Time to Start Naming Names...

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Time to Start Naming Names...

Post by J.J. »

I don't think anyone is suggesting we should select Sellers only BECAUSE he played and coached here - he has the be the "best fit" for the job, period. Personally, I think his experience here as a player and a coach makes him very well positioned to be a successful coach here. We have discussed this a million times, but if you can't navigate the unique and challenging administrative environment at CCSU, you will not be successful here (See: HC Donyell Marshall and AD Brian Barrio)

This is more than a basketball coach - it is the university's 2nd highest paid and arguably the most prominent position at the school. This is more than Xs and Os basketball strategy. I would be happy with ANY selection off this list (but probably have a lot more questions if it was TJ).

I'm much more concerned about their individual "fit" and their plans as a head coach. Grasso was a candidate for other jobs than CCSU that he didn't get (Iona, Fordham, Hofstra). Are we sure he would have the same success at those schools or was Bryant the right fit? Holloway has turned around St. Peter's in N.J. a few miles away from where he was a superstar at Seton Hall. Would his current success have translated in New Britain? I think it would, but we just don't know.

Billmeier may certainly be the best "coach" of the list, but can he be successful here with our limitations? Why wasn't he a candidate at Albany, Fordham, or Hofstra - why does he want to take over here? I'm not suggesting we shouldn't select him because he's an "outsider" to CCSU and the NEC (other than 1 year at FDU), but I would want to ensure that he knows everything he is signing up for and that means a lot of frank conversations between him and the AD and President.

Curran, like Sellers, has been on the bench in Detrick and knows the school. He's also been a candidate before and knows the AD staff, I have a lot more confidence that he would be successful at CCSU over Billmeier.

Jefferson is a Connecticut native, coached at South Kent, played at SCSU in New Haven. He's got HC experience at a D-II school that probably has similar resources to Central. Again, I have a lot more confidence that he has the understanding of the challenges he would face at CCSU.

I want to ensure the next coach is the BEST FIT for CCSU and that their expectations matches that of the Administration and resources available.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Lots of good dialogue here. Whomever is chosen biggest road block will be the “challenging administration” as JJ put it. How is that going to be fixed because it’s only going to get in the way of every coach. Why can’t they just accept that athletics and academics can work together to make the school better? Why the fight all the time?
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

Sorrentine and Kingsley don't come from scholarship programs. How much consideration should that receive, if any?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

jcframingham wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm Sorrentine and Kingsley don't come from scholarship programs. How much consideration should that receive, if any?
IMO it isn't a deal breaker, but it is a challenge coming from the Ivy's to CCSU and the NEC. It has more to do with the academics qualifications of the recruits, not the mechanics of scholarships.

Every alum is proud of their CCSU degree, but no one is confusing Central with Yale or Brown. The academics at those schools are nothing like what we can offer, so you are looking at a different pool of recruits. Of course a good coach can do it at both schools, but it would be very different and require some adjustments.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J.- I guess where you and I disagree is the idea of "fit". I think it's incredibly overrated. I think geographic fit is generally important; I wouldn't be in favor of hiring someone from the midwest, south, or west coast unless they were going to bring in a strong staff with ties to the area. But to me, using the word "fit" is just hand-waving, imo. I just refuse to believe that Sellers fits better than, say, Billmeier because he played here in 1992 and coached here in 2001. MAYBE he does, but I don't think he somehow has an ability to navigate the administrative environment at CCSU because of his experience here. That was a long time ago! We've gone through multiple Presidents and ADs since then, have cratered our budget when compared to other NEC schools, and have less support for athletics.

Curran? He's made a career out of recruiting New England kids (even at St. Bonaventure). Billmeier? He has ties to the tri-state area, and would surely bring in a couple of assistant coaches with ties to preps in New England (I have it on decent authority that he has ties of his own to NE preps). Plus he's known more for on-court coaching than recruiting chops, while Curran is more recruiter than anything (though in no way poor in other areas).

The other part you mentioned...the HC's "plan"...I agree with. I have to think that coaches who wanted to rebuild this thing quickly with grad transfers were quickly crossed off the list (maybe that's Donnelly?). You can't have a HC coming in expecting to do one thing and being told he can't do that thing. There needs to be Synergy there. So, to me, that's only part of the "fit" that I can get down with. And none of us know whose plan jives with the administration's expectations.

Which is why I think it's dangerous to suggest Sellers somehow fits better without knowing; a) what the administration/committee wants, and b) what his (or anyone else's) 5 year plan is to build a winner.

To me, a great coach can win anywhere. I 100% believe Grasso would have won here- he went in and recruited NYC like crazy, then coached them up. Would he have been as successful? Probably not; Bryant allowed him to hire a Director of Analytics, while we've struggled to put full staffs together.

Billmeier wasn't a finalist at Fordham or Hofstra, but neither was Sellers. Why did Jay Young get the Fairfield gig and not Sellers? It's dangerous to play that game.

Identify who the best BASKETBALL COACH is, then hire that guy. That's what I think they should do.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Again, these are some great discussions. No harm with disagreement or different perspective.

But let's be clear, we are all speculating and don't know how these candidates are presenting themselves to the panel. Since the panel and Tom P. has more information and the ability to ask questions, they are in a better position than we are in picking a new coach.

Second, a lot of what is discussed on Twitter and in blogs even by respected sportswriters is promotion of their friends and guys who get along with each other. And bigger programs like Seton Hall get more attention and respect.

The reason Jay Young was our selection last time and is currently the HC at Fairfield is because of Paul, period. I'm not suggesting Jay is a good or bad coach, a good fit or a bad fit anywhere - but he got the job because of Paul. That is the guy Paul trusted to run his basketball program at this level.

Just like in any professional endeavor, leadership likes to be surrounded by those that they know and trust. That is life. I'm not suggesting Pat is that guy and as I've said, I never even met him (or any other candidate), but we can't discount the trust we are putting in this position and therefore there will be many more factors than just "basketball coach"

If Billmeier, Curran, Jefferson, Sellers, or Sorrentine can earn the trust of the panel (and AD and President) they will be the next HC at Central Connecticut.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

Did they release a interview list for this position? I'd like to update the big board -->viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3995
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

Larryl9797 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:07 am Did they release a interview list for this position? I'd like to update the big board -->viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3995
I believe this is it...

Pat Sellers 1-1
Steve Curran 9-2
Grant Billmeier 5-1
Kelvin Jefferson 7-1
TJ Sorrentine 9-1
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

Oh wow, I'm just realizing now that I had a pretty long conversation with Kelvin Jones way back when he was at USMMA. He was recruiting at the Kingswood Invitational, was a nice guy. But I'd have to agree with those lower odds for him on this gig. We'll see.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Alright...Dumb question time here.

Is Kelvin Jefferson related to Lenny? They are both from Norwalk and they both have similar Twitter statements.

I couldn’t find anything in either bio.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

I think I read somewhere above Sky that they are cousins.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Skyhawkct wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:46 pm Alright...Dumb question time here.

Is Kelvin Jefferson related to Lenny? They are both from Norwalk and they both have similar Twitter statements.

I couldn’t find anything in either bio.
first cousins
BlueDevilsRule
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by BlueDevilsRule »

Now that UHart is going div 3 how about hiring UHart coach ?
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

BlueDevilsRule wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:10 pm Now that UHart is going div 3 how about hiring UHart coach ?
Easy answer...We already have a coach. (And Gal is still the coach at UHart. AND are you really that excited about a coach whose record is 157–187???)
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Plus Hartford should be really good next year (could be picked to win the AE). He would be silly to leave now. Could be in line for a bigger job 11 months from now.