Now let's talk about the team lineup.

Lets talk some Hoops!
GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Now let's talk about the team lineup.

Post by GameDay »

I have no idea who is coming back and any new recruits. Do we have a team at this point ?
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Now let's talk about the team lineup.

Post by ccsuhoops »

Pretty sure it’s just Ola and Ian.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:22 pm Pretty sure it’s just Ola and Ian.
Newkirk.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Obviously CCSU is a few seasons away from 20 wins but rest assured Patrick will field a team of kids who can play this coming season.

As you guys know, at this level, coaches have connections who have connections who have connections...

We’ll be OK.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Right now its Ola, Krishnan, and Newkirk. Ayangama is eligible but since he had a Senior Day it is implied that he is graduating and moving on.
It would certainly help Pat's reconstruction project if he could get a couple of the transfers to rescind their request. Not only is he behind in recruiting and filling in up to 10 spots, but he does not even have a staff yet.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Pat has been around. There are surely guys he recruited who are still in the Portal.

As for the guys from last year's roster, I'd be SHOCKED if more than 2 or 3 of them returned. I believe there are a few who the school wouldn't allow back even if Sellers wanted them.

We don't even know what style he's looking to play. Once he starts offering guys, we can begin extrapolating.
callmecasual
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by callmecasual »

Need some assistants before you can even lock down the roster. Any whispers on who he will bring in?
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

callmecasual wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:44 pm Need some assistants before you can even lock down the roster. Any whispers on who he will bring in?
Baba Diallo is already back.

I'm sure they are already fast at work trying to rebuild the roster, while also working on filling the staff. It's not like they can't multi-task.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I agree with everyone here.

There might be a few guys Pat will be able to get to stay - but a few aren't coming back under any circumstances. We had too many players missing games last year for a range of issues, so starting with just 3-4 returning players is not a bad thing.

Pat has been around and has a ton connections. I have no doubt some high school and prep coaches are feeding him leads now. Remember he was brought in to fix a culture and a program, so I don't expect many immediate signings, but it will be a busy summer. He will have a full roster of capable D-I players. I'd like to see a few kids get here for Summer school, but I bet we have some kids sign right before the fall semester.

I'm hoping he can get his top assistant on board very soon. Pat and Baba can do a lot, but you really need to get a staff onboard before you worry too much about recruiting. I think there will be players available for a while, but getting a coaching staff is the #1 priority IMHO.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:24 pm

I'm hoping he can get his top assistant on board very soon. Pat and Baba can do a lot, but you really need to get a staff onboard before you worry too much about recruiting. I think there will be players available for a while, but getting a coaching staff is the #1 priority IMHO.
#1 priority, absolutely.

But Sellers surely already knows: a) how he wants to play (fast, slow, defensive-minded, and a million of other variables); and b) what TYPES of players he wants. While they won't completely build the roster without the rest of the staff, he's surely not sitting on his hands. Watching tape, talking to former players, etc. is certainly going on as we speak.

I know for a fact that many of the preps in New England are happy with this hire. He's probably already taking calls with coaches who have guys who remain unsigned.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

According to this, he's already mapped out his plans for rebuilding the roster, as expected.

https://centralrecorder.org/77267/sport ... all-coach/

I'm hopeful Krishnan returns, as well as Ola/Newkirk (more for depth and leadership). Maybe Sellers can convince Ayangma to come back, which would help with depth.

Next year's roster will be young, but with the right transfers they can be competitive while keeping the focus on the future. It should be a fun few weeks for sure.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Couple of questions, why wouldn’t Ayungma come back? It’s free school for God’s sakes. Take it while you can get it. Also, what is wrong with the culture of the basketball team? I know DM brought in one or two bad eggs but they are long gone. I also know he foolishly thought he could be there buddy and have them respect him which I’m sure caused problems but this thread is full of talk about Toro wanting quality person over quality basketball player, but why is it so bad that this is such a huge requirement. Don’t get me wrong, we don’t need a team of thugs but why is it so bad and how?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

I think the general sense was DM was too much of a "players coach" and the team wasn't very disciplined on or off the court. Of course, he had some really great, hard working kids over his 5 years (and a few we probably could have done without). But even with talent, they were lost and couldn't win games - so something wasn't working right in practice and in the locker room.

Without rehashing the past and throwing shade on Donyell, I just think school is looking for a new direction and vision. This job is not a vanity project - it takes hours and hours of time and dedication. It takes a willingness to do more with less. It is a thankless job in many ways, but if you're a guy like Pat he knows what it takes to make it in the grind. I don't think a former NBA star understood everything the job entailed at Central.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 pm Couple of questions, why wouldn’t Ayungma come back? It’s free school for God’s sakes. Take it while you can get it. Also, what is wrong with the culture of the basketball team? I know DM brought in one or two bad eggs but they are long gone. I also know he foolishly thought he could be there buddy and have them respect him which I’m sure caused problems but this thread is full of talk about Toro wanting quality person over quality basketball player, but why is it so bad that this is such a huge requirement. Don’t get me wrong, we don’t need a team of thugs but why is it so bad and how?
I have no idea, but Ayangma is from Cameroon and could just want to go back home. Or he could be in line for a pro contract in the Basketball Africa League, which is new this year and has a team in Cameroon. Or he's just ready to move on from basketball.

As for the culture; as J.J. alluded to it, things were not good behind the scenes. There's no reason to go on here and crush Donyell, but things weren't exactly rosy on the court or off. On campus behavior and academics were a problem, as was the discipline on the court (both in practice and in games). It was more than "one or two bad eggs".

It's also worth noting that literally every new coach talks about culture in their press conference, so it's one of those "buzzwords" that is pretty overrated. But in this case, I do think it's worthy.
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

And even if we just focus on the on-court stuff, it was obvious there was a lack of preparation, direction, and discipline - a culture set by the head coach. I don't know enough to comment on particular players and I wouldn't even suggest we had many "bad apples" or whatever. Every coach at CCSU has had student-athletes that have had academic or other issues (serious or not), and that is not the point. I think it comes down to any issues players had were further enabled by the coaching style. Instead, they should have been addressed so they can grow as student, men, and basketball players.

I would estimate about 90% of the end of half plays were disasters. Many times we didn't get a good, clean shot off. I think DM had put together a good roster of D-I talent, but was unable to direct and motivate the players.

I'll say it again so this isn't personal, but even with some issues off the court, DM would probably still be here if he just won more games. His style was a "players coach" and not a disciplinarian. It's a style that may work in the NBA or at a P5 school, but CCSU doesn't recruit the kind of individual talent that makes that a successful strategy. He didn't have the Xs and Os and enough talent to make it work. A 5-year, 40-104 record speaks for itself.

Sellers has already mentioned he is taking a page from Howie's book - H.A.T. (Humble, Appreciative, Thankful). Those are very selfless words that puts others in front of the individual. I don't think we saw anything like that philosophy or style of the former coach or team.