2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Post by J.J. »

COVID was an exceptional situation and caused many changes and adjustments to the 2020-21 non-conference schedule. I'm not sure what effect that will have on the contracts we had and what agreements were made to cancel or reschedule, but I'll start this thread to update things in the offseason.

CCSU played just 3 non-conference games in 2020-01:
at UConn - Huskies hosted CCSU for the first time since the 2015-16 season
vs. Army - Last-minute "Bubbleville" game at Mohegan Sun; unsure if a return games to either campus is planned
at Hartford - Final game of 6-year contract; hopefully this is renewed for another long-term home and home series

Additional games scheduled at Fordham and at Binghamton were cancelled. I would hope we get those opponents at Detrick this year.

Other games that were presumed on the 2020-01 docket and their current status is unknown:
vs. Dartmouth - Big Green should owe CCSU a return game from the 2019-20 game in Hanover
at Maine - Have played Black Bears the previous 5 seasons (3 at Detrick); should owe a trip to Orono
vs. UMass-Lowell - Have played the River Hawks the last 5 seasons (3 at Lowell); expect a game at Detrick
at New Hampshire - Likely owe a return game to Durham from the 2019-20 game in New Britain

Finally, I imagine the new coach will have some input on non-conference opponents and may use their connections to schedule a few games.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Post by hilltopper »

Finally, I imagine the new coach will have some input on non-conference opponents and may use their connections to schedule a few games.
So you are saying that we might be playing Fairfield? :D
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

hilltopper wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:15 pm
So you are saying that we might be playing Fairfield? :D
😂
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

First game of the Patrick Sellers era at CCSU is set! Central Connecticut will face UConn in Storrs to open the 2021-22 season.

IMO - this game should always be played in Hartford as Statewide event and celebration of college basketball in Connecticut. But I'll take this game in Storrs if I must :)
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Hate this game. Especially up in cowtown.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:30 pm Hate this game. Especially up in cowtown.
I disagree - love this game! Sure, I'm don't especially like the timing (first game) or location (Storrs) this year, but I'll take it anyway we can get it.

This is a great game and motivator for the players. We are D-I program and UConn is the Big Dog in the State. We shouldn't avoid them, but should embrace our role as underdog. This is why we went D-I. Otherwise we can be just like Hartford.

Doesn't Indiana State want to play at Indiana every year? Or how about UC Irvine taking on UCLA, or Eastern Illinois vs. Illinois. Intrastate rivalries even between David and Goliath is good for the school.

IMO - This should be an annual game, if possible - #GovernorsCup
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Sorry, don’t see crushing defeat, every single time, motivating. Not to fans and not to players. Football? Sure, bring them on, we have a shot. Our basketball team will never beat their team or come close. There. I said it…
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

ccsuhoops wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:55 pm Sorry, don’t see crushing defeat, every single time, motivating. Not to fans and not to players. Football? Sure, bring them on, we have a shot. Our basketball team will never beat their team or come close. There. I said it…
Politely - I absolutely disagree. We'll never win if we don't play that's for sure.

No one though a #16 would win in the Tournament until UMBC did it.

Yale beat UConn 45-44 in Storrs on 12/5/2014.
Wagner beat UConn 67-58 in Storrs on 11/11/2016.

Sorry, we can be just as good as UMBC, Yale, and Wagner. Sure, it will take a lot of things to go our way and we'll take our lumps most years, but I don't want us to avoid the game.

Don't forget, NEC teams do win these games every once in a while. CCSU beat Providence; RMU beat Kentucky in the NIT; Saint Francis beat Pittsburgh. These are RARE, but they do happen
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

I mean I’m all for the pay day don’t get me wrong but hate playing them in our down years, which is every year unfortunately. Perhaps I’ll change my tune in a few years. Until then, as a fan, I hate watching this game and losing by 30+ each year. At least there is money.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Another confirmed game:

Nov. 14 (Sun) at Brown
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

It looks like we are playing in the mid-major bracket of the Hall of Fame Classic at Mohegan Sun: https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 47842?s=20
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:01 pm It looks like we are playing in the mid-major bracket of the Hall of Fame Classic at Mohegan Sun: https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 47842?s=20
Not sure of the exact format or matchups, but the announcement of a 2-day showcase implies that the "mid majors" CCSU and UMass-Lowell will each play one of the "major headliners" in day 1 and then meet each other on the second day.

Great event. Not sure who we rather play OSU or NC State, but that's a good get just a few miles from campus. That's as close to "hosting" a major that we can ever get - a neutral site game at Mohegan vs a ACC or Big 12 team.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

CCSU is playing NC State on 11/16 at Mohegan Sun, UMass-Lowell on 11/17.

A nice opportunity to play a high-major at a quasi-home game. We need to get as many students/alumni there as possible. A nice test to see if Patrick Sellers and Tom Pincince can lead a campaign to get students interested/involved.
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:31 am CCSU is playing NC State on 11/16 at Mohegan Sun, UMass-Lowell on 11/17.

A nice opportunity to play a high-major at a quasi-home game. We need to get as many students/alumni there as possible. A nice test to see if Patrick Sellers and Tom Pincince can lead a campaign to get students interested/involved.
Very true. As we all know, they have their work cut out for them, but hopefully their perseverance will yield results. When I was last at Mohegan Sun, the low turnout vs. UVM and Columbia was saddening. UVM, by way of their fans, had the home court advantage! It's clearly an uphill battle, but one I'm sure the coaches and admin are ready and willing to pursue.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I feel like Central drew well in those UMass games at Mohegan some years back. Obviously, winning helps.

No surprise at the lackluster turnout last time we were in the building vs Vermont and Columbia. The program was in shambles and we lost those games by 30+.

Home games in New Britain will definitely be an easier sell, as Central fans historically don't travel in large numbers, but this is the type of games that build a real mid-major fan base

Can't predict attendence for a weekday games in a emerging post-COVID era, but with a new head coach, available vaccines, and the Mohegan dining and table games, you would expect (hope for) a good crowd.