet). He went 10-4 this past season (shortened because of Covid, obviously), and was 14-13 in his first year. John Reilly had Gannon rolling, though his final season wasn't a great one (11-18). Context is everything, and perhaps Jefferson took over a program in shambles and quickly rebuilt it. I honestly do not know. His resume doesn't match Donnelly or Tobin Anderson, but I'd be willing to bet that he killed it in the interview. Also; is he related to former Blue Devil Lenny Jefferson? Brother? Uncle? They're both from Norwalk. Lenny is the Associate HC at Winchendon right now. I wonder if Kelvin would bring Lenny on staff?

Sorrentine is highly thought of at Brown and makes a tremendous "high upside" candidate. Smart, experienced, relationship-builder.

I think I'd rank them: 1) Curran, 2) Sellers, 3) Sorrentine, 4) Jefferson.

But as I keep saying; I'll be 100% thrilled with any of them. I just can't wait for one of them to get started.

Edit: Update- https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/ ... 68171?s=20

Add Billmeier as a finalist, so that's 5. Billmeier/Curran would be my 1a and 1b. Tough to go wrong here.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:01 pm I have it on decent authority that the 4 names are Sellers, Curran, Sorrentine, and Jefferson. I'm nearly 100% confident on Curran and Sellers, closer to 70% on the other two. I still feel like there's a chance Kinsgley and/or Donnelly remain involved, but I'm just not sure right now.

Jefferson is a surprise to me; a ton of experience, but hasn't really crushed it at Gannon (yet). He went 10-4 this past season (shortened because of Covid, obviously), and was 14-13 in his first year. John Reilly had Gannon rolling, though his final season wasn't a great one (11-18). Context is everything, and perhaps Jefferson took over a program in shambles and quickly rebuilt it. I honestly do not know. His resume doesn't match Donnelly or Tobin Anderson, but I'd be willing to bet that he killed it in the interview. Also; is he related to former Blue Devil Lenny Jefferson? Brother? Uncle? They're both from Norwalk. Lenny is the Associate HC at Winchendon right now. I wonder if Kelvin would bring Lenny on staff?

Sorrentine is highly thought of at Brown and makes a tremendous "high upside" candidate. Smart, experienced, relationship-builder.

But as I keep saying; I'll be 100% thrilled with any of them. I just can't wait for one of them to get started.
No - I do not think Kelvin is related to Lenny. At least I've never read or heard of that anywhere before, and you would think that would have come up before.

I'm very happy with that Final Four (if it is accurate) and would have absolutely no problem with any selection.

Personally, I would rank them: Sellers, Curran, (Donnelly), Jefferson, (Kingsley), Sorrenitine.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

J.J. wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:09 pm
CCSU4-3 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:01 pm I have it on decent authority that the 4 names are Sellers, Curran, Sorrentine, and Jefferson. I'm nearly 100% confident on Curran and Sellers, closer to 70% on the other two. I still feel like there's a chance Kinsgley and/or Donnelly remain involved, but I'm just not sure right now.

No - I do not think Kelvin is related to Lenny. At least I've never read or heard of that anywhere before, and you would think that would have come up before.

I'm very happy with that Final Four (if it is accurate) and would have absolutely no problem with any selection.

Personally, I would rank them: Sellers, Curran, (Donnelly), Jefferson, (Kingsley), Sorrenitine.
It's a good chance they are related folks... Just confirmed it with my wife (she's distant relatives to the Jeffersons in fact).. they're 1st cousins....
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

BTW I've heard one on-campus interview per day this week with a decision coming Sunday/Monday.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

If Sorrentine were hired and named Taylor Coppenrath an assistant, we'd have coaches who, as players, put a mid-major on the map!