Welcome home Pat Sellers!

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome home Pat Sellers!

Post by J.J. »

It is now official and I am ready and very excited to support him and the team moving forward.

I think this quote from Tom P. tells me everything I need to know this was the right guy for us:

"His leadership qualities, vision and passion were evident throughout the interview process. He knows what it takes to be successful at CCSU and what the experience of being a Blue Devil does for our student-athletes."

#GoBlueDevils
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Welcome home Pat Sellers!

Post by CCSU4-3 »

An exciting day for CCSU alums everywhere.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

And the genuine complements he is getting as a person on Twitter is another sign this selection was bigger than basketball - it was about rebuilding a culture. Everyone mentions his work ethic and honest personality first.

That's not to say there won't be pressure here to win (and do it quickly), but he's going to be given a wide berth to do it right.

A huge statement will be who he brings in as his top assistant coach.

Then it on to recruiting. Honestly, he's got so much to do, I really hope he is getting all the support he needs. This is not going to be an easy rebuild.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

So excited for Pat! I truly believe he’s the right man for the job. Haven’t had this much excitement for ccsu basketball in quite a while. I know it will take time but also know he will get the job done! Go Big Blue!!!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Maybe a transfer or two will change their mind? Just sayin'. None of them have committed to a new school.

Anyway, Congratulations to Pat!

I wonder who he is going to bring in as his assistants? I am going to be looking at the Verbal Commits site on a regular basis. Looks like we need ten players.
Things are going to get interesting!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

I’m guessing Tom sets up a meeting with those on the transfer list to have a sit down with Pat. My assumption is we will see some kids take their names off. IMHO all of our kids are in a state of getting their feet wet, I don’t see many getting d-1 offers honestly. I assume Pat has a couple he likes. Maybe it’s not as easy to get back in as it was to say I want out. Time will tell.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

https://centralrecorder.org/77267/sport ... all-coach/

Ryan Jones knocked it out of the f'in park. Also; analytics!!!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:41 pm https://centralrecorder.org/77267/sport ... all-coach/

First, excellent reporting. Jones does a great job of talking to people, getting the quotes. He paints a good picture with his articles and doesn't let his own views or story be the focus. Honestly, some more experienced sportswriters could learn a thing of two from him.

Back to the article - really shows you the plan Pat has. The team is always a reflection of the coach. Building students that become leaders and reflect good values is the foundation. If you do that AND scout for talent and hard work, the basketball success will come.

It's is clear they want to build around 4-year players by focusing on HS kids first. I couldn't agree more. With so much focus on the portal, plus the extra year of COVID eligibility, he's got a great chance to steal some talent we otherwise wouldn't get. Focus this summer on HS recruits, and supplement to fill the gaps with portal/JC kids.

Also, it is clear how important it is to know how it's done at CCSU. Clearly Pat knows he's not dealing with Big East budgets or resources. He has to sell kids on him and the school. It has ALWAYS been that way so it's nice to hear thats the plan.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Good article! Sellers says all the right things, and its encouraging that he is fully aware of the situation, knows the pros and cons, and wants to be here.

The article says that there are four not in the transfer portal, does that mean that Ayangama is returning?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Check out the virtual introduction tomorrow on NEC Front Row!
Patrick Sellers will be introduced as CCSU men's basketball head coach on Friday, May 14, at 10:30 a.m. in Detrick Gym. Coach Sellers, along with others, will make remarks welcoming him back to his alma mater where he played at from 1987-91 and coached at from 1999-2003.

The press conference will be streamed live on NEC Front Row.
https://ccsubluedevils.com/sports/mbkb/ ... 0512h0vn6b
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by BigBlue92 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:41 pm https://centralrecorder.org/77267/sport ... all-coach/

“Analytics” and “Shot Quality”! And in the same sentence!
I’m in love!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

A great Press Conference: http://necfrontrow.com/game/8355

And interview with Bruce Biel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ghYQFzwt4

Some of my take-aways:
- It looks like Krishnan, Newkirk, Ola and Ayangma are returning. I had expected Ayangma to graduate and move on.
- Sellers says that he wants to bring back 3 of the CCSU players currently in the Portal (he did not say who).
- Ideally he'd bring in 4 freshman, which have been undervalued bc of the Transfer Portal, and potentially 2 transfers if they fit what he's trying to do. If not, he'll go with 6 freshmen (13 scholarships!).
- "Space and Pace" is a term I hear often, and it was nice to hear Sellers say it as well. Expect his teams to take a lot of 3s.
- He's looking for guys who can shoot and handle and have high IQ. He did not reference size or height. Again, shooting is the name of the game in 2021. This is a man who has adapted to the modern game.
- He wants to prioritize Connecticut and get the high school coaches back into Detrick Gym.
- This is a man who loves CCSU. I think I may have underestimated that during the process. It means a lot to him to run this program, and I think he will work tirelessly to build a winner.

As for who Sellers might bring back? Any coach would want a guy like Outlaw, who would really flourish in a "space and pace" offense, plus he can really defend. I'm also partial to Tre Mitchell. Maybe he'd want to bring back either Xavier Wilson or Wallace for some size? Or bet on the shooting of Baker and/or Reed?

Anyway- today is a great day to be a Blue Devil.
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

Outstanding!
This was not just a press conference, this was Inauguration Day!
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Any chance UConn's all time leading scorer, Chris Smith, ends up on his staff? Would seem to make sense.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ktuck911 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:00 am Any chance UConn's all time leading scorer, Chris Smith, ends up on his staff? Would seem to make sense.
As far as I'm aware, Smith has never coached. I'd prefer Sellers brings in guys with at least some experience, save for the DOBO who should at least have some GA experience if nothing else.