UHart out of the AE????

Post by ccsuhoops »

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UHart out of the AE????

Post by J.J. »

We couldn't be that lucky! :)

I think they are doing the same thing we did in 2017 when we did they athletics study and dropped M/W Golf. I doubt they would drop out of D-I.

That being said, I would love to see them drop to D-III and try to compete with Trinity and Wesleyan, so we could join America East with our public peers! I will help fundraise the fees to join the AE! :)
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

One NCAA MBB tournament does not a D-1 team make.

I’m actually very surprised. I recall when they moved up, they had “free” post game concerts in the Civic Center by the likes of Smokey Robinson and others. They really put on a big presentation including accolades from the Courant, while all we got were nasty comments and critical articles.

I don’t know how they have done overall but I do know that CCSU has had moderate success in baseball, soccer (M&W), MBB and of course football. Also, didn’t the WBB team make the WNIT one year?

D-1 is expensive and very difficult to maintain. Even at the FBS level, only a handful of schools actually make money.

I just hope that CCSU isn’t thinking along these same lines. 🤞🏼
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

I doubt it. its not going to happen. It was just a study.

I would think that they would be better off just dropping baseball which is probably much more expensive than MBB, and averages 27 fans per game. Maybe going club in some other sports. Hartford's basketball MBB and WBB probably draw a 100 times more fans than all the other sports combined.

But if that did happen, would that mean their coach is looking for a job? I mean he really turned around their program. And he would not have to relocate. Also, maybe we could buy their 'arena' and take it apart piece by piece and assemble it on the CCSU campus.....Just sayin' :lol:
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

hilltopper wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:25 pm But if that did happen, would that mean their coach is looking for a job? I mean he really turned around their program. And he would not have to relocate. Also, maybe we could buy their 'arena' and take it apart piece by piece and assemble it on the CCSU campus.....Just sayin' :lol:
Let’s just annex the entire campus and call it “CCSU@Hartford” 😉
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

Whatever happens, don't give Gallagher the CCSU gig! LOL
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Feel bad for the student-athletes and the handful of fans they may have, but no love lost if Hartford drops to D-III. The best thing for Central Connecticut State would be if they dropped down. Yes, I'm actively rooting for that outcome, although despite media reports I think it's still unlikely.

As the old timers know, Detrick began Central's push for D-I status in 1979. Due to our own administrative and political challenges, it took almost a decade to actually make the move. By then CCSU was facing additional NCAA hurdles and Hartford put together its own plan and reclassified 2 years before us. That directly led to Central beginning as an Independent with no conference or NCAA access.

And even if Hartford does drop out if D-I, we still have a massive uphill battle to obtain AE membership. We would need to invest more resources in athletics and have complete administrative and political support to make a successful pitch. Until then, we just have to build the best NEC program we can and let everything else just work itself out.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Also, Let’s not forget football JJ and company. We have become a better than decent team and we should capitalize on it even if it means staying in the NEC who I feel would drop CCSU like a rock if the rest of the sports moved out. In fact, I think it’s safe to say that CCSU is one of the top three college teams in CT.

If leaving the NEC causes problems for football being in a stable league, I wouldn’t be in favor in it.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Skyhawkct wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:40 am Also, Let’s not forget football JJ and company. We have become a better than decent team and we should capitalize on it even if it means staying in the NEC who I feel would drop CCSU like a rock if the rest of the sports moved out. In fact, I think it’s safe to say that CCSU is one of the top three college teams in CT.

If leaving the NEC causes problems for football being in a stable league, I wouldn’t be in favor in it.
Sky - I agree and do not want to put football at risk, but I think there are other options. First, I would remind everyone both Monmouth and Robert Morris knew the consequences regarding football and still left the NEC. That should tell you something as their ADs and Presidents were well informed and made a risk-based decision. These were smart men and women who weighed all the information and decided to move on from the NEC for bigger opportunities. All change comes with risk and so we have to be well informed and well prepared to mitigate those risks.

Again, I'm putting the cart before the horse, because as of today Hartford isn't going anywhere and the AE has shown zero interest in inviting CCSU. So for all intents and purposes here, this is just message board chatter from interested fans that has absolutely no bearing on reality :)

In an ideal world, CCSU would replace Hartford in America East and the league would invite URI, Monmouth, and RMU as football-only affiliates give the league 10 members for basketball (18-game schedule) and 8 football teams (7-game schedule).

America East
1. Albany (FB)
2. Binghamton
3. Central Connecticut (FB)
4. Maine (FB)
5. UMBC
6. UMass-Lowell
7. New Hampshire (FB)
8. NJIT
9. Stony Brook (FB)
10. Vermont
+ Monmouth (FB affiliate)
+ Rhode Island (FB affiliate)
+ Robert Morris (FB affiliate)
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

In an ideal world, CCSU would replace Hartford in America East and the league would invite URI, Monmouth, and RMU as football-only affiliates give the league 10 members for basketball (18-game schedule) and 8 football teams (7-game schedule).
I like that idea.

Central is a perfect fit for the America East and UofH a perfect fit for the NEC. If they traded places the AE would be composed entirely of northeast state universities and the NEC would be composed entirely of northeast private universities.

But that is another scenario that is in the "not going to happen zone."
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

In terms of basketball, I think a move to AE would be a lateral one. AE is a better hoop conference, but that shouldn't be the only reason we make the move, or work to make the move. If I were looking at men's basketball conference prestige only, I wouldn't look to make switch until we could get into, say, the Colonial.

But...there's more to the picture to men's hoop (I see many of the posts above). If a move to the AE is significantly better for the department as a whole. have at it.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

jcframingham wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 am In terms of basketball, I think a move to AE would be a lateral one. AE is a better hoop conference, but that shouldn't be the only reason we make the move, or work to make the move. If I were looking at men's basketball conference prestige only, I wouldn't look to make switch until we could get into, say, the Colonial.

But...there's more to the picture to men's hoop (I see many of the posts above). If a move to the AE is significantly better for the department as a whole. have at it.
Correct. And my point has always been that a move to the America East is for ACADEMIC and INSTITUTIONAL reasons as much or more than it is for athletics. I know that it is much easier to keep the status quo and much harder to find ways to grow and take risks. We must embrace and want change that improves the university in all facets and I think athletics is a great way to start.

Look at it this way, we are basically just trading up from our original State college roots to the modern America East. Also, the AE is basically the legacy version of the Yankee Conference which was good enough for UConn for decades.

In 1935, we were charter members New England State Teachers Conference with the following members:
- Castleton (Vt.)
- Farmington (Me.)
- Fitchburg (Mass)
- Gorham (Me.)
- Keene (Mass.)
- New Britain (Conn.)
- Salem (Mass.)

In 1946, the Yankee Conference was created with the following state land-grant universities:
- Connecticut
- Maine
- Massachusetts
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- Vermont

We have a long history with Albany going back to our first varsity seasons in basketball and football. We go back to the Lowell Textile days and have even played Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire in our D-II era. We have shared our D-I transition history with UMBC as embers of both the ECC and NEC.

Without a doubt, joining with regional public universities in New England, NY, NJ, and MD is in our institutional best interests.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Skyhawkct wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:40 am Also, Let’s not forget football JJ and company. We have become a better than decent team and we should capitalize on it even if it means staying in the NEC who I feel would drop CCSU like a rock if the rest of the sports moved out. In fact, I think it’s safe to say that CCSU is one of the top three college teams in CT.

Gooooood point! Totally forgot about that. Totally agree!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

J.J. wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:23 am

Sky - I agree and do not want to put football at risk, but I think there are other options. First, I would remind everyone both Monmouth and Robert Morris knew the consequences regarding football and still left the NEC. That should tell you something as their ADs and Presidents were well informed and made a risk-based decision. These were smart men and women who weighed all the information and decided to move on from the NEC for bigger opportunities. All change comes with risk and so we have to be well informed and well prepared to mitigate those risks.

Again, I'm putting the cart before the horse, because as of today Hartford isn't going anywhere and the AE has shown zero interest in inviting CCSU. So for all intents and purposes here, this is just message board chatter from interested fans that has absolutely no bearing on reality :)

America East
1. Albany (FB)
2. Binghamton
4. Maine (FB)
5. UMBC
6. UMass-Lowell
7. New Hampshire (FB)
8. NJIT
9. Stony Brook (FB)
10. Vermont

That’s a freakin awesome idea! If only...
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

J.J. wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:23 am [quote=Skyhawkct post_id=47605 time=<a href="tel:1617975624">1617975624</a> user_id=8]
Also, Let’s not forget football JJ and company. We have become a better than decent team and we should capitalize on it even if it means staying in the NEC who I feel would drop CCSU like a rock if the rest of the sports moved out. In fact, I think it’s safe to say that CCSU is one of the top three college teams in CT.

America East
1. Albany (FB)
2. Binghamton
4. Maine (FB)
5. UMBC
6. UMass-Lowell
7. New Hampshire (FB)
8. NJIT
9. Stony Brook (FB)
10. Vermont
[/quote]

Good points, as always JJ. My concern is that I don’t think any league would take us for football only. Besides, our budget probably won’t allow us to play in any football league other than the NEC. I also know that the AE has been resistant to sponsoring football (which would be ideal).

Don’t get me wrong...we don’t belong in the NEC. It may be a mobile home in a community of McMansions, but it is home.

The last thing we should do is be forced to go independent in football. It was bad enough for our big (but ugly) sister...it would be a disaster for us.