Big Board!

Lets talk some Hoops!
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Big Board!

Post by Shoreline »

So the long and winding road that leads to CCSU’s door never did disappear. And Patrick Sellers had seen that road before. But now the journey is finally over and in the end Thomas Wolfe was wrong. Welcome home Patrick.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

So official word tomorrow or??????
newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite »

A new chapter begins!

A very exciting time for CCSU!

We have a lot going for us!
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 * 2019
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

At the risk of being stoned to death for being negative, I’m convinced that there’s a lot more to this whole story than simply “The committee wanted Pat, admin agreed, and it just happened to take a long time.”
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

I just think it had to do with the state university system being a cluster as opposed to ccsu. If we could just find one of those bottles with a 🧞‍♂️ in it, we could wish to be Connecticut State. Good ol State U!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:11 am I just think it had to do with the state university system being a cluster as opposed to ccsu. If we could just find one of those bottles with a 🧞‍♂️ in it, we could wish to be Connecticut State. Good ol State U!
I heard a rumor that the job was offered to someone else, and that someone else turned it down.

Could just be a rumor and nothing more. I've worked to confirm but have gotten nowhere. No that it matters in the end.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

I heard a rumor that the job was offered to someone else, and that someone else turned it down.
That would explain a lot. Perhaps there were negotiations with candidate A and they could not come to an agreement. I don't think there is anything unusual in that, I am sure that type of negotiation goes on all the time in college HC searches.
Anyway, we have a HC (official announcement?) so I hope the new leader can right the ship!
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

Being a state employee...... Hiring is slow and painful epically during this time of the year when budgets are basically depleted and new hire req's take forever to get thru fiscal..... Truth is Pat will be one of the higher paid employees in this fine state.
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

When’s the official announcement?? Why wait?
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

ccsuhoops wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:58 am When’s the official announcement?? Why wait?
Well, it’s a headline in the Courant yesterday. That’s sorta official I guess. I don’t subscribe on line so I couldn’t read the article.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

The school hasn't confirmed.

I'd bet they are still hammering out the contract, but the major pieces ($$/years, budget, etc) have been at least verbally agreed to.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Thanks Sky. I don’t even try to read the Courant. They make it near impossible to read online without a subscription. At least that’s what I’ve found. Waiting for the DM meeting that he had, news coverage etc.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:43 am
ccsuhoops wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:11 am I just think it had to do with the state university system being a cluster as opposed to ccsu. If we could just find one of those bottles with a 🧞‍♂️ in it, we could wish to be Connecticut State. Good ol State U!

Could just be a rumor and nothing more. I've worked to confirm but have gotten nowhere. No that it matters in the end.
Certainly possible but not probable. I could imagine a candidate may have withdrawan from consideration after a meeting with some officials if they didn't think adequate resources or commitment to the program was there. I doubt anyone waits to be offered and doesn't sign because of salary. Again, everyone goes into the process with a lot of info and probably has an idea on salary beforehand. That is usually not a deal breaker.

Remember one of the AD candidates withdrew as a finalist. I think they realized they weren't going to be successful here and it wasn't worth it. Again, it wasn't a salary decision, but a career one.

As far as I'm concerned, Pat appears to have beaten out a very qualified group on individuals. As we said, some good guys were not going to the job. It won't be long until a few of them are leading another team. Waiting for the official announcement, so we can move forward to the next chapter!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:25 pm Certainly possible but not probable. I could imagine a candidate may have withdrawan from consideration after a meeting with some officials if they didn't think adequate resources or commitment to the program was there. I doubt anyone waits to be offered and doesn't sign because of salary. Again, everyone goes into the process with a lot of info and probably has an idea on salary beforehand. That is usually not a deal breaker.

Remember one of the AD candidates withdrew as a finalist. I think they realized they weren't going to be successful here and it wasn't worth it. Again, it wasn't a salary decision, but a career one.

As far as I'm concerned, Pat appears to have beaten out a very qualified group on individuals. As we said, some good guys were not going to the job. It won't be long until a few of them are leading another team. Waiting for the official announcement, so we can move forward to the next chapter!
So I'd be SHOCKED if someone was offered this job and it was a flat out "no".

When I heard the rumor, my assumption was that it fell apart during contract negotiations. Again, I'd be pretty surprised if it had to do with the $$ or length of the contract, because the candidates going into this should have known around where the numbers would be (if you expected to get offered the gig and then try to get $500k/yr for 10 years you knew it wasn't going to happen).

IF this rumor is true, it must have had to do with some other part of the contract that they just couldn't handle. Perhaps it had to do with how many coaching positions they'd be allotted, or something that could potentially affect the next coach's ability to be competitive? That's pure speculation on my part, but it could be any number of things.

Like I said initially, in the end it really doesn't matter. The coach is the coach, and by all accounts we have a good one.

I can't wait to get more info, find out who his staff will be, and start filling out the roster.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Yep, we got a very good one. Someone who knows what it takes to win here and will do everything to rebuild this program the right way.

Sellers has a great reputation for recruiting everywhere he's been. With the portal and larger and untapped market for high school recruits, plus Juco and D-II transfers, I have no concerns about a roster. It will be interesting to track the kids he goes after and who signs, but by summer we will have the right players to go.

I'm most interested in his staff choices. Who does he call first to be his right-hand man as the top assistant? Who else does he bring in? And as you raise, do we get DOBO to add something new to the program. What other analytic non-coaching resources will he have? That is the fun part.

Then looking ahead to a schedule. I expect we will see some of the schools that got new coaches - UMBC, Fordham, Hofstra. Plus expected opponent like New Hampshire and Binghamton. What paycheck games do we get?