Big Board!

Lets talk some Hoops!
wurzshep19
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Big Board!

Post by wurzshep19 »

4 people on a message board and 2 people on twitter doesn't make this a disgrace or an undesirable job. All of the candidates knew the amount of hoops that would need to be jumped through. As far as I've heard, the process is on track, and as JJ said we will all be celebrating soon enough.

As for missing out on players, I agree every day counts, but let's be real. This team is not going to be built through the transfer portal, maybe a a couple, maybe a JUCO here or there, but expect incoming freshmen, and at this point, any incoming freshmen who are out there either have no offers or are looking at lower levels. I'm not convinced any of the last 2 weeks makes a material difference 5 years from now.

It is what it is folks, the new coach will have their work cut out for them, and a chance to stamp their legacy on a program of their own. Soon....
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I don't disagree with anyone that there should be a quicker process, but this isn't as bad as we think. Other than the Dickenman hiring, which was planned behind the scenes and implemented in just days, previous vacancies take about 2 months to fill.

Bottom line, this is not news - this is just par for the course at CCSU.

Mike Brown resigned as head coach on June 21, 1991
(67 days)
Mark Adams named head coach on August 26, 1991

Mark Adams reassigned to a non-coaching position on April 15, 1996
(2 days)
Howie Dickenman named head coach on April 17, 1996

Howie Dickenman announces his retirement on February 18, 2016
(49 days)
Donyell Marshall named head coach on April 6, 2016

Donyell Marshall steps down as head coach on March 5, 2021
(60 days and counting)
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

wurzshep19 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 pm 4 people on a message board and 2 people on twitter doesn't make this a disgrace or an undesirable job. All of the candidates knew the amount of hoops that would need to be jumped through. As far as I've heard, the process is on track, and as JJ said we will all be celebrating soon enough.

As for missing out on players, I agree every day counts, but let's be real. This team is not going to be built through the transfer portal, maybe a a couple, maybe a JUCO here or there, but expect incoming freshmen, and at this point, any incoming freshmen who are out there either have no offers or are looking at lower levels. I'm not convinced any of the last 2 weeks makes a material difference 5 years from now.

It is what it is folks, the new coach will have their work cut out for them, and a chance to stamp their legacy on a program of their own. Soon....
Couldn't agree more!

I want this to happen, but I rather it be done right than fast. That means full engagement and sharing expectations between candidate and administration. Simply put, that takes some time and patience. And in fairness to us all, that is something that is in short supply with CCSU fans ;)

Second, the last thing I'm worried about is recruiting. The portal is filled with kids, plus because of COVID, there are lots of high school recruits that have fallen under the radar. We have a great chance to pick up someone we couldn't have recruited under regular circumstances.

Honestly, my only concern about the delay/timing of the announcement is putting together a staff. If the new coach can get 2 high quality assistants to come along, then I have no worries.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

ktuck911 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:16 pm
CCSU4-3 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:53 pm
J.J. wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:48 pm UConn has no impact on us. I think Connecticut HR policies and collective bargaining rules are the biggest hurdles. I imagine some CCSU reviews (Admin/Legal) also eat up some time.

Again, I'm not making excuses, but the "official" timeline began on 4/15. Anything done before that was preparatory in nature. The process doesn't start when it was announced that DM would not return. He was on contract through 4/15.

So we are just over 2 weeks, despite what bloggers, tweeters or anyone in the outside says.
To be clear, I'm aware that it's only been since 4/15, and that there are so many hoops to jump through.

My point is that; IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS WAY.

I understand that it IS this way. But that's what's embarrassing about it. It's a D1 job and we have to operate under rules as if we are hiring a project supervisor for a repair to I-91 or something.

Coaches across the country are rebuilding their rosters. Now the CCSU head coach is at least 6 weeks behind. Again, it's embarrassing.

If I were Steve Curran, I would NOT want this job. Maybe it still makes sense for Sellers. The other guys? I'd pass.
This... 10000% The fact that this is a D1 job, and CCSU as lagging behind everyone. Whatever talent left over for the Fall (and even next year) won't be available for the team... so, you're in for another extremely disappointing season... Less then 10 wins... again....
Are we able to quantify this? Meaning, is the portal shrinking in size and we will have less to choose from? Like for real or are we just ticked this is taking to long?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Aaaand it's Sellers.
callmecasual
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by callmecasual »

About time! Get to work
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Where’s the announcement? Can’t seem to find it
callmecasual
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by callmecasual »

ccsuhoops wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:40 am Where’s the announcement? Can’t seem to find it
https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/statu ... 61987?s=19

Nothing official, but nearly.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Great to hear! Looking forward to the official announcement on the website.

By the way, this hire should calm any fears of dropping out of D-1...at least for now. 🤞
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

How can I not take the word of a Blues Traveler fan! Nice!
callmecasual
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by callmecasual »

Hearst picked it up in all their Connecticut papers.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

My official stance:

- I preferred Steve Curran, who I think would have been a home run hire.
- I get why the school preferred Sellers. They should have hired him in 2016 over Marshall and Jay Young.
- Sellers should do fine as as a low-risk candidate, though I think he's less likely than Curran to win titles here.
- I'm 100% supportive of Sellers, and look forward to seeing how he'll run the program.
- There is a lot of pressure on the Athletic Department for Sellers to do well. I'm hopeful that means somewhat increased resources and a full allotment of coaches/scholarships.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:07 pm My official stance:

- I preferred Steve Curran, who I think would have been a home run hire.
- I get why the school preferred Sellers. They should have hired him in 2016 over Marshall and Jay Young.
- Sellers should do fine as as a low-risk candidate, though I think he's less likely than Curran to win titles here.
- I'm 100% supportive of Sellers, and look forward to seeing how he'll run the program.
- There is a lot of pressure on the Athletic Department for Sellers to do well. I'm hopeful that means somewhat increased resources and a full allotment of coaches/scholarships.
Not being a tool but for statements 1&3…why?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:22 pm Not being a tool but for statements 1&3…why?
Curran has a reputation as a killer recruiter, specifically in New England, and is also progressive/analytical. He is Mark Schmidt's right hand man at St. Bonaventure (some in the industry even view him as a co-head coach in some areas), and they've really built something special there.

Again; I'm not saying Sellers is the WRONG hire. I just preferred Curran.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Finally!
Sellers should have got the job in 2016.
So why did this take so long?
Reminds me of the time I was behind a guy at an ice cream stand. They had a board that had at least 25 flavors and the guy was just staring at the board obviously trying to decide on a flavor, finally after an eternity the vendor asked him "sir, what flavor?" to which he responded, "vanilla." #-o