Wallace enters the portal

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wallace enters the portal

Post by J.J. »

https://twitter.com/portal_updates/stat ... 04066?s=19

At this point we are less than a week from announcing a new head coach. Again, I don't blame the kids for looking, but the new coach has a lot of work to salvage a returning roster.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Wallace enters the portal

Post by CCSU4-3 »

At this point I'm more surprised Ian Krishnan is NOT in the Transfer Portal.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Who is even left at this point? Ola and Ian?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:17 am Who is even left at this point? Ola and Ian?
And Newkirk.

I have Ayangma still included on the Tracker, but I'd assume he's graduating and moving on. I just haven't seen anything official.

https://www.themidrangejumper.com/singl ... on-tracker
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Who is even left at this point? Ola and Ian?
According to VC, Newkirk is still on the roster.
Ayangma has another year of eligibility, but everything seems to indicate that he is gone. It would be nice if he would stay. If they had Ian, Newkirk, Ola, and Ayangma that would be a lot of available 'experience' minutes that could be complemented with newcomers. But the transfer portal is still open, so it could get worse.

It seems that the new coach is going to be starting pretty much from scratch. Expect to see a lot of freshman on next years team, but I think the position they are in is going to require the recruiting of some transfers.

On the one hand this is a tough position for the incoming HC but it also presents an opportunity to immediately bring in "his" guys.

CCSU MBB is worse off than when this most recent rebuilding process started 5 years ago. The new HC needs to be selected asap, so he can get started with the monumental task of rebuilding this program from the ground up.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

hilltopper wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:04 am CCSU MBB is worse off than when this most recent rebuilding process started 5 years ago. The new HC needs to be selected asap, so he can get started with the monumental task of rebuilding this program from the ground up.
Absolutely. The program is in worse condition than its was 5 years ago, as hard as that is to fathom.

We know that Howie's tenure ended ugly. His last 2 seasons he finished 9-51, and he was 46-103 over his last 5 years.

But in DM's 5 years he wins 6 fewer games (40-104), has multiple off-court issues, and sets the program back even further. He was 9-43 in his last 2 seasons.

This is as bad as CCSU fans have seen since the 1991 offseason, when Mike Brown resigned after 3 dreadful years to return to Seton Hall as an assistant. Again, there was a complete exodus of players many due to off-court issues. BTW - That was right after Pat Sellers' senior year. ;)

---
As for the kids in the portal. A lot of this was expected and in some cases was probably encouraged.

I'm not going to speculate about individuals, but we had more than a few players missing from the bench at times this year without explanation. I think we know that there were some kids that weren't coming back to CCSU under any circumstances. And I think a few others are rightfully just "testing the waters" and seeing what interest and opportunities are out there for them. Some may transfer out, but who knows.

I'm still somewhat hopeful that a few key players will remain on the roster with the new coach. We'll know a lot more next week.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

If I was the new coach, I would want a clean slate to be honest. The issues with the previous regime go beyond W's and L's. I'd worry I was getting a bunch of players who are not used to being held accountable and disciplined.

Ola and Newkirk are guys any coach will want around. No, neither should be playing significant minutes for an NEC contender. But both are high character student athletes. Newkirk is an Engineering major who is a stud in the classroom. Ola is a significant member of the campus, and heavily involved in a lot of good things happening up there.

Those things matter. Keep them as leaders and examples of what a CCSU student-athlete should be. The rest? I'm indifferent one way or the other. That's up to the next coach.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:51 am If I was the new coach, I would want a clean slate to be honest. The issues with the previous regime go beyond W's and L's. I'd worry I was getting a bunch of players who are not used to being held accountable and disciplined.

Ola and Newkirk are guys any coach will want around. No, neither should be playing significant minutes for an NEC contender. But both are high character student athletes. Newkirk is an Engineering major who is a stud in the classroom. Ola is a significant member of the campus, and heavily involved in a lot of good things happening up there.

Those things matter. Keep them as leaders and examples of what a CCSU student-athlete should be. The rest? I'm indifferent one way or the other. That's up to the next coach.
Couldn't agree more. =D> There was going to be a purge for multiple reasons, but keeping kids that can build a culture is more important than their stats.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

As per Verbal Commits, Wallace goes to LIU:
https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/k ... on-wallace